Spica cast

keemo09

I was wondering if anyone had traveled with a child in a spica cast? I know the situation is not ideal, but unfortunately we did not purchase travel insurance. The doctor has given the "ok" to travel, but i was looking for any advice. thank you

Is this a hip spica cast? If so are you going someplace cool I hope? In our family when nieces and nephews were in casts in the summer there was a problem with keeping the child cool while also keeping the cast dry. I think it would be very doable with a small child who still fits into a stroller. With a two year old who is resistant to the whole idea of the cast perhaps not so much. One child managed to stand while in the cast and greatly surprised the doctor.

Is this a hip spica cast? If so are you going someplace cool I hope? In our family when nieces and nephews were in casts in the summer there was a problem with keeping the child cool while also keeping the cast dry. I think it would be very doable with a small child who still fits into a stroller. With a two year old who is resistant to the whole idea of the cast perhaps not so much. One child managed to stand while in the cast and greatly surprised the doctor.

I can do you one better. My youngest son passed his driving test in a spica cast which went down to his knees!!!! He was due to get it off in a few days and couldn't wait. His father took him. I couldn't believe they even let him try. Travel really depends on the child, the space requirements, and the strength of the parents.

You may have already figured this out, but here is a clothing tip. Buy shorts/underwear large enough to go around the cast. Cut them up the sides and sew in Velcro for closures.

Thanks for the glimmer of hope! He is only 1 year old and has adjusted pretty well to having the cast on (although it has only been 4 days!)

If we do decide to go on our cruise, I will stay on the ship in the air condition the whole trip. I don't think I will even attempt to visit any ports considering how hot it will be.

Thank you for the advice regarding the shorts. I will definately give that a try!

Thanks for the glimmer of hope! He is only 1 year old and has adjusted pretty well to having the cast on (although it has only been 4 days!)

If we do decide to go on our cruise, I will stay on the ship in the air condition the whole trip. I don't think I will even attempt to visit any ports considering how hot it will be.

Thank you for the advice regarding the shorts. I will definately give that a try!

The tour buses are generally air conditioned , so you might think about one of the easy shorter tours to do. You'll also find some nice cafes that are air conditioned as well, where you can sit and relax. Also check out the taxi situation at port. If you can get an air conditioned taxi do a nice little tour on your own. It would be nice if your and your child were able to get off the ship at least for a few hours.

At that age you can't hold them back for long--no matter what. I'm sure you have already figured out to stuff his diaper into the edges of the cast. It won't totally stop the mess, but it helps. Both of our boys had brittle bones so we learned a lot about casts. One of them had a spica when he was about 18 months and was actually walking with it by using one of his push/ride toys to balance!! I think it was a giraffe. If you need someone to just talk to about it you can email me at mclinns04@yahoo.com.

Susan

Archived