Problem with ear piercing !!

Occy

The piercing in one of my ears is now very close to the edge of my lobe. My ears were done nearly 50 years ago so I guess it's simply due to "wear and tear" and has happened slowly over the years. I can remember when they were first done, this one was alot lower than the other one. I love my earrings and let me quickly add I don't wear heavy type ones that would drag the hole down but I'm afraid the day will come when the hole will be ripped clean thru.

Has this happened to anyone else, if so what's the solution, sld I just get it repierced higher up the lobe. Wld it look silly if you cld see the other one below it?? Any advice wld be greatly appreciated.

So many folks have multiple ear holes, I don't think it would look "odd" to repierce higher up on your lobe. Unless that lower hole is totally stretched out, it should become less and less evident as time goes on....your earring should "hide" it a bit, especially if you wear dangly ones!

Aging sucks.

Thx for your reply cb. Just found out that you can get them repaired by a plastic surgeon and it's only a 15 min. procedure. Mmmmmm I'll have to look into it a bit more and give some thought to it. Maybe I sld go for a full body lift while I'm at it !!!!

Yup, your right .... old age does "suck" !!!!

Very recently I met a woman close to my age whose ears resembled Pacman. Her holes had worked clear down to the edge, and the slit had widened enough that she looked as though someone had taken a very small slice out of each ear lobe.

She told me that plastic surgery to fix it was more expensive than she could afford. She was shopping for clip on and screw back earrings large enough to cover the "Pacmans."

I've never had holes in my ears and I have never been sorry for that. So far, I've only allowed openings in my body to save my life or to reduce pain. If someone were to give me diamond earrings, I would have them made into a pendant rather than have holes in my ears for them. Screw back diamond earrings would not be a great idea, as they can loosen and fall off.

I've never had holes in my ears and I have never been sorry for that. So far, I've only allowed openings in my body to save my life or to reduce pain. If someone were to give me diamond earrings, I would have them made into a pendant rather than have holes in my ears for them. quote]

That's good for you Gablin, but not very helpful for the OP!

"That's good for you Gablin, but not very helpful for the OP!"

I guess it was a moment of "keyboard reflection." I am sympathetic to the original poster, and I am also reassured that I have made the right decision for myself. So much of my body has needed medical interference in order to function that I'm grateful for any parts that still work as originally intended!

Surgery may be a way to fix the ear problem, if you can find someone to do it. Most insurance won't cover it, unfortunately. It's like tattoo removal in the eyes of the insurance companies.

You can try these little sticker-like patches that u stick behind your ear and they help to support the weight of the earrings so that they don't look like they are dragging down your earlobe.

http://www.lobewonder.com/

You can order them from amazon too.

THat's just amazing, never heard of those - what will they come up with next?:confused:

You can try these little sticker-like patches that u stick behind your ear and they help to support the weight of the earrings so that they don't look like they are dragging down your earlobe.

WOW thx. so much. Will check them out. Somehow I think they will be alot cheaper than having the lobe repaired !!!! Thx. again.

Just to let you know I ordered them from ebay at a good price. Will take a couple of weeks, no doubt, to arrive from Ft. Lauderdale but fingers crossed that they work.

Once again .... many thx. for the heads up.

LOL, from my ballroom competition dancing I gather all this pretty useless information!

But in competition I always wear a clip on earrings because could be too dangerous to wear a piereced if it gets caught on something... So my tip...

Ther are many wonderful clip ons. To keep them on just dab a small amount of fake eyelash glue to the back of the earring and they will stay on forever. You will end up liking the clip ons just as much as a post and trust me they will not move around on the ear lobe at all no matter the size, or as in my case, the age of the ear lobe!!

Certainly much cheaper than plastic surgery.

To the OP, I appreciate that you may already have post earrings you do not want to part with, but you can easly have the post type earrings made into a clip pretty cheap. I have done this.

Just to let you know I ordered them from ebay at a good price. Will take a couple of weeks, no doubt, to arrive from Ft. Lauderdale but fingers crossed that they work.

Once again .... many thx. for the heads up.

I'm sure it will help a lot. I used it once for really heavy chandelier earrings, and they didn't feel heavy at all, and I wasn't scared that I was stretching out my earring hole.

:) Make sure to come back and tell us if they work for u!!

OP, believe it or not we had a girl in our school who had ears like yours - but she was only 15... this was back in the 80s when big earrings were very fashionable, but she wore them constantly.

I'd suggest wearing clip ons or no earrings for a while and seeing if your skin recovers, because although it has happened over time it has been because you've been wearing heavy earrings;).

If you think people will notice the 'slits' in your ears I would just grow your hair a bit to cover them.;)

LOL, from my ballroom competition dancing I gather all this pretty useless information!

But in competition I always wear a clip on earrings because could be too dangerous to wear a piereced if it gets caught on something... So my tip...

Ther are many wonderful clip ons. To keep them on just dab a small amount of fake eyelash glue to the back of the earring and they will stay on forever. You will end up liking the clip ons just as much as a post and trust me they will not move around on the ear lobe at all no matter the size, or as in my case, the age of the ear lobe!!

Certainly much cheaper than plastic surgery.

To the OP, I appreciate that you may already have post earrings you do not want to part with, but you can easly have the post type earrings made into a clip pretty cheap. I have done this.

Some good tips there ... many thx. They aren't big gaping holes, just one of the holes has sliced down dangerously close to the edge and I know it's just a matter of time before earrings are virtually going to be hanging by "a thread" on that one. Anyways, I'll try the wonder lobe that I ordered and if that doesn't work, I'll see if I can find someone to convert the good ones into clip ons. Good tip about the eyelash glue too ..... many thx.

I had that procedure done almost 20 years ago - one hole was lower (from the original piercing) and I had stopped wearing earrings for a long time for fear of tearing the lobe. It was about a 15 minute procedure (outpatient surgery center at the hospital) and I went back a couple of weeks later to have the ear repierced. Worked like a charm, I'm very happy I had it done!

Thx for your reply cb. Just found out that you can get them repaired by a plastic surgeon and it's only a 15 min. procedure. Mmmmmm I'll have to look into it a bit more and give some thought to it. Maybe I sld go for a full body lift while I'm at it !!!!

Yup, your right .... old age does "suck" !!!!

Walmart carries those plastic thingies. I use them. I bought a variety box that also had extra butterfly backs for like $3 total.

Archived