Ice Wine

FurKids

Someone told me to get some Ice Wine when we were in Alaska. Is there such a thing and if so, is it any good? I know everyones opinion on wine differes but just wanted some general feedback. Thanks.

Someone told me to get some Ice Wine when we were in Alaska. Is there such a thing and if so, is it any good? I know everyones opinion on wine differes but just wanted some general feedback. Thanks.

PLease don't think that just because Alaska is cold, they produce Ice Wine!! As the other person said Ice Wine can come from Canada, the US or Germany to mention a few. Ice Wine is made by allwoing the skins of the grapes to freeze lightly. This concentrates the sugar thus making the wine incredibly sweet and wonderful. It is expensive but well worth it. Give it a try if you find some before you cruise or better yet take some on board with you.

Cheers, Kenn

Ice wine is produced here in British Columbia and is widely available in liquor stores. It is produced from a grape (sometimes a cherry) that is permitted to remain on the vine until it is frozen in a frost. The sugar content of the grape at that point is very high and it produces a very sweet wine with an alcohol strength of about 20% by volume. It is expensive and is a dessert wine.

I was down in our local liquor strore this afternoon and check on ice wine...I have a bottle unopened in the fridge that someone gave me a year ago...it is 20% alcohol by volume but that is at the high end of the scale...it starts at about 12% and goes up from there. There were probably 20 different brands on the shelf starting at about $16 and topping out at about $60 for a .350 litre bottle.

Ice wine, as some of the previous posters have said, is produced in Canada - mainly in the Niagara region and in British Columbia. In my opinion, it is to die for! However, I find people either love it or hate it. It is very sweet and as a previous poster said, it is a dessert wine.

Ice wine used to only be found in white varieties, mainly Vidal and Riesling. Some nice red ones are popping up now... Shiraz, Merlots and Cabernet Francs.

Yes, they can be expensive, but grab one and try it if you get the chance. They are wonderful.

We have several wineries in Wisconsin, especially in the Door County Peninsula region that also make wonderful Ice Wine. Our favorite is from the Door Peninsula Winery, but was about $30 for a .375ml bottle. Definitely a treat, definitely a dessert wine.

dogdoc2002

Some 'Late Harvest' wines might give a person some idea of how good Ice Wine is. I am afraid that I used to know a wine maker who would pass off 'late harvest' as 'ice wine'. Happily he is no longer in business.

As far as I know it is not produced in Alaska, in fact the only winery that I have visited is in Kodiak, I even have a shirt to prove it.:)

john

When I first heard of Ice Wine, I thought it was a Wine Slurpee :o

Well if you put your bottle of wine (premixed martinis and margaritas too) outside in 30 below and forget it for a bit, that's what you get :D

Susan in Anchorage :)

Well if you put your bottle of wine (premixed martinis and margaritas too) outside in 30 below and forget it for a bit, that's what you get :D

Susan in Anchorage :)

One burst bottle.:D

john

The only place I know of the makes Ice Wine in Alaska is Denali Winery. They refer to it as Gold in a Bottle. It goes for about $35 for a .350 litre bottle.

I've never heard of Ice Wine but it sounds delicious since I love sweet wines! Since it's made in Canada, do you think we would find it in Caribou Crossing or Vancouver?

It's made all over the world. It's not native to Canada. I used to drink Ice Wine imported from Germany. I doubt they imported it from Canada. Sorry, many people have pointed out it's available elsewhere. You can buy it Alaska before your ship sails.

How are people bringing wine on the cruise? I thought we can't bring any alcohol on the ship.

You can bring two bottles of wine when you get on the ship. NO bottles of alcohol are allowed. It's all in the Celebrity rules you agree to when you book the cruise. Have a great cruise.;)

I've never heard of Ice Wine but it sounds delicious since I love sweet wines! Since it's made in Canada, do you think we would find it in Caribou Crossing or Vancouver?

I can almost guarantee you'll be able to pick up a bottle after security from the Vancouver airport. At least I have in Calgary and Edmonton.

I find the whites to be pretty insipid, especially at the cheaper end. Less so with the newer reds (which are not traditional - Eiswein originated in Germany, I believe)

I can almost guarantee you'll be able to pick up a bottle after security from the Vancouver airport. At least I have in Calgary and Edmonton.

I find the whites to be pretty insipid, especially at the cheaper end. Less so with the newer reds (which are not traditional - Eiswein originated in Germany, I believe)

Thanks!

It is widely available in Vancouver both in government and private liquor stores. There is a government liquor store in Harbour Centre on Cordova St. just a few blocks east of Canada Place...it's not open on Sundays.

Hello dogdoc2002!

Where in Wisconsin are you from? I live in Oshkosh, hubby has 2 sisters that live in Door County so we get to visit frequently - love the area!!. I have found Ice Wine at Aldi's, Sam's Club in Appleton and at World Market also in Appleton and under $20 a bottle. I LOVE it nice and chilled and NOT necessarily for dessert:D.

Yummmm..............

As previous posters mentioned, ice wine is readily available in Vancouver. If you cannot find one, look for a "late harvest" wine. I believe the late harvest wines are the 2nd or 3rd pressing of the ice wine grapes. Those wines are still really nice, but not quite as sweet.

Archived