Internet connection on Oasis of the Seas

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are sailing the Oasis on Aug 21st and would like to know how reliable is the internet connection is on board the ship. I was told by a reservation agent that it was equivalent to dial up and quite slow which I found that hard to believe on a State of the Art ship. Dial up on the Oasis?? My husband needs to be connected to his jobs the whole time while on board and he needs DSL speeds and reliability or he is going to have a problem. Please advise if you have used the internet on board from your own laptops and how it is. Thanks!

Lisa:confused:

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are sailing the Oasis on Aug 21st and would like to know how reliable is the internet connection is on board the ship. I was told by a reservation agent that it was equivalent to dial up and quite slow which I found that hard to believe on a State of the Art ship. Dial up on the Oasis?? My husband needs to be connected to his jobs the whole time while on board and he needs DSL speeds and reliability or he is going to have a problem. Please advise if you have used the internet on board from your own laptops and how it is. Thanks!

I just sailed on the Oasis and was surprised about how good the Internet connection onboard was (WiFi, using my Netbook from the stateroom). However while the speed greatly improved from what I´m used to on other ships, it is nowhere DSL speed. State of the Art ship or not, it´s still a satellite connection.

I had very few connection problems, but again it´s a satellite connection and you are on a moving vessel - there is absolutely no guarantee for 24/7 availablility.

One last comment, I hope you are aware, there are no flatrates onboard, you pay per minute and the cost is 0.65/minute or packages are available. I don´t have the package price at hand.

If he really needs DSL speed and a connection 24/7 I´m sorry, but he´s in trouble.

Oh Dear, I am afraid that on that basis he is going to have a problem, no way is the speed even dial up, obviously this is different when in a port of call, but when relying on the ship only it will be slow.:(

..................My husband needs to be connected to his jobs the whole time while on board and he needs DSL speeds and reliability or he is going to have a problem. ...........

thanks! I was afraid of that. No DSL. I dont know what he is going to do. I was told by rccl of the rates and that they have a package that is 500 minutes I believe for $150.00 or .65 a min. I will inform my husband what you said. Thanks again for your input.

Package rates are:

The cost for Wi-Fi access through your own laptop is:

Base rate is $.65 per minute or choose from one of our prepaid packages:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

Note unused minutes from a package are not refundable.

Don´t forget to tell your husband connection can´t be guaranteed all times either.

There is wifi at some ports. I saw many using wifi at a cafe/bar/grill just off the ship at St Martin. I am not sure the cost.

I used the ship's wifi and it was decent, but spotty. You can't use applications like Skype.

You might have a bit better luck going through your cell provider, I don't know what the international data rates are, but sometimes the phone speed can be quicker than on the ship. I'm assuming he wouldn't be carrying a laptop around all day long just checking in on things periodically throughout the day. Or is going to be staying in the cabin the entire trip on his computer.... if that's the case the vacation isnt worth going on.

I don't think Susan that my husband is going to get off the ship with his laptop and log on land. We are doing the western caribbean sailing ports of Labadee Haiti, Costa Maya Mex and Cozumel Mex. He will just have to take the chance and log on from our stateroom and wish for the best! there is no way I am cancelling this cruise. I have had to move it up twice already because of these jobs he has as a contractor/ software consultant. Thanks.

You might have a bit better luck going through your cell provider, I don't know what the international data rates are, but sometimes the phone speed can be quicker than on the ship. I'm assuming he wouldn't be carrying a laptop around all day long just checking in on things periodically throughout the day. Or is going to be staying in the cabin the entire trip on his computer.... if that's the case the vacation isnt worth going on.

I agree with you on the last few lines. I will tell him to check with his cell phone com. We have AT&T for our cell service. Thanks for your advice.

All things considered, the internet on the Oasis was OK for me.

RCI does have built in restrictions on file uploading. You cannot upload a video or multiple photos. Photos must be uploaded one at a time. I always had my camera set for the smallest file size so I don't know if their are restrictions on larger photo files.

If all he is doing is text, he will be OK.

All things considered, the internet on the Oasis was OK for me.

RCI does have built in restrictions on file uploading. You cannot upload a video or multiple photos. Photos must be uploaded one at a time. I always had my camera set for the smallest file size so I don't know if their are restrictions on larger photo files.

If all he is doing is text, he will be OK.

My husband is not uploading any photos. he just logs on to CVS Pharmacy servers and monitors the payroll of all employees around the US. Its all text. Thanks for your advice on this.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Internet was a concern for us because we are travelling without the kids (6 and 8) and we wanted to use webcam with them to stay in touch.

As I understand, the speed of the Internet on the ship does not allow this and the connection is random. But if we go for a bisis of one hour a day, will would better go for the 500 minutes package. Question: is it good at least for receiving email and connectiong to site such as facebook to give the news of the day to the family?

Also, I asked my cell phone provider and the rates are . . . waouw ! ! ! It is based ont the data transfered and it costs 13,75 Euros (± $19,00) for 1 MB.

At this rate, I think it is even cheaper to call them directly !

Hi all,

Internet was a concern for us because we are travelling without the kids (6 and 8) and we wanted to use webcam with them to stay in touch.

As I understand, the speed of the Internet on the ship does not allow this and the connection is random. But if we go for a bisis of one hour a day, will would better go for the 500 minutes package. Question: is it good at least for receiving email and connectiong to site such as facebook to give the news of the day to the family?

Also, I asked my cell phone provider and the rates are . . . waouw ! ! ! It is based ont the data transfered and it costs 13,75 Euros (± $19,00) for 1 MB.

At this rate, I think it is even cheaper to call them directly !

We did the 500 minute package on Oasis and still purchased an additional package near the end of our cruise. We had 3 of us checking email, Cruise Critic, and Facebook daily. We didn't have a problem with email and Facebook updates. They specifically tell you that Skype won't work due to bandwith use. I am not sure whether they block it, or maybe you just can't rely on using it. The internet is very slow and sporadic.

But - enjoy your cruise! You will have an amazing time!

Archived