hotel v apartment stay Cairns

pj4jj

Ok, I'm looking at staying a few nights in Cairns and would love to stay somewhere nice on the beach. Is a hotel the way to go or those apartments I seem to keep pulling up. I do want to have eateries close and not cook at all but I want the beach outside my room too.

Help where should I stay.:confused:

Ok, I'm looking at staying a few nights in Cairns and would love to stay somewhere nice on the beach. Is a hotel the way to go or those apartments I seem to keep pulling up. I do want to have eateries close and not cook at all but I want the beach outside my room too.

Help where should I stay.:confused:

Cairns is a "working" city and, even though I love it dearly, is not everyone's idea of an idyllic beach location. That's at least partly because there is no beach! Now didn't I put that nicely?

I would look at the various hotels at Palm Cove which is about 30 minutes north of the airport. There are excellent eateries there along the beachfront and a hotel such as Sebel Reef House and Spa would be an excellent choice. A compromise if you want the extra space that an apartment offers would be Sea Temple at Palm Cove. There are several others too.

You could also look at the various hotel options at Port Douglas which is a little over an hour's drive north of the airport at Cairns. Port Douglas tends to be the busier of the two.

We always stay in apartments when we travel within Australia. This is because we have kids one of which has a food allergy and we like to be able to at least cook our own breakfast in our apartment. It can get very expensive eating out for 3 meals a day. Also apartments are usually much more spacious than hotel rooms and come usually come with a laundry which can come in handy. More like a home away from home.

I would also stay somewhere such as Palm Cove or Port Douglas rather than Cairns.

We have stayed at Kewarra Beach Resort about 15 min north of Cairns.

The room was a detached cabin on the sand overlooking the beautiful beach.

Much better than a hotel room and they also have 2 bedroom suites.

Thanks everyone. I will be checking out Palm Cove for sure. We had a room in Cairns at the Hiton right now but not sure we'll be keeping that!

You guys all rock! Thanks :)

We've booked 3 nights in the Alassio Palm Cove for November. It received some nice reviews on Trip Advisor and an Aussie friend recommended the Palm Cove area. Hope we can find some nice restaurants for dinner.

Check out Vivo, NuNu, and the Reef House at Palm Cove. I think all are excellent although NuNu is probably now overpriced compared with a couple of years ago. And I am free most evenings if you want to take me :)

While Cairns does not have a beach as such tidal flats...you wouldn't swim anyway, large crocodiles and deadly jellyfish!

What it does have is a beautiful boardwalk leading up to a fantastic free outdoor swimming lagoon...plenty of eateries in the area as well.

I have stayed in the apartments along the esplanade and they were very pleasant, modern with lovely views out to sea and a nice 5 minute walk back into town where the restaurants are.

I prefer apartments for the convenience of the extra room, laundry etc. There are some lovely hotels as well. The Sebel is good. Have a look on the trip advisor website for up to the minute reviews.

If you have a few days hire a car lots to see and do and a lovely drive up the coast to Port Douglas.

Archived