Bernard's Tours or Joyce Prince Tours?

Has anyone done tours with both of these guides? If so, which would you recommend and why?

A year and a half out is way to early to be making decisions about any island tours.

gary

Has anyone done tours with both of these guides? If so, which would you recommend and why?

No flames please from people who have loved their private tour of St. Maarten, as this is just my opinion. This is not an island that I would recommend a guided tour in. It is safe and small and easy to get around and explore. There are so many suggestions and tourist information available so that one can plan a wonderful day just to their liking without relying on finding the perfect tour guide. Would I suggest a tour in Dominica,yes, St. Lucia,you bet I would, but I really don't see the need in St. Martin unless there are physical limitations on the part of the cruiser. I have never seen so much information on this board regarding private tours as I have in the past couple of months and quite frankly it really has me puzzled.

If you're suggesting just renting a car and exploring, I posted my reaction to that idea here back in 2005.

The price of a taxi tour has gone up, but I'll stand by my suggestion to take a tour.

Hi there;

I was all set to send you off to a couple of recommended car rental agencies, Arthur's and Best Deal, give you advice about picking up the car -- yes, inspect it. Dents? Hubcaps? Take digital pictures if you have the capability. Check for a spare and jack. Buy the Liability Insurance. NEVER leave anything in the car or the trunk. Watch out for the Suicycles! ----- and on and on, but I had a change of heart.

You don't need to worry about all that stuff on vacation. If you're driving on an unfamiliar island you can't really enjoy the sights -- you'e looking for the next sign. And imagine the fight you could get into if you miss a sign and then won't stop to ask for directions. I can't be responsible for something like that!

Get a car the next time you're on the island, but this time take a Taxi Tour or a Private Tour as offered by our friend Joyce Prince and others. You can sit back and relax (with a cold beer in your hand if you so desire -- no law against it) and enjoy the scenery.

Having someone explain where you are and what you're seeing is nice, too, and you can just follow along on that map, instead of trying to navigate by it. Stop to hop out for a few pictures? No problem 'mon.

And if you happen to have a few more cold ones while on the beach, isn't it nice to have someone else drive you back to the ship? Also making sure that you don't get lost in some mad dash back to the rental agency!

You should be able to get a taxi tour for $25/pp or less (make friends on the first days of the cruise and share a taxi) or a Private Tour for a bit more. If you happen to be traveling with friends you have your small group ready made.

Let me know what you decide.

gary

I haven't taken Bernard but I have toured with Joyce twice. Once just my wife and I. Excellent tour. She'll take you on her own route around the island and/or let you tell her where'd you like to go while giving a good history of the island.

Now the second trip was just last month. 19 of us boarded an A/C minibus for a day of beach bar hopping and history of the island tour. This was totally set up by my requests on where I wanted to go. The day of the tour was my 50th B-day. Between stops Joyce gave us a running history of the island along with supplying beer, water, and rum punch.

I don't think she'll forget us for awhile.:D

But basically she'll provide you with whatever you are interested in seeing and doing.

I'd definitely recommend her.

If you're suggesting just renting a car and exploring, I posted my reaction to that idea here back in 2005.

The price of a taxi tour has gone up, but I'll stand by my suggestion to take a tour.

Here is what I was thinking when I posted. On the some of the ports of call boards there seems to be anxiety about booking tours and tour guides. Like you pointed out yourself when you noticed that the OP was not sailing for a year and a half and they were already requesting information on the two most known guides to us here at CC. On some of the islands it is for safety reasons that people do this either to keep them physically safe (you read, "he is a former police officer") and on other islands it may be that only one guide at this time is taking people to the latest and greatest site that he and only he is going to. For some renting a car on St. Martin is a great idea and of all of the islands I have been to, to me this island is one of the easier to explore this way on your own. I do not think that this is for everyone though and personally I have not rented a car while on the island for a day as of yet. We may do this on our next stop and head over to Grand Case for the day but we may just take a taxi instead. I have always had wonderful, friendly taxi drivers on the island who get me where I want to go safely and fill me in on the latest goings on in St. Maarten. I was just trying to bring up the point that this is one island that in my opinion you do not have to fear going out and exploring without hiring someone to be with you for the day. St. Maarten is a wonderful island and I think that it is a great island to go out and discover what brings back so many visitors back year after year. And for me it is not our timeshare because we out grew that years ago and swap it for a bigger place elsewhere.;)My advise, read the boards, other travel sites and plan a day with the information that you have gathered. Last year we discovered a new beach that we had never been to and earlier this year it was a bakery, to some that is not a big deal but when I hear of some of the fortresses that my friends vacation on, I am that much happier that I can still explore and discover St. Martin .

Good morning Chloedmom!

I toured with Bernard in 2007 and Joyce in 2008. I found both of them equal in pricing and service.

On my tour with Bernard in 2007, there was only three of us. Bernard gave us a great tour of the whole island. Both I and the other two had a basic idea of what we wanted to do for the day.

In 2008 I had a private tour with Joyce. Since I had visited the island the year before, there were some things that I didn't want to do and others where I wanted to spend more time at. I'm not a big beach person so beach time. I wanted to spend more time on the French side and tour the ruin fort (the year before I was too busy shopping!). I also was on the lookout for local rum and hot sauce. Joyce took me to a local shop not on the tourist main run. She also took me by a supermarket (which had better prices on a certain liquor a friend wanted) and also lunch at a local eatery.

You can't go wrong with either.

As for planning over a year ahead, don't worry about looking for info. I always check out info early to gather a feel for pricing,length of tours,etc. On some tours and guides, you have to book early to get them for the desired dates. For example for my upcoming December cruise, I was inquiring about tours last December. I'm already looking at a particular tour for my September 2011 tour.

We rented a car on St. Maarten about 10 years ago and had no problems. But I agree I could live without the additional stress this time around and like the idea of booking a private taxi/tour. I discovered Joyce is booked for the day we're there so was thinking of just negotiating with a driver at the pier for a daily rate for our family of four. Anyone else tried this?

Three times have just chosen a driver at piers/docks...St Johns, Grand Cayman and Mazatlan.

St Johns and Grand Cayman were disappointing and Mazatlan was just ok.

With all the recommendations on these boards I would certainly not do this again.

I have never toured with Joyce but having toured with Bernard he is our all time favorite tour guide.

When I am on vacation I want to sit back and relax and let someone else do the driving and show us the islands.

Laura

Just back from St. Maarten and though I rent a car and tour on my own since I've been around 7 times or so, I had a chance to talk with Bernard extensively this last trip. I met him both at Orient Beach while he was having lunch and waiting for passengers who were swimming and then he came over to talk to me as I was photographing planes at Maho Beach while he was waiting for passengers as well. We had a great conversation and he seems like a very knowledgeable and experienced guide. He's originally from St. Lucia, but has been living in St. Maarten for over 20 years now. From my conversations with him, I would definitely highly recommend him for anyone wanting a guided tour from a consummate pro.

Hi Choledmom ~ My mother (64), her friend (58), and I (34) plan on booking the same Ruby cruise you are booked for!

I too, am looking at tours and such now, I dont think there is every such a thing as being over informed!

Archived