new cruiser, what do i bring??

cess150

hello,

i am new to crusing as this will be my first cruise. me(22) and my girlfriend(20) are scheduled on the march 19 cruise. my question is what special things do i need to bring. i mean i know the obvious things like clothes, shampoos ect but what things do i need to bring that the first time cruiser does not know about? any imput would be greatly appriciated!

I assume you're going to the Caribbean - right?

• Water-resistant Sunscreen - and lots of it!
  • Aloe-Vera (for those spots that you always miss w/ the sunscreen)
  • Sunglasses
  • Swimwear - preferably 2 each.
  • Sandals that are OK to get wet
  • Camera w/ extra film and extra-extra batteries
  • a medium tote bag w/ a luggage-tag to carry towels, cameras and bottles of water ashore - and your small purchases back onto the ship
  • iPod or some other kind of music device
  • extra contact lenses

and most important:

Money!!!;)

Forget the shampoo - it's supplied. Bring some sunblock, something if you get the trots, but most of all - bring some good attitude. At your ages, you should be dancing in the disco until it closes while watching the stars through the windows; then, take a stroll around the decks. Midnight hot tub - go for it! My point is simple. Every young kid (under 30...) on the Opera had a blast just trying everything, seeing everything and sampling everything. Personally, I am one who hates dressing up, but trust me, it is very different on board a ship. It is FUN; something to do at the end of a tough day sitting on the beach or around the pool. Have a go posing for the photographer on the marble staircase. Don't like the picture? No problem - don't buy it. But, I would be willing to bet that you will want to bring one photo home. Want more Opera suggestions? Just ask. I also firmly believe that the fun should start BEFORE you leave home. Do some cruise shopping. Have a cruise warm-up party. Have fun from the moment you leave the front door until the final "luggage scrum" when you leave the ship. (BTW, my wife and I are both geezers.)

I always pack my lady's fold up umbrella, I just take a $1 one from the dollar store, then if I lose it or it dies on me I don't worry.

I find many islands have the best sunniest weather in the morning, cloudy later and raining in the afternoon.

I guess it may depend on what side of the island you're on but you don't get any choice where the ship docks.

And microfiber swimmers are great they dry so quickly I just pack one pair now.

I have the greatest respect for Canadians, sister living in NS married to a Native Canadian, you have a great country, didn't know you came from there.

Only joking about the geezer thing, in UK we really do only apply it to men, if it is prefixed with old then it is an old man, if we said " what a geezer" then it can be very complimentary.

We would call an elderly female an old bat, but only if she couldn't hear us saying it.

I'm 28 and my hubby is 38 and we were in bed by 10 while my parents, 51 and 60, were up til the wee hours partying most nights!! lol One night, my mom, my hubby and I were all feeling sick b/c of the rough sea and went to bed early and my dad went back out and partied at the Byblos til 2 with the Animations team! lol

Oh and definitely bring sun block. The sun is SUPER strong on the islands.

I, on the other hand, have no respect at all for Brits.... How is it possible that a country which once conquered half the word has yet to figure out central heating?

Just kidding, of course. When it comes to cruising and the open seas, my wife and I I have enjoyed the company of so many of your countrymen.

Oakville - it must be a long while since you were in UK - eh?

nearly eveyone has central heating now, if you are a senior citizen the government ever pay for it to be put in for you and a few hundred pounds a year for the fuel -( natural gas, no coal anymore).

I have a solution to colder weather - we go to Florida every winter, although our winters in UK are not cold by your standards anyway.

I am dual nationality so no problems there thank goodness.

hey everyone,

thanks for all the info, i am going to have a blast. one more question though, did anyone have any problems using a birth certificate to get on the boat? i just want to use mine so i dont have to go spend $115 on a passport. the travel agent said it would be no problem but you know how they can be... thanks again

I would strongly advise you to get a passport as soon as possible. US citizens are about the only people in the "civilized" world who expect to be able to travel without a passport.

The world is changing fast and I will guarantee that although you may get away without one for a little while longer this situation will not last and will probably increasingly cause you some inconvenience meanwhile.

The list of countries you can travel to without a passport is now a pretty small one. You will have to check on that.

To travel in the Caribbean unless the situation has changed without me knowing in any case you will need some form of valid current government issued PHOTO ID AS WELL AS a birth certificate which has been issued by a valid recognized authority which has a raised seal on it from the issuer. Some birth certificates which were valid at one time are now not valid. You must check up for yourself to be absolutely sure.

If you are going to travel to Europe or Asia in the future you will definitely need a passport so get one now, save yourself a lot of grief, they won't get cheaper.

My father just had his naturalization papers (which they said would be fine) and a photo ID. When we went to embark, they started giving him a hard time about it. Def. spend the $115 to get your passport so you don't run into any unneeded headaches.

I would strongly advise you to get a passport as soon as possible. US citizens are about the only people in the "civilized" world who expect to be able to travel without a passport.

The world is changing fast and I will guarantee that although you may get away without one for a little while longer this situation will not last and will probably increasingly cause you some inconvenience meanwhile.

The list of countries you can travel to without a passport is now a pretty small one. You will have to check on that.

To travel in the Caribbean unless the situation has changed without me knowing in any case you will need some form of valid current government issued PHOTO ID AS WELL AS a birth certificate which has been issued by a valid recognized authority which has a raised seal on it from the issuer. Some birth certificates which were valid at one time are now not valid. You must check up for yourself to be absolutely sure.

