MV Discovery - interior photos 2010

SwissMyst

SwissMyst,

I vowed after our last - and only - Caribbean cruise, that we´d never do a repeat. It just didn´t seem to be our kind of thing! However, when I saw this itinerary, it really had me intrigued, and we decided to take the plunge once more. For us, the only reason to choose a cruise is the itinerary. Of course we enjoy life on board too - but the ports of call are what determine our choice.

I can tell you you have wonderful family roots. We love to visit Edinburgh and do so regularly at Festival time. We also love to explore the Western Highlands and Islands. If you need any recommendations for a trip there, let me know and I´ll be happy to pass on info on our favourite haunts.

• 3 weeks later...
many thanks for your comprehensive info about the Discovery. any chance of communicating directly for more info about cabin locations, etc?

terry pilot

The ship is small so cabin locations don't mean as much as on other ships unless you want to go all the way up to the premium cabins on Deck 8 and while there are the larger suites up there, there are also some "large" cabins that have been nicely refurbished and are the bargains for that location.

The rest of the cabins are very small (135 sq ft) and pretty similar trading port holes for windows as you move to the higher decks. The best less expensive cabins with portholes are on the bottom deck (Coral) next to the dispensary, but are now a bit more expensive than the lowest category.

These larger Coral Deck cabins well worth it, if you have a longer cruise. Look at the deck plan for the Coral deck to see which ones are just a little bit larger and see if you can get one of those because they are better than those more expensive one floor up.

However if you are sailing in Indian Ocean pirate waters, they will close the porthole covers in these lower deck cabins giving you essentially an inside cabin for a number of days. until you are safely out of harms way there.

• 6 months later...

Is there a Roll Call thread for Voyages of Discovery? I can find roll calls for every other line but not Discovery.

We are going on MV Discovery in May 2012.

All advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Is there a Roll Call thread for Voyages of Discovery? I can find roll calls for every other line but not Discovery.

We are going on MV Discovery in May 2012.

All advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi

All the rolls calls for Discovery are in the All Other Cruise Lines Roll Calls

clicky here :D for some reason people don't much post in there, but give it a go, you may have to start your own thread.

I hope you have a great trip, Discovery is a great little friendly ship, and the crew are fantastic :p

Hi Swissmyst. I spent 2 years in St. Gallen during high school. Fantastic times! I go back every 5 years for the reunions.

Can you please post the link to your photos again? I thought I had bookmarked it, but it must have slipped through the cracks!

Thank you.

Hi

All the rolls calls for Discovery are in the All Other Cruise Lines Roll Calls

clicky here :D for some reason people don't much post in there, but give it a go, you may have to start your own thread.

I hope you have a great trip, Discovery is a great little friendly ship, and the crew are fantastic :p

Hi Pheebs. Thank you kindly for that. We are looking forward to the difference in experience. We are definitely not the "Princess" type of cruisers! (In spite of being Elite with them - they have some good itineraries.)

Cheers.

Hi Swissmyst. I spent 2 years in St. Gallen during high school. Fantastic times! I go back every 5 years for the reunions.

Can you please post the link to your photos again? I thought I had bookmarked it, but it must have slipped through the cracks!

Thank you.

Easy, the link to the photos is in the beginning of this thread. :p

Plus I wrote a few more threads about life on board, the food and a sample of the lectures we had on our Indian Ocean cruise. I even provided the measurement of drawers and how many coat-hangers can fit into the closet. Just search my screen name and MV Discovery and they will probably turn up.

Here is the one with the ship's layout: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1169393&highlight=mv+discovery

St Gallen is a lovely town - some very good dining memories there. Lucky you to have such a long experience with it.

Easy, the link to the photos is in the beginning of this thread. :p

Plus I wrote a few more threads about life on board, the food and a sample of the lectures we had on our Indian Ocean cruise. I even provided the measurement of drawers and how many coat-hangers can fit into the closet. Just search my screen name and MV Discovery and they will probably turn up.

Here is the one with the ship's layout: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1169393&highlight=mv+discovery

St Gallen is a lovely town - some very good dining memories there. Lucky you to have such a long experience with it.

Got it. Thank you kindly. Your posts have been helpful and informative in the extreme. "Good on ya" for taking the trouble to post so much info.

Re. your location: California - Italy - Switzerland. I also spent 2 years in Naples, Italy 1958-60 (US Army Brat). Interesting place.

• 1 month later...

Ohh getting so excited a week till I'm back on Discovery :p Really wasn't expecting this trip at all.

Re-reading through everything all your threads SwissMyst, so helpful, and reminding what I need/don't need to be packing...as I am trying to get it all together now, so much to do with it all being almost last minute!

Ohh getting so excited a week till I'm back on Discovery :p Really wasn't expecting this trip at all.

Re-reading through everything all your threads SwissMyst, so helpful, and reminding what I need/don't need to be packing...as I am trying to get it all together now, so much to do with it all being almost last minute!

