Need taxi recommendations for Lahaina to Kahului

cruznbelle

Well.... not sure if I'm being smart or stupid but I rented a car from Avis with pickup at OGG Kahului (POA) with same day return to JHM Lahaina. Reason for this madness is we want to tour during the day but plan to attend Feast at Lele that evening and I'm concerned with the open bar concept being vacation and all... although I really don't think it's an issue - but still no point in even going there.

So I'm looking for advice on hiring a taxi/limo to take us back - yes I know it'll be $85.00 plus tip - it's about the same price for a limo/taxi from ATL airport to home for us... but I'd feel better with arranged transporation rather than trying to flag a taxi - assuming that taxis are even that available when leaving...

So I'm seeking advice from those that have gone before me... what taxi/limo service would be reliable to hire to be there when the show completes to take us back to Kahului pier? And of course - am I being completely over analytical here? Also any recommendations on where to sit and relax pre-show time in Lahaina between the 4:30 drop-off and show (we are not shoppers rather we like local places to mingle & relax?

Thanks in advance...

Well.... not sure if I'm being smart or stupid but I rented a car from Avis with pickup at OGG Kahului (POA) with same day return to JHM Lahaina. Reason for this madness is we want to tour during the day but plan to attend Feast at Lele that evening and I'm concerned with the open bar concept being vacation and all... although I really don't think it's an issue - but still no point in even going there.

So I'm looking for advice on hiring a taxi/limo to take us back - yes I know it'll be $85.00 plus tip - it's about the same price for a limo/taxi from ATL airport to home for us... but I'd feel better with arranged transporation rather than trying to flag a taxi - assuming that taxis are even that available when leaving...

So I'm seeking advice from those that have gone before me... what taxi/limo service would be reliable to hire to be there when the show completes to take us back to Kahului pier? And of course - am I being completely over analytical here? Also any recommendations on where to sit and relax pre-show time in Lahaina between the 4:30 drop-off and show (we are not shoppers rather we like local places to mingle & relax?

Thanks in advance...

If we hadn't done this in the past I may have agreed with you . However having rented a car in order to tour around Lahaina and area and did the Luau in the evening and stuck to one drink it was well worth the sites.

There are many many kodak moments along the coast from cruise ship to Lahaina, the traffic is light, the highway is easy and lots of turn off spots to spot to take pics. The drive home in the evening is just as easy and maybe a half hour drive.

I don't think you're stupid for renting that way. It's actually not a bad idea if you don't plan on having a car the second day.

After you drop the car, you really won't have a huge amount of time before you head to Feast at Lele. I suggest that you wander through Lahaina town. You don't have to shop, but can simply walk along Front St. Check out the banyon tree courtyard, courthouse/visitor's center, and harbor area. A Lahaina walking tour guide shows some of the often overlooked historical sites. There are plenty of places to mingle and relax; just walk along until you find a place that you like. Be sure to stop at Take Home Maui on Dickenson (1/2 block off Front St.) for pineapple samples.

I can't help you with taxi service from Lahaina to Kahului. It's more like 45 minutes rather than 30, but not a bad drive/ride at all.

beachchick

Well gosh... guess I'll have to wing it on the taxi. I haven't bought my Revealed books yet - they may have something listed in there. I've thought long and hard about it just being 45 minutes... but I'm out because I can't see well enough at night and DH always gets that job.:o Am I correct in the assumption we'd have to take a taxi back to the ship since we will be returning by 9:30-9:45? Not sure it's worth the hassle. I'm still mulling it over...

Thanks Beachchick and LJH1.

Have you considered dropping of your car rental in Kahului after Feast at Lele? We are renting a car from Kahului and attending Old Lahaina Luau the first evening. It ends around 8 pm and we will drive back to Kahului and return the car since we don't need it the second day either. Thrifty closes at 11 pm, I think, and the shuttle to the pier runs until 9 pm. If you miss the shuttle, you can take a taxi back to the pier. I think that solution will be less stressful and cheaper.

Hi CrusingGoddess - I'll have to check on timing - ours runs from 6pm to 9pm so the quickest we'll get back is sometime between 9:30-9:45pm - probably the later. I'm still mulling - but at least I have some taxi names to work with from hawaiicarrentals.com.

I see that you are going to Alaska in a few days. You'll love it if you haven't been - it's our favorite cruise - and we've done the Island Princess - if you want to add some spice to the cruise - bid on a horse to own at the beginning of the cruise - it's fun - you have to decorate it and then take it around to various events on ship (we just took ours to dinner). Just buy your horse EARLY - about $200 - they sell 6-8 I believe and each one goes for more as the bidding intensifies so you don't want to wait... half the fun was searching the ports for dollar stores to help docorate it..

Regardless - enjoy!

Hi CrusingGoddess - I'll have to check on timing - ours runs from 6pm to 9pm so the quickest we'll get back is sometime between 9:30-9:45pm - probably the later. I'm still mulling - but at least I have some taxi names to work with from hawaiicarrentals.com.

I see that you are going to Alaska in a few days. You'll love it if you haven't been - it's our favorite cruise - and we've done the Island Princess - if you want to add some spice to the cruise - bid on a horse to own at the beginning of the cruise - it's fun - you have to decorate it and then take it around to various events on ship (we just took ours to dinner). Just buy your horse EARLY - about $200 - they sell 6-8 I believe and each one goes for more as the bidding intensifies so you don't want to wait... half the fun was searching the ports for dollar stores to help docorate it..

Regardless - enjoy!

I checked my notes and Thrifty closes at 11:30 pm so you will definitely have time to return your car if you leave right after the show ends. You won't make it to the shuttle but a taxi from Thrifty to the pier is much cheaper than from Lahaina!

Thanks for your tip about Island Princess! I'll definitely look into the horse thing! Never heard of it and it does sound fun! We leave on Thursday for Anchorage! So excited!

Archived