stockholm hotel locations - need urgent advice pls

Hi,

I have an urgent question as I have to give an answer today - what area would you recommend : Hotel Rival or Radisson Blu Royal? We want to be in an area that is safe at night - close to restaurants, or evening events , a place that is interesting to stroll around in the evenings - what would you suggest?

thanks a million

Lannie

I guess you mean Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel, there are other Radisson hotels in the area?

Hotel Rival is located south of Gamla Stan in an area named Södermalm. This used to be the poor part of Stockholm but is now a lively, mainly residential area with a lot of restaurants and some night life. The area has unique little shops, not only the usual mainstream.

Radisson Blu Royal Viking is to the north of Gamla Stan next to the central railway station. This is more of a business and shopping area. There are restaurants in the area but not much night life.

In my mind Hotel Rival would definitely be the better of the two. Particularly when you say you like to stroll around in the evening. But I may be prejudices, Södermalm is where I live and I love this part of Stockholm.

Here is a map where you can see where the two hotels are located:

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=59.324958,18.067446&spn=0.024127,0.056391&t=h&z=14&msid=100446628536787947860.00048aa4ce51c206c86a4

I guess you mean Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel, there are other Radisson hotels in the area?

Hotel Rival is located south of Gamla Stan in an area named Södermalm. This used to be the poor part of Stockholm but is now a lively, mainly residential area with a lot of restaurants and some night life. The area has unique little shops, not only the usual mainstream.

Radisson Blu Royal Viking is to the north of Gamla Stan next to the central railway station. This is more of a business and shopping area. There are restaurants in the area but not much night life.

In my mind Hotel Rival would definitely be the better of the two. Particularly when you say you like to stroll around in the evening. But I may be prejudices, Södermalm is where I live and I love this part of Stockholm.

Here is a map where you can see where the two hotels are located:

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=59.324958,18.067446&spn=0.024127,0.056391&t=h&z=14&msid=100446628536787947860.00048aa4ce51c206c86a4

I agree with North-Bound on this one, hands down. The Rival is a real upscale hotel that celebrities like to stay in, but it's kind of a secret. It is owned by Benny Andersson, yes, the guy from ABBA. Sean, the concierge there is a good friend of the family.

The Raddison near the central station .... ummmmm, I would not recommend that one.

Enjoy your time in Stockholm,

Al

I agree with North-Bound on this one, hands down. The Rival is a real upscale hotel that celebrities like to stay in, but it's kind of a secret. It is owned by Benny Andersson, yes, the guy from ABBA. Sean, the concierge there is a good friend of the family.

The Raddison near the central station .... ummmmm, I would not recommend that one.

Hi Al, thank you for supporting my view. I think I could also have made it more clear by mentioning that Rival is in a nice big square with a lot of trees and flowers. Many people meet here, for instance to play boule in the evening. While Royal Viking is located within the traffic chaos in front of the Central Station.

Rival is also closer to Gamla Stan and it is nicer to walk there. From Royal Viking it is a longer walk and with a lot of traffic.

Hi Al, thank you for supporting my view. I think I could also have made it more clear by mentioning that Rival is in a nice big square with a lot of trees and flowers. Many people meet here, for instance to play boule in the evening. While Royal Viking is located within the traffic chaos in front of the Central Station.

Rival is also closer to Gamla Stan and it is nicer to walk there. From Royal Viking it is a longer walk and with a lot of traffic.

Hi North-Bound,

I hope the OP got the message in time and chose the Rival :)

Al

hi guys,

i didn't get the messages on time and followed the first response which was to not choose the rival - yikes - i am en route right now - arrive in a few hours - hope its not too bad... anyhow thx for responding - maybe next time

• 3 weeks later...

in case you still see this - we were afterall very happy with our decision to go with the Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel in the middel of town - so central, close to everything, everything within easy walking distance - comfortable, clean, good service - probably the better choice for a rushed 3 day visit before a cruise. I'm sure Rival is great too perhaps for a more relaxed visit.

in case you still see this - we were afterall very happy with our decision to go with the Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel in the middel of town - so central, close to everything, everything within easy walking distance - comfortable, clean, good service - probably the better choice for a rushed 3 day visit before a cruise. I'm sure Rival is great too perhaps for a more relaxed visit.

Thanks for checking back in. The bottom line is that you had a good time. Come visit us again.

Al

Archived