If you are going to travel to Europe or Asia in the future you will definitely need a passport so get one now, save yourself a lot of grief, they won't get cheaper.

I agree 110%. Don't even think about it. Get a passport. When you show a passport there's never any question about who you are. There are a lot of other situations where you will be glad you have one but I will not elaborate on all of them here. You need to do this!

The only problem that i have is that passports take longer than i expected to arrive, even if i order one now their is no guarantee that it will be here by the time i have to leave( my cruise departs in just over a month) thats why i was asking if i would be ok with just a birth certificate. i am going to call the cruise lines just to double check so that way if they give me any grief about boarding the ship i can refer them to that person. also i am in teh military and have a military I.D. so i dont think they will question my citizenship too much, afterall you can only join if you are a citizen...

oh also baout the whole birth certificate thing, the one that i have was issued in june of 2004 so its not very old. it does not have the raised seal becausde my state( MInnesota) suposedly doesn not do that anymore. it does have water marks on it though and is labled an official minnesota state document... just thought i would share that....

I've traveled on the photo ID/Birth Cert. combo to both Canada and the Carib - no problems.

I agree that a passport is a better solution long term - but for one who is traveling last minute, its not generally a problem.

cess150---

A bit of friendly advice...

As former active duty USAF, I strongly suggest NOT using your military ID when traveling abroad. You need to keep your military status as low-profile as possible to protect yourself, your family and those traveling with you from unwanted attention. There are many folks in many other countries who vehemently disagree w/ US Policy & may take the opportunity to take their frustrations out on you and those around you.

When I was stationed overseas, we had this drilled into us daily - to make yourself a target in someone else's country is arrogant foolishness.

Grow your hair out for your vacation, leave all military issue items at home and travel on your civilian photo ID (a state-issued driver's license works just fine) & Birth Cert. or get your passport - a month is plenty enough time to get one.

BTW - No, you don't have to be a citizen to be in the US Military...

I agree totally with the above post.

Joining the US military is a popular Hispanic fast track route to citizenship for foreign non citizens - look here:

http://www.nshp.org/?q=node/219

photo ID State Drivers License is going to be OK, as will your birth certificate, for Caribbean Canada Mexico.

Don't even tell anyone you are in the Army! Its really not popular even with many US citizens. Don't make yourself a target.

BUT PLEASE GET A PASSPORT! You will never regret it.

Thanks everyone for all of your help, i am a bit more at ease about the whole situation. it really sucks that it has come down to being a target while in the military now..... only three months to go untill i am out though so i am counting down the days. this cruise is kinda a reward for myself and my g/f for all that we have had to put up with over the past 4 years. i will let you all know how it goes. thanks again!

I'm sorry ... give me a break ... the man is serving his country and you're telling him don't tell even anyone you're in the Army? That is a real tragedy.

Without going into a political discussion, the real tragedy is that the American military isn't winning any popularity contests in most parts of the world these days - so why should this young man provoke anyone by making it completely obvious that he's in the US Army when he doesn't need to?

You may also think that there isn't a chance of anything unpleasant happening on a cruise vacation, right? If so, you've obviously forgotten about a certain cruiseship called Achille Lauro. You've obviously never lived on a military base overseas where the citizens of the country are picketing, yelling, waving clenched fists and throwing cans & bottles at the American servicemen guarding the gate. You've also obviously never come out of subway in a major world capitol city and suddenly found yourself in the middle of an angry Anti-American/Anti-War demonstration. Wondering which radical Middle-Eastern country or Islamic capitol I experienced this?

It was during the first Iraqi War in Tokyo, Japan.

We merely advised this young man to use common sense and not use his US military ID on a foreign-flagged ship sailing outside of American waters to foreign countries both for his safety and for the safety of other Americans traveling with him.

If you can't appreciate that, I'm very sorry.

Don't even tell anyone you are in the Army! Its really not popular even with many US citizens. Don't make yourself a target.

Brian, I sincerely understand your advice about the need to be discreet; I don't expect him to walk around bragging about being in the military and carrying a bull's eye. But I think it's carrying it too far urge a man coming out of the military to not even talk about the past four years ... "it's really not popular even with many US citizens ..."

And when exactly was it that the U.S. Army devolved into a popularity contest?

I''m well aware of the Achille Lauro. I'm well aware of the hostility Americans and our military face abroad. I'm also well aware of the appreciation lavished on our military abroad -- though you'd be hard put to gauge that from news reports nowadays. It's simply a tragedy that a man who volunteered four years to protect and serve is urged at all costs to hide his light behind a bushel, so to speak. I wonder what MSC did with the ambassadors lecturing on board?

Too bad I'm not on that cruise; but if I came across military on my cruise, you can count on me buying you a drink. So ... see you at the bar, Brian ;)

autually everyone i am in the NAVY but i hear what you are all saying. i just got back from a 8 month deployment aboard the uss enterprise about 3 months ago so i can relate to all the hostility you are all talking about. i have ben to a couple different places in the middle east, the U.K. and spain. i am goin to keep my military status in the wrap because that what we were trained to do when traveling, i just thought that it might give me an edge when boarding the ship.. now that i look at it it is probably the other way around. the whole situation in my eyes is just plain sad, what happened to the days when military personnel were heroic figures and looked up to??.... anwho enough on that i am just getting psyched about my cruise! 28 days and counting! =)

Archived