Hobby

zmjh45

Never second guess an early arrival - fog, storms, Immigration and Customs late.

Have been off the ship by 7:30 am and then another time after 11am, and we live on the island.

This applies to all ports anywhere. Arrived and off ship on FLL at 8am, next time 11:30am.

Typically, a noon flight would be okay. But nothing is ever guaranteed 100%.

Totally agree with Galveston cruiser. I wouldn't even do the 2pm flight if I were you, especially if it's out of IAH (1-1.5 hr drive from Galveston). On our Ecstasy cruise last year, we got in about 8am, and we weren't through customs until a few minutes after noon. Granted, customs were being slow that day, but you never know. And Galveston's weather can often be tricky.

Carnival has a special departure class that allows you to be the first ones off the ship, IF you carry off everything you brought on and DON'T leave your bag outside the door the night before. We did this on our last Galveston cruise and were munching some Whataburger by 9am. The rest of our crew, that didn't join the adventure with us and carry off was aboard ship until 12:30pm or so. We caught a noon flight with no worries. That being said...

zmjh45 - I have to agree with cks: I wouldn't count on making the 2pm flight out of Bush-Intercontinental (IAH). Hobby (HOU), yes. IAH, no. It's really a long drive from Galveston to north of Houston where IAH is. And I-45, which takes you straight north to IAH, is about the most congested freeway in Houston, no matter what time of day.

Carnival has a special departure class that allows you to be the first ones off the ship, IF you carry off everything you brought on and DON'T leave your bag outside the door the night before. We did this on our last Galveston cruise and were munching some Whataburger by 9am. The rest of our crew, that didn't join the adventure with us and carry off was aboard ship until 12:30pm or so. We caught a noon flight with no worries. That being said...

I wouldn't even count on self-disembarking. The people that did that on our Ecstasy cruise got through customs maybe an hour before us. Granted, customs was just a mess and that's what backed everything up. But, unfortunately, you never can count on getting off the ship early. 9 times out of 10, you'll make the noon flight. But that 1 time you don't really really sucks!

Archived