GTaylor: Can you HELP?

I have read several of your reviews on this section of the boards, and I find your information so helpful. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.

Here is my question:

DH and myself will be making our 4th trip to St. Maarten in August, on board the Serenade of the Seas. We are looking for a nice beach with very good snorkeling. We have been to Dawn Beach, and found it a bit too rough. We don't want to go to Orient, and prefer to avoid crowded areas. We have also been to the tugboat snorkeling site, and don't feel the need to return. We would prefer something with beach chairs and maybe a place to get a few snacks and/or drinks, but this is not a necessity if the snorkeling will make up for the lack of amenities.

We arrive at 8:00 am and leave at 5:00 pm, so we have the whole day. Our only planned activity is to buy some more of that amazing GuavaBerry Rum on our return to the ship.

Please help us!

Hey there,

I'm pretty sure that I've never posted that St. Maarten was known for the snorkeling, and it just isn't. That said, the best that we've experienced on the island has been at Creole Rock, off of Grand Case, on the Northern side of the island.

I would suggest that you consider a day at Grand Case Beach Club.

th_DSCN4463.jpg

(click)

Creole Rock Watersports still says on their website that they operate at GCBC.

I believe that our Karysa has been there recently, perhaps she has the real scoop.

gary

p.s. Regarding Dawn Beach. The wave action there depends on the recent weather, as it faces the open Atlantic, any recent storm action hits it face on. If there hasn't been any active weather prior to your visit it might be a good alternative to Grand Case / Creole Rock.

th_DSCF0347.jpg

(click)

Thank you Thank you Thank you! I know St. Maarten is not known best for snorkeling, but that is what DH really wants to do, plus lay on the beach. I will keep these beaches in mind. We will also watch the weather, and reconsider Dawn Beach. We loved the beach area, and the snorkeling was decent, but the waves were pretty rough the last time we were there.

I stayed at GCBC last summer and we were there for 6 days before we snorkeled around the rocks that divide the two beaches on the property. We were pleasantly surprised as just like Gary has mentioned we had not experienced very good snorkeling in St. Martin in recent years. At GCBC the fish were interesting and blended well in their environment and the water is very shallow in areas so we had great visibility. I have never been to Creole Rock to snorkel although it has been on my list and it is again for my next trip in the summer.

I mentioned earlier this year that I noticed on their website that the watersports booth at GCBC had changed names and was not called GCBC watersports but Creole Rock watersports and the website sure made it sound like it was open to the public on Petite Plague beach. They run trips out to snorkel Creole Rock and other day trips and they also rent snorkel equipment, float mats and kayaks plus they advertise beach bar and food service by hoisting a flag on your beach chair. The question I will ask Sebastian at the watersports desk is: How do you access the services that he provides if you are not staying a GCBC because it is a gated resort for both vehicles and pedestrians alike? I will post the answer when I get back.

Regarding the other known spots for snorkeling from the beaches in St. Martin we really did not find the snorkeling very good on our trip in March. At that time we did not snorkel at Dawn because the surf was too strong by the rocks. We did see a stingray at Pinel Island and even if the snorkeling is not great at Pinel anymore it sure made for a great beach day. Hopefully I will get back before you go and will have more information to pass on.

Karysa said: "gated resort for both vehicles and pedestrians alike"

There is a public access walkway to the beach. We've used it.

It is just beyond the auto entrance into the resort.

I thought I had a photo of it in my PhotoBucket, but guess not.

I'll look for it and update the album.

gary

Karysa said: "gated resort for both vehicles and pedestrians alike"

There is a public access walkway to the beach. We've used it.

It is just beyond the auto entrance into the resort.

I thought I had a photo of it in my PhotoBucket, but guess not.

I'll look for it and update the album.

gary

This makes access easier, I did not know that. We were told to use a code to open the gate when we stayed at GCBC last summer. On the Creole Watersports website there is no mention of public access either as it says "Ask for Seb at the Hotel's Security Gate". I will walk beyond the car entrance when I am back again in the summer and I will look for a public access and report back on that. It may still be there but they just don't want to advertise it.

We have gone to GCBC many times but never stayed there - including on June 4 and 5 this year. You can just hit the intercom and explain that you are going to watersports or ask a security guy (if you see one) to help you get in. If that does not work - and it almost always does - just walk down access path between GCBC and huge villa to beach and then up to watersports. We did snorkel trip with Sebastian on June 5 and had a great time. $35pp. Other side of Creole Rock is some of best snorkeling in SXM.

Cruise Facility to Grand Case is not a posted rate. The closest approximation would be to Cul de Sac for Pinel Island, which is about the same distance in miles and time.

That rate was recently $25 for two, each way.

th_DSCN3858.jpg

(click)

There MIGHT be a small premium.

From the Cruise Facility, I would allow 40 minutes to Grand Case or 45 minutes to GCBC, and then hope for as little as 20 minutes outbound, 30 minutes for the return.

gary

Cruise Facility to Grand Case is not a posted rate. The closest approximation would be to Cul de Sac for Pinel Island, which is about the same distance in miles and time.

That rate was recently $25 for two, each way.

th_DSCN3858.jpg

(click)

There MIGHT be a small premium.

From the Cruise Facility, I would allow 40 minutes to Grand Case or 45 minutes to GCBC, and then hope for as little as 20 minutes outbound, 30 minutes for the return.

gary

Great! Thanks!

This is fascinating to me as I have seen this question asked before and the public access to Petitie Plague was never mentioned. Good to know. For those on later leaving cruises, Sunset Cafe at the GCBC is a great place to watch the sunset and they have 2 for 1 drink specials at that time. Grand Case comes to life after the sun sets and along with the fine dining there are many spots including Sunset Cafe, Calmos Cafe and the Lolas where you can enjoy the sunset/see the town come to life and enjoy a nice meal before heading back to the ship.

This is fascinating to me as I have seen this question asked before and the public access to Petitie Plague was never mentioned. Good to know. For those on later leaving cruises, Sunset Cafe at the GCBC is a great place to watch the sunset and they have 2 for 1 drink specials at that time. Grand Case comes to life after the sun sets and along with the fine dining there are many spots including Sunset Cafe, Calmos Cafe and the Lolas where you can enjoy the sunset/see the town come to life and enjoy a nice meal before heading back to the ship.

I wish we could do this, but our ship leaves at 5:00!!

Archived