Having trouble with Itinerary... seeking advice

cruznbelle

Okay for whatever reason, I’m finding it a bit more difficult planning this cruise… I would love opinions on what I have planned… still struggling between the drive/tour aspect… we really don’t want to do big tour buses unless necessary… (it’s that anti-herding mentality – no offense to anyone – I’ve been on some lovely big bus excursions – but best have always been private / small groups) . We (husband & I) arrive Wed for a POA cruise 9/25. What I have to remember is this is vacation not an event otherwise I’ll have a mutinous DH!! Hubby has been to Hawaii a few of times early in life (pre-me) – For me this is has always been a must-visit-someday so I’m very excited and probably over-thinking much – we are mid 50’s…

Wednesday – arrive 3pm – pickup from 23Hawaii airport to Outrigger Waikiki. Relax / get lay of land / dinner at Dukes at the bar (won’t want anything fancy – may even opt for room service)

Thursday – relax – wander – walk around (thinking may wake up early – if so..perhaps Pearl Harbor?) Dinner at Dukes? Cocktails at House without a key?

Friday – Circle Island tour – not sure if rental car from hotel or something like Jay’s Limo… DH wants to show me Turtle Bay Resort – is there traffic issues for a Friday? – Dinner?

Saturday – Taxi to ship – relax - watch ocean go by.

Sunday – Car rental in Maui to Lahania and ? – Feast at Lele – return ship 9:30/10pm

Monday – Sky Trek tour to Hana at noon – Dinner at specialty rest. Watch ocean go by.

Tuesday – Hilo car rental or thinking Ricky’s to VNP – strongly debated helicopter trip but just did Hana day before and lava is supposedly light? – seen volcano at White Island,NZ up close and personal so volcanos as such are neat but you just can't top NZ for letting you walk right up to edge and stare over - just haven't seen flowing lava... Evening – room service in suite – watch ocean go by.

Wednesday – Kona car rental – go up the coast? – stop at Mauna Kea for lunch? Return car at 4pm. Specialty rest? Watch ocean go by.

Thursday – Kauai – car rental (no nav available) – no idea what we are doing?? Would love to have lunch and/or dinner someplace special… have car until 8pm. Watch ocean go by (notice I’m on a theme of not forgetting this is vacation)

Friday – Kauai – Blue Hawaiian Helicopters or Island Helicopters w/ landing – still debating 9/10am. Sadly pack, have room service dinner or not. Watch ocean go by for last time.

Saturday – Oahu – tour Pearl Harbor waiting for room if not done on Thursday – stay at HHV – pretend vacation is longer… dinner at ?

Sunday – fly home at 4pm (late checkout?) arrive Monday 6:35am

Monday – talk about trip to anyone that’ll listen… :rolleyes:

So… things that are missing - no PCC – really debated here – we’ve spent 2 weeks in New Zealand – not sure if we want to see the villages w/ limited time. Also no water/ beach activities – I’m okay with that – I’ll watch from a beach bar/restaurant hopefully in the different places we visit. I was an avid diver in my early years. Been there/ done that…

So am I close to a trip? I want to leave some time for discovery but would love some lunch / appetizer / dinner ideas during our travels... So odd to be planning on driving - normally we visit but never navigate..

Thanks in advance for anyone w/ suggestions..

It looks okay if you do not want to pack too much in. My DH and I like to pack it all in, because many destinations are likely our only time there. I fully understand those who have a different idea of vacation than I have.

As for the PCC, the villages are nice, but not a "must do" in my mind. However, the evening show is quite amazing. If of interest, you could do the North Shore including Turtle Resort one day and then go to the evening show on that day. However, this is probably best done with a rental car.

As far as watching the ocean go by, you do realize that it gets dark early in HI, so you will be watching a dark ocean. ;)

It looks okay if you do not want to pack too much in. My DH and I like to pack it all in, because many destinations are likely our only time there. I fully understand those who have a different idea of vacation than I have.

As for the PCC, the villages are nice, but not a "must do" in my mind. However, the evening show is quite amazing. If of interest, you could do the North Shore including Turtle Resort one day and then go to the evening show on that day. However, this is probably best done with a rental car.

As far as watching the ocean go by, you do realize that it gets dark early in HI, so you will be watching a dark ocean. ;)

How early does it get dark in Hawaii in January?

How early does it get dark in Hawaii in January?

If you look at this chart, you will see that sunset is about 7:10 in January.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=103&month=1&year=2011&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

Since Hawaii is so close to the equator, there is not such a big variation in daylight as you would find in other places. When we went to Alaska in June, it never really go dark. So, going to Hawaii was a big difference.

It is dark by about 6pm during the winter in Hawaii. I usually have to turn the lights on at about 5:45pm. In the summer, it is dark about an hour later....about 7pm.

Archived