Potential first time cruise - Braemar

Alibobs

We are considering the Braemar Canaries Cruise in October.....never having cruised before I have lots of questions, this forum has been very helpful and I have learnt a lot! We are in our late forties, if we dont cruise we will probably go to the Canaries anyway and stay in a nice hotel - its our Silver Wedding celebration and this will be the honeymoon we couldn't afford 25 years ago!

Wonder if anyone can advise about dining - is a table for two frowned upon? We are sociable but I do have concerns about getting lumbered with ths ship's bore!!!

Dressing for dinner - I understand there are likely to be formal nights, informal nights and casual nights......a different outfit each time or can you wear the same thing twice? I usually pack very light for my hols, was amazed to see the luggage allowance.....haven't got that many cases!!

Laundry - is this a huge extra cost?

I've cruised with Fred Olsen, but never on the Braemar, so my comments are about FO in general.

Wonder if anyone can advise about dining - is a table for two frowned upon? We are sociable but I do have concerns about getting lumbered with ths ship's bore!!!

We've had tables for two on other FO ships, but looking at the deck plans the Braemar doesn't appear to have any/many tables for two, ask away. We've always gone for larger tables, that way you'll hopefully get a better variety of people!

Dressing for dinner - I understand there are likely to be formal nights, informal nights and casual nights......a different outfit each time or can you wear the same thing twice? I usually pack very light for my hols, was amazed to see the luggage allowance.....haven't got that many cases!!

You can wear the same if you want. My wife likes to take a different dress for each formal night, and a variety of clothes that can be mixed and matched for the other nights, but it's up to you.

You don't have to fill the luggage allowance, remember you'll have to transport it, and then store it in your cabin, although they usually have good amounts of space.

Enjoy, Fred Olsen ships are wonderful.

Hi Alibobs

My answers below

It's not frowned upon at all - but we have giggled at some right glum twosomes! You can certainly tell the state of people's relationships if you people watch tables for two.;)

But at this late stage it would be doubtful if you do get a table to two. We always asK for a table for 8 - the bigger the group the less chance of the dreaded ship's bore (well at least others on the table can help to 'dilute' them) and you tend to get a nice mix of people. The other people will also help you celebrate your BIG night.

If it's really bad you can ask to be moved - but I've only heard this option being invoked once on several cruise forums and never even heard of this via word of mouth.

It is polite to let your table companions know if you are going to be using the alternative dining option.

On our last cruise we were on a table for 4 - but the other 2 never, ever appeared so I assume the additional places were never filled. It was lovely for just the two of us for a change, but our 20th wedding anniversary evening meal was rather flat and we did miss the company of a group of people. A big plus of a larger group is instant chance to make pals for pre dinner drinks/outtings etc.

I have a lovely formal long, black fishtail skirt - I use that for all formal nights with different tops and accessories. The tops appear again on a later night in the cruise with either a white or black pair of linen trousers for the semi formal nights. The linen trousers are rehashed with less dressy tops for casual nights. I then slip in a couple of dresses to give me some choice - and stop me going "I've got nothing to wear".

Laundry - is this a huge extra cost?

Not sure exactly - it's only nominal. If I remember from a previous post about £2-3 and that includes detergent and conditioner. You get a token and it's charged to your on board account.

We've had tables for two on other FO ships, but looking at the deck plans the Braemar doesn't appear to have any/many tables for two, ask away. We've always gone for larger tables, that way you'll hopefully get a better variety of people!

There were several tables for two in the Grampian restaurant so request that if you'd like a table for two!

Btw there is a self-self laundrette as well which didn't cost much for the tokens.

Hi There,

Cruised on FO and the Braemar.

I often think first time cruisers think that the whole dining experience is something to worry about. We did, but I can assure you nobody is judging you or making notes on what you wore last night.

My wife and I love "dressing up for dinner" so we try and wear something different every night, but that is just our thing. We dance so my wife has lots of dresses anyway.

As for tables I would always go for an 8, but again its choice. We would feel a bit left out on a table for 2 as most tables are just full of conversation and smiles. I have yet to meet a bore on a cruise, ok some folk may be quite but that's life.

Before we started to cruise we never ever interacted with other people in hotels, now it's impossible not to meet good company. So trust me go for a larger table.

Laundry, never used it so sorry no help there.

Hope this is of interest

Thank you 1160, that is interesting as hubby and I never really bother to mix when we stay in hotels....as I said we are quite sociable at home but on hols we tend to just chill out and enjpy our own company. We realise a cruise will be a very different experience, it is really good to hear about other people's experiences.

Alibobs - I say snap. On our first cruise we did keep ourselves to ourselves but I really think the more 'formal' style of cruising lends itself to making friends on board. And we have been happy to do so and are still in touch with people now. It's also quite difficult to lose yourselves on a ship too the only place you are not on your own is in your cabin! We still keep ourselves to ourselves on our annual seaside holiday.

Alibobs - Have you decided which ship you're going on yet? If it's the 5th October one, I'll let you know where we'll be having a nightcap each evening, and you can say hello if you like the look of us! (And ignore us if you don't!) ;)

JB

Lol Gelbel......I have already thought, if we take to cruising, we could have both kinds of holiday each year!!!!

Unless you are loaded be prepared for all sorts of sacrifices to be able to have both. :(

Not loaded I'm afraid, and two kids at Uni from September so not likely to be for a while!

Jammy Bun, havent made a decision yet, probably won't be in a position to book for a few weeks due to family complications......realise this may mean we miss the boat (ha ha) so to speak but que sera sera

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we have taken the plunge and booked our very first cruise.....Braemar, 05 October.

Thank you all for your comments and advice, particulalry Jammy Bun whose advice re the availability was very useful

Am very excited but I did dream about the Titanic last night - must have been at the back of my mind!

Now, how to lose a stone before October..........

Hurrah!

I'll let you know, nearer the time, where we'll be on the first evening and how you will recognise us - then if you want to say hello you can do so.

Did you go for the Balcony Suite? We're in the deluxe balcony cabins, just outside the Observatory. We've stayed in one of them before, they used to be Balcony Suite grade but for some reason were downgraded, anyway we know they're OK so decided to opt for them.

JammyBun

Hi Jammy,

We did go for a Balcony Suite - we got what we consider a good deal. It's guaranteed so I don't know which one but following your pointers about availability could be 7043? that disappeared when we booked and has a fixed double bed which is what we have.

There were no balcony cabins left but i see one has reappeared today.

(I have turned into Fred Olsens biggest stalker!)

I have taken many cruises with Fred. Olsen but not on the "Braemar". However, all their ships follow the same pattern. If there are any table for two still available (they tend to be booked very quickly) it is certainly an option. Nobody will frown upon you but you will miss an important part of the social side of cruising.

There are normally two formal nights per week and most people conform to the dress code. There are also the occasional "theme" night eg Western, Tropical etc which you can take part in or not according to your wishes. Most nights are informal or casual.

How many clothes you take depends to a considerable degree on whether it is a fly-cruise or a cruise from the UK. If it is the former you will have weight constraints for the flight. The laundry service is very good but not cheap but if you prefer there is a self-service laundrette on all the ships.

You will find Fred. Olsen ships very friendly and you certainly can expect service with smile. Bon voyage.

Thank you Parsman - we have requested a table of 8, we have decided to enter into the full spirit of cruising and go for it!

Ditto the clothes.....I have a few "posh frocks" that I have not worn for a few years but I will dust them down. I do like to dress up and think the opportunities to do so are less and less these days

I am really looking forward to it now we have taken the plunge and booked

Archived