Any Do Dolphin Discovery/St. T. Ferry to Tortola

LynneL

My son had booked the Dolphin Discovery/Ferry to Tortola for when he & his GF are in St. Thomas. Anyone do this? Does the ferry p/up near the ship since they also offer this tour or must you go to the main part of town to meet it. Also, site shows only one ferry going there & one ferry coming back. When ships are in St. Thomas do they offer more ferries than that?

I don't see where you said what ship you were on, but we arrived in St. Thomas on the Carnival Liberty. We did the excursion to The Baths, but it is the same ferry as the one for the Dolphin Discovery (see my review under on the Baths about the ferry itself). This appeared to be a dedicated ferry for the Carnival excursion. We did see other ferries such as Speedy. On a previous cruise we did do the Dolphin Discovery while we were in Tortola. It was a good experience. One of those things you need to do once, but once is enough.

If you are booking this through the ship then they have their own ferry/transportation that typically picks up right at the cruise ship dock.

If you are considering doing this on your own by regular ferry then the schedule is what is regardless of number of ships in port and you would have to go to the ferry dock to catch it.

--Islander

They are going on the Miracle to St. Thomas. I recently went to Dolphin Encounter while on a cruise which docked in Nassau. When booking on our own we met the ferry at Paradise Island terminal and were brought to a small private island where the Dolphin Encounter was located. However, on the return trip there was an announcement that the ferry would dock at Paradise Island to discharge passengers, but anyone on the ferry who was heading back to the cruiseship to just stay on it and they delivered those on the tours booked thru the ship & those who booked on their own back to the docking area where the cruiseships were located in Nassau. Very convenient. I was hoping I'd hear a similar arrangement here since I see the cruiseline offers the Dolphin Discovery tour. It just doesn't offer the particular Dolphin swim they wanted to do.

The idea of only one ferry back makes me a bit nervous in case it runs late or has a problem. LJ2B2C - I did read your post about the Baths. Do you recall how long it took for the ferry to get to Tortola for the people doing the dolphin encounter? Now I'm really getting nervous of the books on their own when you said 2 hours to get to the Baths!!

Archived