Need help - bringing ready-made Similac formula

bananasforcruises

Hi everyone. I am booked for a cruise on 7/24 on the NCL Jewel. It will be 2 adults and 2 kids. One of the kids will be 10 months old by the time we travel. Since birth he can't drink milk based formula. He has to have Similac Aulimentum which is a ready made liquid. He drinks approximately 1 bottle per day. We tried the powder version of this formula and he doesn't like it. He won't drink it.

We will probably bring 6 bottles with us because we will also be bringing jars of baby food and other snacks that he can eat.

I plan on putting the bottles in a carry-on and carry it onboard. Will we have a problem when we board - will they try to open the bottles to make sure that we aren't trying to smuggle liquor in the bottles? Once a bottle is opened - the aluminum seal on the bottle, it has to be refrigerated and used within 48 hours.

Any info will help. Thank you.

Any info will help.

You won't have a problem bring on the formula. You may have a problem with the fridge in your cabin. I don't think they are very cold, they are more like a cooler. I would ask for allot of ice from your cabin steward.

I would contact ship services and let them know you need a cold- refrig vs the typical that are in most rooms-- which like previous post just keep things somewhat cool but will not work for your formula needs. Only once or twice have we been on a cruise have we had a refrig that actually kept things appropriately cold to prevent spoiling, etc

I have read that sometimes alternate refrig is avail for those storing formula, milk, medications, etc-- if this is not an option on your ship-- I would bring a small ice chest and keep the formula in there

We will probably bring 6 bottles with us because we will also be bringing jars of baby food and other snacks that he can eat.

I plan on putting the bottles in a carry-on and carry it onboard. Will we have a problem when we board - will they try to open the bottles to make sure that we aren't trying to smuggle liquor in the bottles? Once a bottle is opened - the aluminum seal on the bottle, it has to be refrigerated and used within 48 hours.

I don't think you will have a problem with the bottles, but would certainly (as you said) keep them in my carry on and not put them on suitcases, so you can tell them exactly what's inside and why they can't open them (in case they want to).

Don't know how long is your cruise but I would bring more than 1 bottle per day, at least 1.5-2 per day, just in case.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived