Traveller's Cheques

mexico5

Hi, we will be giving our US$ credit card for our on board account and hope that they don't convert to CDN then convert back, etc...with all of the extra charges (Princess did that but NCL got it right both times!) BUT if we decide to just pay off our shipboard account can we do it with traveller's cheques?

Is there a fee to cash the cheques on board?

Thanks!

Wow - small world! I live in Coach Hill.

Which cruise and ship are you booked on? We just got back from the Rotterdam 33-day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise, and with this crappy weather, do I ever want to go back!!!

This was our first HAL cruise too, after several with Princess and Royal Caribbean.

Let me know if you need more info.

Shelley

We are on the Oosterdam going to the Mexican Riviera in December. We chose this cruise because we are tired of having to spend almost $2000. on airfare to Florida for the Caribbean cruises! Plus, while we have both done this itinerary, we haven't done it together so it will be great!

Loved NCL and Princess was pretty good too. Wanted to try a new line and now that HAL has the dining option of having a table for 2 and eating anytime we decided to go for it!

I'm aware that it is a tad older as far as age goes, but we aren't into late night parties and stuff...we are a boring couple in our 40's!

How did you like HAL compared to Princess?

I guess I hijacked my own thread!

Mexico5, I *once* had that problem on HAL, converting to C$ for a US$ denominated card (issued from a Michigan bank!)

The front desk was puzzled, as they were trying to be SO HELPFUL....I don't think they really followed my explanation, but "the customer is always right"....

On a May trip we used U.S. dollar traveller's cheques to pay off most of our account a couple of days before the end of the cruise but they posted the remaining bit to our U.S. Credit card. We've found that with the fluctuating Canadian dollar that we've come out ahead on exchange rates with a U.S. dollar bank account and a U.S. dollar VISA.

We are on the Oosterdam going to the Mexican Riviera in December. We chose this cruise because we are tired of having to spend almost $2000. on airfare to Florida for the Caribbean cruises! Plus, while we have both done this itinerary, we haven't done it together so it will be great!

Loved NCL and Princess was pretty good too. Wanted to try a new line and now that HAL has the dining option of having a table for 2 and eating anytime we decided to go for it!

I'm aware that it is a tad older as far as age goes, but we aren't into late night parties and stuff...we are a boring couple in our 40's!

How did you like HAL compared to Princess?

I guess I hijacked my own thread!

We loved HAL! In the beginning, we may have judged the crew to be a little "standoff-ish" but I think they were just trying to gauge which passengers they could loosen up for. After a few days we found them to be very friendly and fun, yet still extremely respectful and accommodating, which I don't find to be as evident with Princess or RCI. Also, there are less announcements, plus not the hard sell for booze around the pool, like everywhere else.

The food was better, I thought, too.

We had quite a varied demographic on this longer cruise, but being a 33 day cruise there were, of course, more retired people. (I'm a still-working 50 something and mom is a fun 82 year old) We loved the relaxed atmosphere. We're not partiers either, but there was still lots to see and do and it was just perfect for us!

Archived