Dolphin foot push question.

golfmom98

My DS has some pretty big balance issues so I'm debating between the royal swim with the foot push and the swim adventure. I would like some input from some of those who have done either or both and which one you would choose if you were trying to avoid any disappointment from not being able to stay upright during the foot push or if my fears are unfounded. TIA!

We did this in Nassau last year and they tell you to start out lying flat on the surface of the water with your feet pointing down. As the dolphins push your feet, you start slowly moving forward through the water and as you go faster you go a little bit upright. You never actually get totally upright, but the resistance of the water pushing back against your front keeps you pretty steady. In our case anyway, the dolphins seem to be able to maneuver you a little bit to make sure you don't fall over one way or the other. So it didn't seem like our balancing had anything to do with it! Wear a one piece suit or risk losing your bottoms!

I also don't think that the balance would be too big of a problem. We did the foot push there in Cozumel in April. I've actually got pretty good balance, but it still got messed up the first time I tried it. One dolphin got there first, and I never felt the other dolphin, so it didn't work. The trainer thought I bent my knees. If you do, the dolphins will let go. I didn't bend them; the one dolphin just got tired of trying to push me all by herself. On the 2nd attempt, I got both dolphins there, and I was able to do it. It's a strange feeling when the dolphins start pushing on your feet. As long as you can keep your feet turned (not pointing the toe) as they're starting to push you, and as long as you can keep your knees locked, the dolphins basically do the rest. I think you would only fall if you bend your knees.

How old is your son? When we did our swim there was an adult who was slightly special needs that had major problems swimming out to where you must go for the foot push and dorsal ride, she especially had a rough time with the push, I think primairly because the water was so rough. When we were in Cozumel the water was very rough, much more than experienced cruiser had seen there before. From my experience with the swim, I would not want my kids under 11 swimming out for any of the pushes or rides.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the "Royal Dolphin Swim" at Isla Muerjes (spelling?) out of Cancun last summer and the nose push was my fave part of the whole thing!

For us, they had us swim out a ways, lay flat on your stomach "like superman" with your toes pointed to the ocean floor. Only thing you had to do was lock your legs. Nothing balance related (and I'm a pretty clumsy person!) They video taped and photographed ours and so even encouraged people to have fun with their ride.

My only suggestion, make sure your bathing suit is secure!!

It's def an expeirence I'll never forget. Hope you enjoy!

Archived