Golden on 20 March 2005

truebrit

Are there any Brits flying from Manchester, England on 20 March 2005 on the Virgin Atlantic dedicated flight to San Juan, Puerto Rico, for a 2 week back to back cruise on the Golden Princess?

This will be our 5th and 6th cruise with Princess so perhaps we could arrange a meet up for a glass of foaming sustenance?

In case you think we Brits are being insular, we'd like to hear from anyone on these cruise dates, or has someone already started a thread?

I'm new to this newer format of Cruisecritic boards since I cruised in February 2004, so I am trying to find my way around.

Hasta luego

John

Hi John,

We'll be on the first half of your cruise but we're from New Jersey!! My name on the boards here is Lovebrits. I chose it because I love Brittanies (the dogs - and yes I know they're of French origin). I do love all things British, too.

If you go to the Roll Call board, you'll find a 2/20/05 Golden Princess thread.

I'm so excited!! Are you packed yet?

Jan

Hi Lovebrits,

Thanks for replying.

No we haven't packed yet .... we're recently back from Mexico so we tend to take the 'stuff for washing' out and leave the rest in the cases. It saves us re-inventing the wheel each time as we like to travel a lot.

We still get a tingle of excitement when we travel, especially if it's to be a cruise. We especially enjoy the cruise experience and ( to be be quite truthful) we find most Caribbean islands to be quite similar in what they offer.

I always enjoy going to the Ralph Lauren outlet in San Juan and topping up on my 'Polo' wear.

We especially enjoy personal choice dining and we've met some very interesting and humourous folk in the past.

We were on the Star in October 2003 (Baja California) and thoroughly enjoyed this size of ship. However, we found the lift terminating at different levels, depending on which lift it was, a little confusing ....especially if the sun-downers were beginning to kick - in.

Our prefered cabin is the aft mini-suite on Sun Dawn etc. Alas, they are not as big on the Grand class and they are (where we are situated) exposed to the gaze of those above. It's a bit embarrasing when people make comments about you not ironing your vest and you tell them you're not wearing a vest.

2 weeks cast afloat in an open-neck shirt ....how will I survive?

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers!

John

John,

Welcome 'home'... you've returned from the wilderness. :D Gosh I've missed you cos I was getting worried in case something had happened to you. :eek: Delighted therefore to read you are okay.

Have a great holiday.

Laura

PS: Did you opt for a US or UK TA?

PPS: Didn't get away in 2004 - since we ended up buying a house in... where other... Liverpool (for our eldest while at Uni).

John, I just booked on Golden for October so hope there will be a review when you return.

I am trying to talk my friends from Devon to hop on with us, since they will be here in the US around that time anyway.

Enjoy your trip,

Cheers!

Mary Beth

John,

I'm assuming we have one of those exposed balconies, too (Dolphin deck). Don't worry about your "vest." Even if people notice, you'll probably never see your fellow cruisers again. Be comfortable and enjoy those 2 weeks!

Jan

Hi folks and thanks for the replies

Laura............

Your greetings are especially appreciated and it's so nice to hear from you again. The old 'Truebrit Dossier' on disparity of prices seems a long time ago

We booked via a Princess newspaper cutting as it was a good package. The discount was very good via Princess and our British T.A. (Royalties Gold via RB of Scotland) gave us another 10% and tickets for the exec. lounge on the way out. Having either had to go to Gatwick or Heathrow in the past and suffered an inferior charter airline or going American (good seat space) to Chicago and changing planes, I was impressed that Princess are using Virgin out of Manchester non-stop to San Juan. I was able to book Premium seats at a reasonable rate, again less 10%

For February 2004 on the Sun, I booked via an American T.A., and whilst the service was 100%, I got the impression that some Cruise Companies do not like Brits, Ozzies, etc. booking with an American T.A.

We have been blessed with our first grandchild....George John (25.2.04.) and he is the joy of our life.

Since Feb. 2004, we've been to Mexico (3 times), Andalucia, Majorca, Cornwall and Northumberland.

Later this year, other than the cruise, wer'e currently booked for Venice, Andalucia, Whitby and Cyprus. "Life's a journey as well as a destination."

Mary Beth .... did we meet on a cruise? ... my memory dimishes in proportion to my advancing years . Yes, I would hope to do an eventual review and hope to intensify your expectation with much positive comment.

Jan .... We are on Dolphin Deck D.319......... we've been in a similar mini-suite before on the Star. There's lots of space and the 2 t.v.'s are useful if there's some sport on and Norma wants to watch something else. The open space on the balcony has it's pros and cons depending on who's above you

( usually in a suite ) and whether the boat is orientated toward the sun on your side of the ship ..... I'm reminded of the old "Posh" saying .... Port out ...starboard back.

Gosh, I'm beginning to get that old pre-cruise excitment all over again.

Ta ta for now

John

We have been blessed with our first grandchild....George John (25.2.04.) and he is the joy of our life.

I hope George John gives you great joy and as he shares my birthday, but not the year or even the century alas, he is bound to be witty, intelligent and good-looking!! :D

Michael

You're right.

One of the pleasures is pushing him in his pram to Formby Village.

Ladies, who normally would not let on to me, come up, smile and speak to us both.

He has what is known as great "totty-pulling" power.

A friend has commented that if I was also to have a soulful little puppy on a lead, it would be like shelling peas.

Norma just chuckles as she knows I'm harmless (?)

Greetings to you and all in Oz

John

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have room for a "little" one to join you and Norma? ;)

John & I have just returned from a southern Caribbean Cruise on board the Constellation, but I will come and carry your suitcase any day!;)

Elsea

Archived