Glad those posts helped. There was such a dearth of practical information about the ship before we took her last year that I swore I would fill in all the details that passengers need when taking this type of ship and the far ranging itineraries she offers.

Please pass on your tips about what you think you need and don't need to take this time -- and more about where you are going and what your last Discovery trip was like.

Overall, I would have taken more variety in things to wear at night because passengers tended to dress up more for dinner and I would have taken a lot fewer daytime casual items because that is where one saw a lot of retreads and port logo tee-shirts which could be picked up along the way.

I still wear my special Grand Voyage Discovery tee-shirt specially made by some enterprising folks at our early Manilla, Philippines stop with all the countries we would be visiting listed on the back and the flags of all the countries on the front - love that tee-shirt and it will be on the top of my suitcase for any future Discovery voyages which I hope come sooner than later.

Glad those posts helped. There was such a dearth of practical information about the ship before we took her last year that I swore I would fill in all the details that passengers need when taking this type of ship and the far ranging itineraries she offers.

Please pass on your tips about what you think you need and don't need to take this time -- and more about where you are going and what your last Discovery trip was like.

Overall, I would have taken more variety in things to wear at night because passengers tended to dress up more for dinner and I would have taken a lot fewer daytime casual items because that is where one saw a lot of retreads and port logo tee-shirts which could be picked up along the way.

My last trip on Discovery was Norway, Faroes, Iceland, Greenland and Orkneys for 23 days, which in itself was absolutely amazing, even if we ended missing a couple of ports due to bad weather (heavy fog in Ilulissat, meaning we missed our cruise to the ice fjord,) but this was made up as we left the fog was finally clearing to reveal the beautiful icebergs, also the Orkney's they couldn't use the tenders as it was too rough, missed trips were automatically refunded and there may have been a free glass or two of wine at dinner ;) Definitely try and book any ship excursions beforehand the "couple of extra £/$/€'s" charged on board certainly mount up on already pricey trips.

Packing - Being a no-fly for us, there was no restrictions on baggage or weight etc, so I ended up taking lots of clothes (some unworn :rolleyes:) but as the weather could be rather cold! I took lots of layers, this time it is to the Baltic for 18 days, and although it certainly shouldn't be cold, I think I will stick to the layers, ends up so versatile (well, I found anyway) thin layers, consisting of plain tee's and vests of various colours, that could be worn together, separately, or whatever, just gave a different look, and useful any time of the day or night. Haven't joined the ports and places t-shirts yet, haven't travelled enough yet (I'm working on changing that!!) but you certainly see a different a lot of countries covered on board! :D

Another must for me in packing was a couple of pairs of black trousers, that could be dressed up or down, depending on occasion...I did wear dresses for the formal nights, but I think I could have got away without (I'm soooo not a dress girl! :p)

I think you probably covered most the practical ship things, though I think they have made some little changes, so hopefully, if I find the time, I'll go round and take some pictures of the ship, something I meant to do last around and just didn't have the time!

The cabins, last time we were in an outside cabin on Bali deck and that was adequate, after all you really only need it for resting your head and aching feet after a day exploring!

Just as long as you don't have a too bigger (deep) suitcase, storage under the bed didn't work, luckily mine fitted inside bottom of the wardrobe standing up, and also in wardrobe take a few extra hangers, as they never supply enough between a couple in a cabin!

This time around we have an outside cabin on Coral deck, which I reckon looking on the plan is roughly the same size as before, plus we're nearer the food!

Just looking forward to being back on board, I'll have to see what I come back with this time - last time I won 18 Discovery pens, a baseball cap and a cocktail! and made some new friends on board, who we have recently met up with again.

I still wear my special Grand Voyage Discovery tee-shirt specially made by some enterprising folks at our early Manilla, Philippines stop with all the countries we would be visiting listed on the back and the flags of all the countries on the front - love that tee-shirt and it will be on the top of my suitcase for any future Discovery voyages which I hope come sooner than later.
Oh that sounds wonderful, what a fantastic reminder of your voyage, I have a thing for flags, I'd love to see a picture. :) Hope you make it back on Discovery soon.

• 1 month later...

Testing for access to photos: <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="https://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/bin/slideshow.swf" width="288" height="192" flashvars="host=picasaweb.google.com&hl=en_US&feat=flashalbum&RGB=0x000000&feed=https%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Fdata%2Ffeed%2Fapi%2Fuser%2Fcanatus%2Falbumid%2F5486959509112159857%3Falt%3Drss%26kind%3Dphoto%26authkey%3DGv1sRgCKKc4suFyu7YZg%26hl%3Den_US" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>

Hmmm, not sure why the photos work for some but not others. I will see what I can do after I get back from our next cruise - Barcelona to Barcelona via Malta, Greece, italy, Sardinia and Mallorca - leaving tomorrow!

Archived