Tampa Cruise-Least expensive hotel with shuttle from airport and shuttle to the pier

ms simba

I am trying to plan a Carnival cruise from Tampa in November 2010 flying into Tampa from Minneapolis. What is the least expensive hotel with shuttle from the airport and then shuttle to the pier?

I made a table in 2008 showing all the info about the hotels but of course it is out of date. In the end, we decided to fly into Orlando the day before, stay there, and then drive to Tampa, dropping off our National rental car, and taking the rental car shuttle to the pier. Might do this again if the hotels are way too expensive as they were in 2008 - most of them seemed to be above $100/night.

I am trying to plan a Carnival cruise from Tampa in November 2010 flying into Tampa from Minneapolis. What is the least expensive hotel with shuttle from the airport and then shuttle to the pier?

I made a table in 2008 showing all the info about the hotels but of course it is out of date. In the end, we decided to fly into Orlando the day before, stay there, and then drive to Tampa, dropping off our National rental car, and taking the rental car shuttle to the pier. Might do this again if the hotels are way too expensive as they were in 2008 - most of them seemed to be above $100/night.

Look at Holiday Inn Rocky Point and check out cruise package price. Don't know if it is cheapest.

I looked at the Holiday Inn Rocky Point as that was one of the hotels I was interested in before. However, there Cruise package mentions keeping your car there during the cruise. I will not have a car. So I am wondering if they have a price that includes the room and shuttle charges only.

Does anyone know if they charge the same price $104+ even if you don't have a car?

I looked at the Holiday Inn Rocky Point as that was one of the hotels I was interested in before. However, there Cruise package mentions keeping your car there during the cruise. I will not have a car. So I am wondering if they have a price that includes the room and shuttle charges only.

Does anyone know if they charge the same price $104+ even if you don't have a car?

Your best bet is to call the hotel direct and ask. That way you will know for sure.

Good luck!

WE are booked at HI Rocky Point and I'm pretty sure the rate is the same with car or no car - we are booked for 104.99 (we don't have a car either) It's the cheapest I could find...

Let me know if you find anything cheaper! I'm all ears!

You can Priceline a downtown Tampa 3.5* hotel for ~$50-55 (~$75 total after fees and taxes), and get one of the following: Marriott, Westin, Hyatt or Embassy Suites. All hotels are within 1 mile of the pier and Channelside, an entertainment complex with many restaurants.

Taxi from Tampa airport will run you $25 flat fee to the hotel. In the morning it's $5 flat fee (minimum charge) to the pier.

So $75+25+5= $105 total and you get to stay in a nicer hotel, not that there is anything wrong with the Holiday Inn.

I believe but not sure, the Embassy Suites and the Hyatt will shuttle you to the pier so take $5 off the total price if they do, but even if they don't, it still comes out to the same amount that you're paying for the HI.

I put a bid in at priceline.com and got the Sheraton. Free shuttle to and from airport and free shuttle to port. The bid was for $51, and it was a 3-1/2 star. No free breakfast, but 1 mile from port and can have lunch on ship. :D

Well, so far I've decided to go with Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point. I've already have a tentative reservation with them. I was disappointed that the central reservation agent said that since I didn't have a car that I could do without the "Cruise" package. She gave me a price of $100.79. Then I noticed that I was getting a cheaper rate on the Internet and called them back. They then lowered the rate to $90.72.

However, I got to thinking. The central reservation clerk said that they had free shuttle service within a 4-mile radius and that is why I wouldn't have to pay for a shuttle to the pier. I looked up the miles on MapQuest and the shortest route to the pier was 8 miles. So I called the hotel directly and sure enough their "free" shuttle did not go that far. So car or no car, the Cruise package rate would be $117.59. The clerk said they did not have an option of just paying for the shuttle only. He said a taxi would cost $20-$25.

Well, I figured I could fly into Tampa and not have to fly into Orlando, rent a car, get a room for the night (I have a "free" room there though), and then drive to Tampa the next day. This way I could avoid the Orlando costs, the drive to Tampa, drop my nephew at the pier, then the hassle of dropping off the car, and getting their shuttle to the pier. So figuring the car would cost about $50-$80 for one day, it seemed worth the extra money to do it the easy way.

I checked the Priceline hotels mentioned and found that I would prefer a "Smart Start" breakfast and the airport /pier shuttles instead of a nicer room in a better location. I believe that after the flight from Mpls, all I will want to do is eat something (4-mile radius shuttle) and then go to bed.

Chase Suites Tampa. Free shuttle from airport. Charge by the room for a hotel shuttle to and from the ship. Return to the airport is ok as long as you an extra hour to waite for pickup. Room about $60.00 through Hot wire and $44 round trip shuttle for 2. Also free parking for 14 days if you drive. No restraurant but free breakfast. Free shuttle to shopping and restruarants. Beggins is next door and can be walked too. Rooms have kitchen. Pool.

I put a bid in at priceline.com and got the Sheraton. Free shuttle to and from airport and free shuttle to port. The bid was for $51, and it was a 3-1/2 star. No free breakfast, but 1 mile from port and can have lunch on ship. :D

Was this the Sheraton Tampa Riverwalk? Great price!

I checked the Priceline hotels mentioned and found that I would prefer a "Smart Start" breakfast and the airport /pier shuttles instead of a nicer room in a better location. I believe that after the flight from Mpls, all I will want to do is eat something (4-mile radius shuttle) and then go to bed.

Sorry but I have a hard time grasping your reasoning...

I showed you an option of paying the SAME amount or possibly less for a nicer room in a great location and transportation included. Any one of the high end hotels have nice places to eat within the hotel and are also within walking distance to many other nice restaurants.

You could get the same deal (moneywise), stay in a nice hotel, have access to many different restaurants for basically the same or less money?

I don't get it?

Sorry but I have a hard time grasping your reasoning...

I showed you an option of paying the SAME amount or possibly less for a nicer room in a great location and transportation included. Any one of the high end hotels have nice places to eat within the hotel and are also within walking distance to many other nice restaurants.

You could get the same deal (moneywise), stay in a nice hotel, have access to many different restaurants for basically the same or less money?

I don't get it?

I would not want to place a bid on Priceline and then find the hotel I was given was not one that I wanted. The Sheraton would be great from what I have read but what are my chances of getting that one?

The nicer downtown hotels also have more expensive dining. I was told that I can stop for a soda and food pick up on the way to the Rocky Point hotel.

One other reason I am not too keen on taking a chance on a hotel that does not have shuttle service around the area is that I am handicapped and cannot walk for long distances. I have degenerative arthritis and it limits my mobility. I would probably find it difficult to walk to other places to eat and not being familiar with the area, I would not know which ones were in my price range (on the budget economy side). I am on a limited income being a senior citizen and for this trip I am paying for my nephew to come along so he can help with the luggage, scooter, and other stuff.

I have to be sure about shuttles to/from the airport and would like an option for a shuttle to within a certain distance to pick up snacks/soda (I'll send my nephew off for these).

So don't know if this reasoning makes sense to you because to tell you the truth I really want to try Priceline. Just not sure what I would get and would it fill my needs.

Archived