Camp Carnival- are 2-5 yr olds and 6-8's ever together?

nessz79

We cruise in 2 days!! This is our first time taking the kids- ages 5 and 7. We are going to ask if our 5 year old can move up (he'll be 6 in August), but we have come to terms that they very well may say no. So I'm wondering if the 2-5 year olds and 6-8 year olds are ever grouped together for activities. My 5 year old son would probably be fine, but my 7 year old son is shy and timid. I thought their first time there might be best together.

If all else fails, they will be completely with us and grandparents. :)

Thanks!

Very rarely. My dd is 5 and nephew is 6 - they are inseparable, ecxept when it came to camp :( Thry both had a really good time though. It seemed the 9-11 spent more time with the 6-8 than the 2-5 group did.

Hardly ever. On the Valor in January I think there was one movie night where they were together, but that was about it.

And good for you for preparing yourselves and your kids that they might not be together. My brother and SIL have 2 boys, 5 and 6, and they were convinced they would be able to move the 5 yo up. So convinced that when they asked and were told no, they lied about the youngest one's birthday on the forms they had to fill out at Camp Carnival. So convinced that after turning in the forms and thinking they were going to get away with it, they promised the younger one that he'd be with his brother and cousin. It was their first cruise, so I just kept my mouth shut.

Imagine their surprise when they showed up the next morning to drop them off and the Camp counselors split them up (remember that little thing called a passport?:rolleyes:). Their son was crushed, and ended up crying for the entire half hour he was in Camp, then refused to go back for the rest of the week (until that one movie night, when all the kids were together).

I hope they let your younger son move up, but it's good that you're ready for the possibility that they won't. Hope for the best; prepare for the worst. Have a great cruise!

Our 5 year old and 7 year old were together during late night babysitting time and that was about it. They could see into each camp areas though, and my 5 yo DS knew his sissie was next door if he needed her. They had a lot of time with us together, so it was nice to have their own space and make new friends too.

Thank you everyone- I figured as much, but wanted to go through all possible scenarios. If I can mentally prepare for them for what it will be like, it makes it a lot easier to get them to try it.

If it's crucial they be together, can you wait until they are 6 and 8, instead of 5 and 7, to take the cruise?

We planned our cruise for within the seven-week window that DS will be 2 and DD still 5 specifically so we knew they'd be together. DD had a great time her last cruise, and DS will happily go anywhere she is, so DH and I are looking forward to some nice date dinners this cruise.

My girls were 4 and 6 when we cruised. On the first day of the cruise while everyone was checking out the ship, we went up to the camp (before it opened) and walked inside to let the girls see the camp. My younger one was very clingy and barely left my side on a day to day basis. The camp counselor picked up on her shyness and made an extra effort to joke and play with her while we checked out the facilities. My daughter willing (although still a bit shy, she but initiated wanting to stay) went the first night camp opened and had a blast. She wanted to go back every day. She met so many friends and the activities were fun. I was shocked. Give it a try :D.

Archived