Cave Tubing - Coral Breeze Tours

kiss

What can I say - This was a very inertesting and informative excursion! We booked directly through Coral Breeze. We were met at the pier by their representatives who were absolutely polite, courteous and helpful! We were able to pay them for the tour directly on the pier and had a few minutes to use the facilities (very clean, very nice area). We walked about 1.5 blocks to the van that took us to the park (about a 30-45 minute ride). Along the way, our guide Joseph Zaldivar gave us an overview of the city culture, Mayan culture, the local and national governments, schools, shops, restuarants, current events, and a ton of information about the people, projects, and businesses that are current in Belize city and the surrounding areas. Joseph was the ultimate gentleman host. We felt very comfortable and at ease with Joseph immediately. He loves his country and loves to talk about it. He prompted us for questions and listened intently to make sure that he could offer us the best information that he has at hand. If you do decide to take the Cave tubing experience I highly encourage you to seek out Joseph, his partner Willard, or maybe another person that he (they) might recommend.

The folks from Coral Breeze watched out for us every step of the way, including guiding us to the reputable and least expensive vendors for watershoe rentals (if needed) in the park. We never had to dwell or waste time nor were we at all rushed to move along in our preparation for the hike. The last stop for bathroom facilities is at the park and the buildings were relatively clean and very orderly. The tour guides supplied us each with an inner-tube, lifejacket and headlamp as we made our way to the trail head. We had about a 45 minute hike into the forest where Joseph remained with the group and continued to share with us, his vast knowledge of the jungle habitat along the trail. The trail itself is lightly challenging, meaning that most anyone with my "office physique" can navigate along with no problems.

The water in the river is amazingly crystal clear and in the deeper parts reflects the light back down from the jungle canopy and gives the water an aqua-blue hue - very interesting for freshwater! The caves were intriguing! Water would vary in depth from (I think he said) 50 feet to only inches deep. We would putter along in the deep water and move at a pace equal to a brisk walk in others. The formations in the limestone were moderately interesting - this is not to infer boring at all, but to be honest, the whole experience is so overwhelmingly interesting that the cave structures did not stand out above the many wonderful points of interest in the rainforest.

If I had to be critical of any portion of the tour I would say that it seemed that the groups were rushed along at certain points while tubing in the river - there were a few areas where it would have been enjoyable to just drift along peacefully enjoying the experience but some of the guides hooked onto our tubular floatilla of 15 or so pals and paddled us along briskly, stating that we should keep up with the other group up ahead of us. I guess I didn't appreciate that very much as we were there to try to soak up as much of the environment as we could and I don't like being pushed.

- I mean, where would we go if we DID get seperated? Detroit?

We ended the river tubing experience about a 5 minute walk from the vehicles that took us to the park. We pretty much dried off on the walk back to the vans, returned our gear quickly, and had a few minutes to talk and relfect a little before the trip back into town where we were treated to a "to-die-for" chinese lunch! - I know - ...Chinese??? To clarify - there is a large Asian population that are residents and citizens of Belize - but you'll have to go and get the story from Joseph on that subject. He relays this so well! I had the Chicken chow-mein and it was fabulous (And I'm not a big chow-mein fan at all) The Fried Chicken was awesome too! Very spicy, cooked right into the batter - only for the hot food lovers there folks!

Oh- and Belize makes a "Killer" stout (Biliken Beer), for all of you beer fans! Very tasty, a little lighter in taste than, say, guiness - but just as aromatic. At $1.25 usd in the resturant, it's hard to say no to a second bottle!

If I ever (when I?) get back to Belize - I will be sure to contact Joseph in advance and make my arrangements with him - He's the best! If anyone is interested, his e-mail address is josephzaldivar626@hotmail.com

This experience was a definate two-thumbs-up!!!

I wish I had gone with Corral Breeze. I chose Wet and Wild. What a mistake! He didn't take us. We did finally did go with another tour operator. After all my research we went with someone holding a sign at the port! Cruise Taxi Private Land Adventure. http://www.bztaxitours.com It is an organization of 70 people who do tours. Thank goodness we found the Beliken!!!

How much do they charge for thier tour? I am going in hurricane season so I want to book with someone who will not charge a cancellation fee as well. I also prefer to pay when i get here and not upfront. Does any of the operators mentioned do that? Is it better to book with someone at the port? If so what did they charge? Thx!

Bearette,

We booked a cave tubing trip with Coral Breezes last fall. Our itenerary changed due to the hurricanes and we never made it to Belize. Two days after we got back, Coral Breezes sent me an email (without my prompting) informing me that a check with the refund was being sent. It arrived about a week later.

I have booked another cave tubing trip with them for our upcoming Panama Canal cruise.

THanks so much for the review! I cannot wait to go, I know I have been reading a ton about the different tubing groups. We booked ours throught Coral Breeze a few weeks ago and sail in weeks. I can't wait, thanks for the help.

After the tour did you have time to do anything else or did it take up most of the day?

Archived