Mobile, AL Terminal question

Purplesaurus

I live in Mobile, so I have no need to walk from downtown, (I rarely even go downtown.) but I can say that the terminal is close to downtown. I've seen posts about people walking to the terminal from downtown hotels.

• 4 weeks later...

When we were in that line a couple of months ago, we noticed a lot of cabs cutting across to a street to the right of where we were. I think that led to a dropoff area. You can walk from just about anywhere in the area. However, beware that &^%$# cop going down the line asking if you are going on the cruise and telling you to get in another line behind a cop car. He will lead you to the remote lot, that if you are not in the best of shape or have a lot of luggage, is too far to walk from. The bus is slow to arrive and you get to wait in a line in the heat and humidity for the next one, which never came while we were there. Thank goodness a couple of entreprenuers were taking people in their van from there to the terminal for $5 a person.

I live in Mobile and have sailed CCL twice. First time a friend dropped us off. We got there very early. She dropped us off on a street and we just walked to the terminal with our roll ons. No questions except to check our tickets. Just walked in as I remember. Also, just walked out after the sailing, via Customs to the curb to be picked up. That was when the Holiday was in town. (one each, overnight).

Second time was last Dec 09. We elected to drive. Got there around 2:00 pm. It was sooo mega crowded as the Fantasy is a much large ship. We felt blessed to get a parking spot up on the roof. I had to work that day and couldn't get there sooner.

We are scheduled for this Dec on the Elation. We will try to get there sooner this time. Had a blast both sailings and looking forward to the next. HOpe this helps.

If you are staying at a downtown hotel, there is a FREE trolley service (moda!) that runs every ten minutes in a 3 mile loop around downtown. The terminal is one of the stops. This is one of the best kept secrets in Mobile and the terminal/Carnival staff probably will not tell you about it. There is a phone number in the bottom right corner of the map that you can call for info.

http://www.mobile.org/pdf/downtown.pdf

If you are staying at a downtown, beltline (off I-65), or Tillman's Corner area hotel or motel there is a van shuttle service that you can use. Downtown hotels are $5pp, beltline hotels $10pp, and Tillman's Corner hotels $15pp. Call 251-633-5693 or go to:

http://www.mobilebaytransportation.com/

If your hotel offers a shuttle service, then you are good. If not, these are good alternatives to consider.

http://www.mobile.org/vis_getaround.php#publictrans

If you are staying at a downtown hotel, there is a FREE trolley service (moda!) that runs every ten minutes in a 3 mile loop around downtown. The terminal is one of the stops. This is one of the best kept secrets in Mobile and the terminal/Carnival staff probably will not tell you about it. There is a phone number in the bottom right corner of the map that you can call for info.

http://www.mobile.org/pdf/downtown.pdf

If you are staying at a downtown, beltline (off I-65), or Tillman's Corner area hotel or motel there is a van shuttle service that you can use. Downtown hotels are $5pp, beltline hotels $10pp, and Tillman's Corner hotels $15pp. Call 251-633-5693 or go to:

http://www.mobilebaytransportation.com/

If your hotel offers a shuttle service, then you are good. If not, these are good alternatives to consider.

http://www.mobile.org/vis_getaround.php#publictrans

Thanks for this terrific information!!

Does the moda get caught in the traffic going to the port? I'm thinking about taking it, but don't want to risk getting stuck in traffic.

Also, which direction does it travel. We'll be catching it by the Admiral Semmes...will we have to ride all the way around downtown, or does it head east from there?

Oh - and we can definitely board with luggage?

Thanks,

Ashley :)

Thanks for this terrific information!!

Does the moda get caught in the traffic going to the port? I'm thinking about taking it, but don't want to risk getting stuck in traffic.

Also, which direction does it travel. We'll be catching it by the Admiral Semmes...will we have to ride all the way around downtown, or does it head east from there?

Oh - and we can definitely board with luggage?

Thanks,

Ashley :)

I'm not sure which direction it travels. I'm guessing it travels west from the Rad because Dauphin St. is one way going east, so you would probably have to ride it all the way around the loop. You can call the number in the bottom right corner of the map for the details. Moda is basically a shuttle for downtown workers to get around without having to walk too far. I've never actually used it because when I have business downtown, I park at the civic center (cheapest parking downtown) and walk everywhere.

Archived