Grand Suite - family of 5 - anyone done it?

JamashP

We are a family of 5 (DD13, DD11, DS7). We are booked on the Yoyager for the 9-night sailing from Bayonne, NJ. We have reserved a Grand Suite. The RCCL agent recommended this option since it was cheaper than two balcony cabins, gave us more space (except just one bathroom) both inside and for the balcony. And to top it off, we get concierge service.

Now, how comfortable are three children going to be on a sofa and a roll-away? Anyone else have experience with this configuration?

Thanks,

Scott

We have not done a grand suite, but we've had our 2 kids (at the time, ages 14 & 5) sleep together on a balcony cabin sofa bed -- we spent much of most nights listening them complain about not having enough space -- I don't think, for example, 2 teenage boys would fit in the sofa bed together comfortably...

- PAGA

Grandeur

Mercury

Century (2 times)

Galaxy

Monarch

Explorer

Mariner

Adventure

Navigator

Explorer - May '05

Radiance - Nov '05

We had a Family Oceanview Stateroom on the Serenade a few weeks ago and we had a lot of room for 5 people (two adults, 8YO, 6YO and 4YO). The room had a separate room with a curtain that had bunk beds and a dresser and large closet. There was also a separate room with a curtain and a king sized bed, desk, dresser and closet. Then, there was the pullout sofa in the main area. Of course, there was only one small bathroom, but we seemed to have tons of space. Friends of ours had the same category stateroom, but theirs seemed a bit smaller and it was configured differently. They had the separate room with bunk beds, but their bed was part of the main living area, not in a separate area with a curtain. We didn't have a balcony, but for the amount of space we had in the room, the sacrifice was worth it. I usually book suites at hotels to make sure we have enough room and our room on the Serenade was very close in size to some suites at major hotel chains.

RCI tried to tell me that the best option for me was a Grand Suite, which would have cost $2,000 more for the 5 of us than the FO stateroom cost. I thought about upgrading to the Grand Suite several times and was talked out of it by my friends. I'm glad we chose the room that we did. Most people couldn't believe how roomy it was. I'm not sure if the Voyager has any of the FO staterooms, but I would check it out.

Good Luck!!!!

Our family of 6 were booked on the Explorer which I believe is a sister ship to yours. We opted for the royal family suite, because it had two bedrooms and two bathrooms as well as a sofa bed if was was needed (which we didn't). In the kids bedroom there were four bunks (two of them were pullmans). It worked out great, and the balcony was huge, which was very important for our teenager to have quiet time to read if needed. I don't know what the price difference is compared to your suite you have booked. It may not be as fancy in decor as yours, but the space more than made up for it. Enjoy your cruise.

I was in the Royal Family Suite on Voyager out of NJ last May. The suite was very spacious. HOWEVER it is in the back of the ship. If the Grand Suite is mid ship, I would recommend it!! With ours, you had a long haul to get to anywhere on the ship. Treck up to the elevators or stairs and go even farther or higher/lower. We found it inconvenient because you couldn't just zip around to where you want to be.

Well we really loved being in the aft of the ship, there was hardly any wind, and it was really accessible to the windjammer--we found a hidden set of stairs and only one flight to get there and then we were in the windjammer! The kids would pop up there for breakfast and bring their plates to the suite. Also I think with all the energy kids have it is good for them to walk around a lot, and we eat more food than usual so the exercise is good for you. I have been on midship before and found it quite windy. A matter of personal preference of course!

• 1 year later...
We had a Family Oceanview Stateroom on the Serenade a few weeks ago and we had a lot of room for 5 people (two adults, 8YO, 6YO and 4YO). The room had a separate room with a curtain that had bunk beds and a dresser and large closet. There was also a separate room with a curtain and a king sized bed, desk, dresser and closet. Then, there was the pullout sofa in the main area. Of course, there was only one small bathroom, but we seemed to have tons of space. Friends of ours had the same category stateroom, but theirs seemed a bit smaller and it was configured differently. They had the separate room with bunk beds, but their bed was part of the main living area, not in a separate area with a curtain. We didn't have a balcony, but for the amount of space we had in the room, the sacrifice was worth it. I usually book suites at hotels to make sure we have enough room and our room on the Serenade was very close in size to some suites at major hotel chains.

RCI tried to tell me that the best option for me was a Grand Suite, which would have cost $2,000 more for the 5 of us than the FO stateroom cost. I thought about upgrading to the Grand Suite several times and was talked out of it by my friends. I'm glad we chose the room that we did. Most people couldn't believe how roomy it was. I'm not sure if the Voyager has any of the FO staterooms, but I would check it out.

Good Luck!!!!

Thank you sooo much for your review. We have the same room booked for Oct. 16th 2006 and I've been very nervous about it. Do you happen to have any pictures? We've been trying to figure out the window confirguration. Was there 2 windows?

Thanks ahead of time.

we also stayed in a Family Oceanview stateroom but oon The Voyager.This was the best cabin for our family as we had alot of room and didn't really want a balcony as my son was fairly yound at the time. I would highly recommend this room if you are able to book it..

Have great time on your cruise!!!

Hi there ~ for those of you who have stayed in the RFS, may I ask a few questions? There are 6 of us staying in the RFS o the Adventure of the Seas, me, my husband and our 4 adult kids - ages, 20, 22, 23, 25 - (3 girls & 1 boy) we all get along GREAT ~ we are actually best friends but.....is there enough for 6 adults in the room? What do you feel the benefits of having this room are? Are there lounge chairs on the balcony? how is the sofa bed in case the pulllmans are too small for the taller kids? WOW - That's alot of questions.....but any answers are greatly appreciated......Thanks and happy sailing to all :D :D :D

Archived