Hopewell Rocks High Tide Question

We are going to be in St. John September 8, 2010. It will be high tide when we drive to Hopewell Rocks. We actually will probably get there about an hour before peak high tide. Is it still worth driving out to see it. I know we won't be able to walk on the ocean floor but heard it was beautiful. We are coming from a cruise ship so can only go a certain period of time. Last year

we went St. Martins at low tide and that was neat. Just wandered if it was worth the drive for High Tide. Can't stay long enough to see the difference.:confused: Thanks for the info.:)

We are going to be in St. John September 8, 2010. It will be high tide when we drive to Hopewell Rocks. We actually will probably get there about an hour before peak high tide. Is it still worth driving out to see it. I know we won't be able to walk on the ocean floor but heard it was beautiful. We are coming from a cruise ship so can only go a certain period of time. Last year

we went St. Martins at low tide and that was neat. Just wandered if it was worth the drive for High Tide. Can't stay long enough to see the difference.:confused: Thanks for the info.:)

The attraction at Hopewell Cape is seeing it at low tide to walk on the sea floor. IMO it's not worth the long drive (over 4 hrs. return) to see it at high tide. You may want to consider driving to St. Andrew's by the Sea - a historic summer resort town.

The attraction at Hopewell Cape is seeing it at low tide to walk on the sea floor. IMO it's not worth the long drive (over 4 hrs. return) to see it at high tide. You may want to consider driving to St. Andrew's by the Sea - a historic summer resort town.

I live close to the Hopewell Rocks and while it is beautiful I echo Acey's comment , it is not worth the drive to see only at high tide.

Saint Andrew's is a beautiful town ! So picturesque.

I always recommend Saint Martins , we visited Saint Martins just this past weekend and went to the 'Fundy Trail Parkway'. They had just opened a new section and it is spectacular. I would much rather spend the day there. If you want to see the rugged Bay of Fundy coast there is no better way.

Thank you for this information.

So if the tides are high Saint Martins is still a worth while trip?

How far of a drive is the "Fundy Trail Parkway" ? And how long should we allow once there? Is it an easy drive?

Thanks again.

One of the draws to Saint Martin’s is the Sea Caves there. At high tides ( and a couple of hours on either side of it ) would prevent you from exploring them. If you were only going as far as Saint Martins you might be disappointed you didn’t get to poke around inside of the caves.

However I would say the tides are not a factor when it comes to enjoying the Parkway.

The ‘Parkway’ itself is 8 miles long ( once you get there ) , the Parkway itself begins about 5 miles past Saint Martins. The parkway itself is an easy drive , the speed limit is 25 miles per hour and it never felt unsafe. We were pulling over often into the many pull offs to appreciate the vistas.

I don’t want to misrepresent it. I just think it is a beautiful example of the Bay of Fundy Coast line. Read more here http://www.fundytrailparkway.com/en/ and decide if it is what you want to do with your time in Port.

Regarding amount of time, obviously it would not take long to drive the 8 miles in and back out. There are many scenic look offs most with picnic tables. If you are up for a few short hikes there are several that offer beautiful vistas and beaches. This week our family did the short walk into Melvin Beach ( rock beach as most of the Bay of Fundy is ). It was short , wide , well groomed trail with stairs down to the beach. Not difficult but steep. We also did a small piece of ‘Fownes Head’ which had a VIEW of a single ‘flowerpot’ rock formation named ‘Pot Rock’. ( This is what the Hopewell Rocks are like but this is a single formation not like the many there are at the Hopewell Rocks ).

There is an Interpretation Centre that you should stop at, it will have information about the area’s past and about the logging industry and fishery. They have a short little movie about the history of the area. I guess I am saying you should check out the website and see what interests you. You could spend as little as an hour at the Parkway and see the vista’s offered from the road and the pull offs. From there you could add time for the interpretation center and any walks you might try. We have been there several times before and spent 4 hours there this trip.

I know I sound like an advertisement for them. Many people choose to visit Saint Andrews. Saint Andrews instead would offer a larger fishing village / resort town type feel. More shops, quaint, colourful. Saint Martins and the Parkway might offer more ‘landscape’, with the coastal views and covered bridges.

We did St. Martins last year and it was wonderful. I would recommend it to anyone especially if it is there first time to St. John. We did not go on past though and see the coast, wish we could have. It sounds like St. Andrews might be the option for us this time. We were able to walk into the caves and that was neat. Loved the bridges too. Unfortunately we will be there right at high tide. :)

I have a question. Would I have time to rent a car and drive to St Andrews by the Sea and then drive to St. Martins and take the coastal scenic drive. I don't have to stop at St. Martins but would love to see that coastal Scenery We are in port about 8 hours but would need to be back to the ship 1/2 hr early and then the small time renting the car and dropping it off. What does everyone think, is it possible?

Archived