Cruising from New York in December???

I am considering cruising on The NCL Jewel out of New York in December and am wondering if there is anyone with experience of cruising out of New York at this time of year or anyone who has any opinions on it. I am concerned that the sea may be quite rough at this time of year and that the weather will be cold going up and down the coast (maybe half the trip?)

My other option is The Carnival Dream out of Port Canaveral, I'm thinking the weather will be better on this one. Does anyone know how these ships compare and if one is better than the other?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance ;)

I am considering cruising on The NCL Jewel out of New York in December and am wondering if there is anyone with experience of cruising out of New York at this time of year or anyone who has any opinions on it. I am concerned that the sea may be quite rough at this time of year and that the weather will be cold going up and down the coast (maybe half the trip?)

My other option is The Carnival Dream out of Port Canaveral, I'm thinking the weather will be better on this one. Does anyone know how these ships compare and if one is better than the other?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance ;)

There are some great bargains for early-mid december cruising out of NY

We were on the GEM from 12/19- 12/26 last year and thought the seas were quite smooth, but this does depend upon mother nature and what she decides to throw at you.

We did find the temperatures a bit chilly during our cruise, in Port Canaveral we had on sweatshirts for a good part of the day.

We will be cruising on the JEWEL this year on 12/12.

Where does the Dream go? If it goes to the Caribbean, then I would recommend that.

I am assuming that the NYC cruise is Port Canaveral and Bahamas? Count on Port Canaveral being in the 60's when you are there. You may get lucky and see 70-80 degree weather, but there is a good chance that you are not enjoying a day at the beach. You also have to consider that the sea days are not going to be fun in the sun. The NYC winter cruise would be a great vacation and infinitely better than working, but it is not at all a fun in the sun vacation.

W have cruised out of NY a couple times, both in January. Weather can be very hit and miss. One year it was very cold in Ny and the next time we were walking around NY in sweatshirts. If choosing NY, I recommend going there at least one day early just in case the weather is bad enough for flight delays.

We did encounter rougher seas going up and down the eastern seaboard but only one day out of both cruises was uncomfortably rough.

As for the actual cruising weather, ours was fine. Cold the 1st and last day, Second and second last day can be cool but we enjoyed them. Think sweatshirt or light jacket temps.

As for the ships, I have not sailed CCL but I sure do love the Jewel.

Enjoy whichever you choose.

Archived