How strict is Carnival with excursion age requirements?

Maryscooking

I'm looking into the Gibbs Cay Stingray and Snorkel Adventure when we are on Grand Turk (cruising on Destiny, Sept 20-26). Carnival's information online says the minimum age is five; my daughter will be four. We don't mind paying for her to go, even though she might not fully participate in the snorkeling (my husband and I would just take turns snorkeling and hanging out/playing with her).

We looked into booking the excursion privately with Bohio Dive Resort, and it is actually a better deal - longer excursion, includes a little lunch - and they would gladly accomodate our DD AND wouldn't charge for her, but they require a minimum of four people to book.

So if no one else books with Bohio, does anyone know if Carnival would let my DD come on the ship sponsored excursion with us?

I'm pretty sure they're fairly strict. Their liability insurance most likely dictates the rules and regulations, and anyone on the excursion that doesn't meet those requirements could cost them big bucks if (God Forbid) something happens.

I'd start scouting on your roll call for someone else to participate through Bohio.

Carnival would not budge at all for us. I completely understood that it was for liability reasons and thought it wouldn't hurt to try.:D When you try to book online, it will not let you book for anyone that is under the age requirement. The same thing will happen if you go onboard and try to book. The system will not allow that person to be booked. I agree with the previous poster about joining the roll call. We did that and found others who were interested in doing a private excursion and it worked out for everyone. Best of luck.

Thanks for the replies! I figured they'd be strict, but when I clicked on book this excursion on the website, all three of us came up as choices for booking it, which made me wonder. On RCCL's site, ineligible cruisers won't even show up.

I did post on the roll call, actually, before I posted here. No bites yet. The woman from Bohio said that more than likely they'd get another inquiry and would run the excursion. I hope so, because I know all three of us would really enjoy it. I am just not good at having things up in the air!

That's interesting that the Carnival website would let you do that. If that's the case, then it seems like it actually might be a possibility. Once you are issued a ticket, then it would be a mute point. I wouldn't think they would question you again. Often times the tour operators have lower age limits than the cruise line. Maybe you should call Carnival to confirm.

I am surprised that the option came up because Carnival usually locks you out. You might want to check that the booking has the corect age for your daughter, something doesn't seem right. :confused:

So to answer your original question, strict. They won't budge in age. If it says 5, then its 5. But that also means that you are locked out from booking it for that person who is not 5. Call Carnival (or your TA) and make sure the reservation is correct.

If the reservation is correct for her age, then it is a quirk in the booking system on that excursion. And I wouldn't pay for it only to have them cancel you later.

I'm looking into the Gibbs Cay Stingray and Snorkel Adventure when we are on Grand Turk (cruising on Destiny, Sept 20-26). Carnival's information online says the minimum age is five; my daughter will be four. We don't mind paying for her to go, even though she might not fully participate in the snorkeling (my husband and I would just take turns snorkeling and hanging out/playing with her).

We looked into booking the excursion privately with Bohio Dive Resort, and it is actually a better deal - longer excursion, includes a little lunch - and they would gladly accomodate our DD AND wouldn't charge for her, but they require a minimum of four people to book.

So if no one else books with Bohio, does anyone know if Carnival would let my DD come on the ship sponsored excursion with us?

they're HARDCORE about the age restrictions... my daughter turns 6 on our first day in a port, and they won't let her do anything that is 6+ because she's considered 5 for the duration because she'll be 5 when we board.

they're HARDCORE about the age restrictions... my daughter turns 6 on our first day in a port, and they won't let her do anything that is 6+ because she's considered 5 for the duration because she'll be 5 when we board.

We have had experience w/ them strictly following age requirements-- but differed with your post in that once their birthday occurred during the cruise-- they were allowed to participate in camp carnival & excursions based on new age-- but not one day earlier

Archived