Just Back from the Eclipse

katiebeth

I am booked on eclipse in July and am interested in a segway tour, I sent an email to the above and he gave me this link.

The site is in Spanish but it seems that tours go from near where the ship docks.

http://segmovi.com/rutas.php

Quote from the email contact

They have 2 tours starting in the shopping center "A Llaxe". It's in

front of the cruises dock.

We just returned earlier in the week from the 11 night Canary Island Cruise that departed Southampton on June 1st. My husband, two teenage children (ages 14 and 16) and myself were on the cruise. Overall, we had a wonderful time. The Eclipse is really stunning and the design in terms of furnishings, carpet, glass tile, bathrooms, lighting fixtures, art work, etc. were by far the nicest we have experienced on any ship. (very sophisticated) The ship is as nice as any 5 star hotel, in terms of interior design, bedding, amenities, etc.

The service was outstanding and you would never know the ship had only been sailing for a few weeks. The food in the main dining room was very good and the food in the speciality restaurants was exceptional. We dined in Qsine, Tuscany, and Murano and all were fabulous. Qsine was quite fun and different and our children really loved it. We ate there twice and the only problem was we ate way too much both times.

Our fellow passengers were 95% British. (very delightful, I might add) We are from the United States and all of the other European cruises we have done (all on Celebrity) had a more diverse mix of people from a variety of countries. We were told that Celebrity marketed the Eclipse heavily in the UK as many can drive to the port. (less hassle than flying). Also, the Canary Islands are a very popular destination for residents of the UK. It was a much older crowd than the other cruises we have taken, but I think it was because it set sail on June 1st and many children are still in school.

Because a large percentage of passengers from the UK had already been to the Canary Islands, I think that the ship itself was the destination, as the pool area and ship was still very full, even on port days. It appeared that many stayed onboard at the various ports. We did notice, that particularly on sea days, the Ocean View Cafe was very crowded and we had a hard time finding seats. The food in the Ocean View Cafe was very good and well presented. Also, this is the first cruise we have been on where we have had a hard time finding seats in the theater for the shows. Many of the shows were standing room only and the seats were all full 15 to 20 minutes prior to showtime. The shows were excellent and very enjoyable.

The Elite perks were great and we really enjoyed the 180 minutes of internet access and 60 items of laundry (washed and folded) between the two of us. The Elite lounge was nice as well, with free cocktails from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. most every night in the Sky Lounge.

We did hear some of the fellow passengers remark that the verandah staterooms seemed smaller (maybe due to the larger bathrooms) than on the Millennium class ships. We also heard that storage was more limited than on the Millennium class ships, as well.

The itinerary was very nice and different than we have done in the past. It was not our favorite, but still very enjoyable. (it is hard to beat the Med.). The shore excursions seemed more limited and not as good overall as other itineraries such as the Med., British Isles, and Baltics. We took a ship sponsored excursion in every port and thought they were good but not great.

We would sail the Eclipse again without a doubt, but do think we may prefer the smaller ships of Azamara which we sailed in 2008. However, the pricing on the Eclipse was had to beat and overall a GREAT value for the money.

Finally, my husband and I really enjoyed the Martini bar and always had one before dinner. The bartenders are fantastic and very entertaining and the bar itself is very "cool", (literally) as it has ice on the bar itself.

Overall, it was a terrific and very enjoyable cruise.

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

Do you remember the name of the elite lounge hostess - was it Daniella and the name of the bartender at the martini bar - was it Togi?

We are sailing on 7/10 on Eclipse and looking ofrward to it.

BJ

Archived