White Pass Rail--chances of getting a ticket that day?

HMT213

Here's my dilemma: We have a 2 year old and the cruise line wants to charge us $60 for him even though White Pass doesn't charge for 2 year olds.

I spoke w/ the White Pass Railway a few months back and they told me they are "booked" for the day that we are going to be in port (we are going in August). They told me I should book through the cruise ship. Then I talked to a private tour operator in Skagway and they told me that they are not actually booked that they have a "deal" w/ the cruise ships so that you have to book w/ them but that I could most likely go to the ticket office the day of and get a ticket when they don't sell all the seats to the cruise lines. Has anyone done this? What are my chances? This ticks me off big time!!! Grr!!!

When you are on a cruise ship they do everything they can to have you book thru your cruise ship...the ships are their major vendors. However the have lots of capacity and hold seats back for people arriving by ferry and car. You should have no trouble at all walking to the station and booking on the day of.

The ship charges for a child's ticket, but the train actually doesn't? That is just plain wrong.

Take along plenty of pre-packaged snacks and drinks. It is OK to take commercially packaged items off the ship.

Part of your experince will be convincing your child to use the toilet on the train.

Here's my dilemma: We have a 2 year old and the cruise line wants to charge us $60 for him even though White Pass doesn't charge for 2 year olds.

I spoke w/ the White Pass Railway a few months back and they told me they are "booked" for the day that we are going to be in port (we are going in August). They told me I should book through the cruise ship. Then I talked to a private tour operator in Skagway and they told me that they are not actually booked that they have a "deal" w/ the cruise ships so that you have to book w/ them but that I could most likely go to the ticket office the day of and get a ticket when they don't sell all the seats to the cruise lines. Has anyone done this? What are my chances? This ticks me off big time!!! Grr!!!

Did you try going to the railroad's website and making a reservation? wpyr.com

What cruiseline are going to be sailing? I was on Carnival's page last night to compare the price of booking through them or directly with White Pass. There was an Icon on the excursion page that stated there was no charge for children 3 and under provided they were going to be sitting in someones lap and not using a seat of their own. Not sure what the policy is on other cruise lines.

Archived