San Juan, PR - Dec 2010

Kruz Guys

Besides beaches and water-related activites, what recommendations do you have for sightseeing in San Juan? Are there any good, reputable local tour companies / guides that you recommend? Is it safe and easy to explore on your own?

Thanks

:D

We spent 8 days in Puerto Rico last Christmas and enjoyed our time so much that we ended up taking a cruise out of San Juan. First of all, the waves are higher during the winter than summer. I recommend Isla Verde Beach over Condado, especially during the winter.

Here are my suggestions:

1) Old San Juan - visit both forts (El Morro and San Cristobal). You can take the free trolley between the forts.

2) Rent a car and drive to Guavate. This is an easy drive (if you leave early) and a great way to spend time with the locals and eat some great food. Guavate is popular on Sunday. Get there around 11:00 to avoid the traffic.

3) Fly out of Isla Grande Airport (near Old San Juan) to Culebra to visit Flamenco Beach. This is a great beach. However, I would check on the water conditions before going there. If there waves are too high then there is another beach where the water conditions will be perfect. Some locals took us to this beach and we had a fabulous day.

4) You could consider spending time either staying or driving to the East side of the island (Luquillo or Fajado). Snorkeling excursions and the ferry to Culebra and Vieques leaves out of Fajardo. Luquillo Beach is popular. El Yunque Rainforest is also in the area.

5) Ziplining is popular.

6) Bio-Bay tour - if the moon is dim. Check the moon calendar. Take the tour out of Vieques. You can do this even if you stay in the San Juan area.

I have several books that I picked up in Puerto Rico which have tours. Feel free to email me at: dcikon2@aol.com if you have questions.

We may end up down there again soon.

Gary

We spent 8 days in Puerto Rico last Christmas and enjoyed our time so much that we ended up taking a cruise out of San Juan. First of all, the waves are higher during the winter than summer. I recommend Isla Verde Beach over Condado, especially during the winter.

Here are my suggestions:

1) Old San Juan - visit both forts (El Morro and San Cristobal). You can take the free trolley between the forts.

2) Rent a car and drive to Guavate. This is an easy drive (if you leave early) and a great way to spend time with the locals and eat some great food. Guavate is popular on Sunday. Get there around 11:00 to avoid the traffic.

3) Fly out of Isla Grande Airport (near Old San Juan) to Culebra to visit Flamenco Beach. This is a great beach. However, I would check on the water conditions before going there. If there waves are too high then there is another beach where the water conditions will be perfect. Some locals took us to this beach and we had a fabulous day.

4) You could consider spending time either staying or driving to the East side of the island (Luquillo or Fajado). Snorkeling excursions and the ferry to Culebra and Vieques leaves out of Fajardo. Luquillo Beach is popular. El Yunque Rainforest is also in the area.

5) Ziplining is popular.

6) Bio-Bay tour - if the moon is dim. Check the moon calendar. Take the tour out of Vieques. You can do this even if you stay in the San Juan area.

I have several books that I picked up in Puerto Rico which have tours. Feel free to email me at: dcikon2@aol.com if you have questions.

We may end up down there again soon.

Gary

We appreciate your information. Excellent. This trip we plan on arrivng a couple of days before boarding thip in San Juan. We docked in San Juan for a couple of hours one time on our way back to Miami and only had a chance to see Old San Juan. With your information and other that we are gathering, I'm sure we will have a great 2 days prior to sailing. Our home email is stephenandtom@att.net. Thanks again for your information. Stephen

Archived