Finding the Best Deal on a Specific Cruise

2 questions:

1 - We are looking at booking the Oasis or Allure in 2011. Since we will be narrowing down our cruise ship and date based on the schedules of several people, we will have a specific sailing. Would it be wise to consult with a travel agent, or are discounts they can get only for specific sailings, etc? I have booked the last two cruises directly through RCCL by phone and have gotten the regular advertised rate on both.

2 - The last cruise, we got OBC for a price reduction, and I'm a little disappointed that this won't apply for future cruises if the price doesn't drop within the first 48 hours. So it wouldn't be beneficial for a travel agent or myself to watch the fares. Or would it? I guess if a better rate showed up we could cancel the first reservation and rebook. Any thoughts?

You can still get price drops if you book the cruise prior to final payment being due - up until the final payment date. Just no price drops after final payment date, so at that point you can stop watching fares. The 48 hour rule only applies to cruises booked after final payment.

Travel agents are not permitted to discount prices, but sometimes they hold group space for select sailings and are able to offer lower prices. More commonly travel agents (especially large online ones) offer incentives such as OBC, pre-paid gratuities etc. for booking with them.

Archived