Internet on AMA Amacello

s2c4r5a4p

Could anyone tell me who has gone on the AMA Amacello this year how the internet service is. I read that they have upgraded the internet service on all AMA ships this past winter getting ready for 2010. How is the service in the rooms? Could you use your laptop in your room or do you have to go to one of the lounges to get the internet? I'd like to know your overall experinece and opinion of the upgraded internet service. I was on the Amacello last fall and will be again this fall and just want to know if I need my laptop.

Just back from the Amacello. The internet service runs from good to none, depending on the situation. In port where satellite reception is good and not too many users are on the system the system is fairly responsive. Of course if you are operating in the area of low bridges and the receiver is lowered, reception is basically nil. When cruising and the signal is intermittent and several cabins are on the system, it operates very slowly.

However, I thought it great that the service was provided and at no additional cost. It was certainly good enough to keep up with emails and check a few additional sites.

I can't speak to wi-fi for laptops.

Thanks eldercruiser, It sound like nothing has changed from my trip last fall, although they advertise that they have a new and improved internet system.

If anyone has some thoughts on bringing a laptop please let me know.

Thanks again eldercruiser, I appreciate the information!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks abccruiser2, this will really help me to make up my mind.

Sorry for the delay in responding, we just got back from a mexican rivera cruise (family reunion-I would not have choosen heat and humidity for a vacation). Thanks again for the information!

I'm just back from a cruise on Amalyra from Basel to Amsterdam. The internet in the room was so slow in Switzerland and France that it was virtually useless. However, once we got into Germany, the system worked great. Also, tablermates reported good WiFi reception on the ship. As reported earlier, reception is limited by locks, bridges, time of day, etc. It is definitely a nice feature to have. I checked my bank accounts and credit cards to see where I was getting a better exchange rate - ATMs or charges (Capital One credit card won). Emails saves on postcard as well!

Archived