Belize with a 4 year old? Bannister Island?

heymonkey89

I'm trying to figure out what to do in Belize with our 4 year old. We've been to Goff's Cay several times (not with our child) and enjoyed it. I figure that is something we can do with our child but I was hoping to try something new.

I've been looking at booking the Manatee Watch, Reef Snorkel and Beach break.

Is this something that would be good for our 4 year old? I doubt he would snorkel, I'm not comfortable with him snorkeling off a boat (though i might change my mind). Do you see a lot of dolphins and Manatees? Can me and my kid just sit on the boat while my husband snorkels?

Which would you do with a 4 year old?

I'm trying to figure out what to do in Belize with our 4 year old. We've been to Goff's Cay several times (not with our child) and enjoyed it. I figure that is something we can do with our child but I was hoping to try something new.

Is this something that would be good for our 4 year old? I doubt he would snorkel, I'm not comfortable with him snorkeling off a boat (though i might change my mind). Do you see a lot of dolphins and Manatees? Can me and my kid just sit on the boat while my husband snorkels?

Defiantely, Bannister Island for a 4 yr old. We booked through Eco Tours, they are great & alot cheaper than the other agencies/cruise.

We didn't see one manatee or dolphin (and it was a pretty long time in the still air and sun beating down), the water was INCREDIBLY rough when we went snorkeling (yet Coral Breezes still said we'd be fine, which turned out was not the case) AND they didn't have a child's life jacket for my 6 YO (they just wanted to twist an adult life jacket around his waist and tie a couple of knots).

Bannister itself was nice, but the snorkeling was a nightmare (safety-wise) and the manataee watch was long and hot (even for an adult).

If I ever go back to Belize with kids again, until they are teens, it will be a sea day for us.

And yet another rave for Eco Tours.

We used them in June and they were wonderful. We had booked them so that my husband could go snorkeling while the kids and I hung out at the beach. It was beautiful and such a relaxing day! The crew was great and so helpful. My husband said that even on the snorkeling portion on the tour the crew was helping everyone and making them all feel comfortable! They really took their time to point out finger and one of the crew members even swam down to the bottom to get fish out of hiding for everyone to see.

On the way back from Bannister Island we were informed that since we had a little time, we were going to look for dolphins and manatees. Much to our surprise we saw 3 dolphins and a manatee. The crazy thing is that this was not even advertised on their website...so it was an added bonus! What a wonderful surprise! I was so happy with our tour, I would book them again on future trips to Belize and highly recommend them.

Is Eco tours teh only way to get to bannister island or are there other ways of getting there. $30 per person seems like alot for a ride to the beach and a lounge chair. We haev two 3-year-olds, so we just want to sit on the beach.

Is Eco tours teh only way to get to bannister island or are there other ways of getting there. $30 per person seems like alot for a ride to the beach and a lounge chair. We haev two 3-year-olds, so we just want to sit on the beach.

I know that Coral Breeze and Eco Tours go there but I am not sure about anyone else. You may want to email Eco Tours, your 3 year olds may be free. The kids price for beach only is $25.

Here's a thought... we bought snorkel boards for our kids (3 and 4) when we went to Hawaii and I am bringing them on our cruise in Oct, too -- they are inflatable with a dive mask window to look through and are perfect for little ones... you could do that and go back to bannister or anywhere else.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I will have to try the snorkel boards, though I am not too sure if my kids will be willing to try it. They are swimmmers all teh way. They hate using any kids of "floaties." I might pick a couple up if I can find some cheap ones.

Archived