Wednesday's Review of the Carnival Dream 6/12/10 Western Caribbean

wednesday

Great review and great pics! What kind of camera did you shoot with???

Thanks!

Half of them were shot with my Canon 40D and the other half were shot with my Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 waterproof. The dining room food was shot with the panasonic.

Wednesday and/or crewsweeper: On the Dream deckplan for deck 11, it looks like there is the " secret doors" to a big open area. Did either one of you check it out? I was on the Dream in December but on deck 7. Never thought to go check out deck 10 or 11. The open areas on deck 7 and 6 were great for sailaway or coming in to a port. Even those with balconies came out there as the view was much better.:)

Wondering if we book on that deck whether we'll get to experience the same.

Wednesday and/or crewsweeper: On the Dream deckplan for deck 11, it looks like there is the " secret doors" to a big open area. Did either one of you check it out? I was on the Dream in December but on deck 7. Never thought to go check out deck 10 or 11. The open areas on deck 7 and 6 were great for sailaway or coming in to a port. Even those with balconies came out there as the view was much better.:)

Wondering if we book on that deck whether we'll get to experience the same.

Deck 11 has one, we went out there. I know some of the other floors have them as well. I think we went to the deck 10 one on sailaway.

Deck 11 has one, we went out there. I know some of the other floors have them as well. I think we went to the deck 10 one on sailaway.

Thanks Wednesday. We are booked on the Lido deck for November. However may book the Magic for 2011 before we get back on the Dream so it's good to know in case we want to book a spa cabin on 11.

After reading some other reviews I realized I didn't mention debarkation and I forgot to mention the problem tendering in Belize.

Debarkation was super easy, and we chose to carry our luggage off. We went to the Lido for breakfast and ended up leaving the ship on the last call for passengers carrying their own luggage and the first call for people who did not. We had to wait through several elevators but it didn't take long, after that we breezed right off of the ship! It was much better than when we did the Legend in 2007.

Tendering in Belize was a circus! I think there was a problem with the forward tendering station because it was open but did not appear to be in use. We got to the lounge for a tender ticket early and had to wait nearly an hour only for them to ask who all had early private excursions to which nearly the entire lounge raised their hands:( Then all of those people had to follow a carnival employee the length of the ship (the lounge was fwd and we went to the aft tender station) where it took a while to make it down extremely crowded and hot stairs to get a tender. The good news is that we still made it on time to our excursion! I do think there was a problem on this particular day and doubt that it is always run like that, maybe someone from another sailing can confirm.

Our cabin Spa balcony 11245

The room was nice, clean and well maintained. Our room steward Antonius was great and always greeted us by first name and asked how we were doing.

There are a couple of issues with this particular cabin that I want to address. 1) The proximity to the stairs and elevator meant some noise from people loitering and talking or kids running wild late at night, we had a similar location on RCI’s Navigator of the seas and didn’t have this much trouble with noise. There is not a lot of ambient noise in the cabin and you hear balcony doors slamming and people talking pretty well when you are trying to sleep, we ran into another couple that said the same thing. A suggestion from me for anyone traveling on this ship is to take a white noise machine or load white noise on your laptop. I was thankful I had some white noise on my laptop, after the first restless night I used it and had no more problems. 2) If you are booking a spa cabin to get away from the smoke, this is the last spa cabin on deck 11 so the people next to you can smoke and they did …frequently :( I thought being upwind would prevent me from smelling it but no such luck, it smelled very strongly on my balcony. I wish they could come up with some way for us non-smokers to be able to enjoy our balconies without being subjected to others smoke. This was my second Carnival cruise and on both I felt like I could rarely enjoy the balcony because of smoke.

We just left the Dream. We also had a balcony near the elevators and had problems with teenagers running around at late hours. This was our only complaint about the ship.

My husband and I usually cruise the last week of May and are not use to so many teenagers on the ship. They were everywhere! We rarely saw the teenagers with their parents. So, we wrote on our comment card that there should be a curfew for the teenagers and should be strictly enforced by the staff. Really...this is actually their parents fault but it was very annoying when you could hear teenagers running up and down the halls at 2am and you wanted to get up at 6am to get ready for port stops.

I wonder what their parents said when they found out about all the "virgin" mixed drinks:eek:

We also saw the graffiti left by someone..aargh!

BTW...the Asian chicken was Thai Chicken. I ordered the chilled soups for desert...yum! The Chilled Peach Soup was the BEST!!!!!

We just left the Dream. We also had a balcony near the elevators and had problems with teenagers running around at late hours. This was our only complaint about the ship.

My husband and I usually cruise the last week of May and are not use to so many teenagers on the ship. They were everywhere! We rarely saw the teenagers with their parents. So, we wrote on our comment card that there should be a curfew for the teenagers and should be strictly enforced by the staff. Really...this is actually their parents fault but it was very annoying when you could hear teenagers running up and down the halls at 2am and you wanted to get up at 6am to get ready for port stops.

I wonder what their parents said when they found out about all the "virgin" mixed drinks:eek:

We also saw the graffiti left by someone..aargh!

BTW...the Asian chicken was Thai Chicken. I ordered the chilled soups for desert...yum! The Chilled Peach Soup was the BEST!!!!!

If people are going to have kids they should be willing to look after them properly, I don't understand allowing them to run free with so many strangers.

The chilled soups tastes like melted ice cream and that is NOT a bad thing :D It was funny the first time they brought me one and it was just the empty bowl with one piece of fruit (the waiter saw the look on my face and hid the cup with the soup in it behind his back):p I was thinking WTH is this LOL

Thanks so much for your great collection of photos of the Dream. We're on the Halloween cruise this year and looking forward to it. Our only dilemma is Carnival's newly instituted stronger enforcement of the "no bringing liquor on board" policy. The bar bill is going to kill us! I hope they still allow bringing one special bottle of wine per person on board.

Your photos are fantastic! You should be a professional photographer. We're sailing on the Dream this Saturday to the same ports. Your review & photos really gives me an idea of what to expect. Thanks for sharing!

Victor's monkey business

eIMG_8408.jpg

Victor's monkey business

eIMG_8419.jpg

Meat pies from Victor's monkey business (Yum)

eIMG_8465.jpg

West Bay

eP1000383.jpg

Snorkeling in West Bay (Only had about 10 minutes before my husbands mask broke:()

eP1000373.jpg

can you tell me where this beach is and how far to get to it ?

can you tell me where this beach is and how far to get to it ?

It is West Bay, there is a hotel and restaurant there and the water is amazing! I think it took about 15 minutes to drive back to the ship.

Your photos are fantastic! You should be a professional photographer. We're sailing on the Dream this Saturday to the same ports. Your review & photos really gives me an idea of what to expect. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks so much for your great collection of photos of the Dream. We're on the Halloween cruise this year and looking forward to it. Our only dilemma is Carnival's newly instituted stronger enforcement of the "no bringing liquor on board" policy. The bar bill is going to kill us! I hope they still allow bringing one special bottle of wine per person on board.

Cruising on Halloween sounds like fun:D We took big bottles of water in our carryon bags and they didn't check to make sure they weren't booze but maybe they know what they are looking for...

Archived