When to start bidding on Priceline?

Sunshine-lady

We are going to Miami March 3 for two nights pre-cruise. When should (or could) we start bidding for hotels on PL? We are wanting 3 1/2 star in Miami downtown (would LOVE to get Marriot Biscayne Bay). What dollar amount should we start our bidding? Thanks for any and all suggestions. We have never bid on PL before.

Go to a site like www.betterbidding.com for specific advice on bidding strategies and timing.

In general bidding closer to your departure date will yield better results as hotels try to fill unsold rooms; if there is a high demand (big event, spring break, holiday, etc.) for rooms you may get skunked.:eek: You should reserve a room that you can cancel without penalty as a back-up.:cool: Good luck!:)

If you have your eye on a specific hotel you might want to use hotwire instead. As well as betterbidding.com's hotel lists, use this new site and you'll be able to figure out the hotel that you are booking. This site will help with priceline too and is up to date.

http://hoteldealsrevealed.com/

You're pretty early, but if you spot something now, go ahead. As John said, last minute deals usually are the best.

We booked on Priceline 11 months early. We are going in Decemeber and bid 3.5 stars in downtown Miami. Started at $70.00 and went up be $5.00 a bid then got the Marriott Biscayne Bay for $80.00 per night. I know we arranged this early and would have got a better price if we waited, but I cannot travel like that...:)

We booked on Priceline 11 months early. We are going in Decemeber and bid 3.5 stars in downtown Miami. Started at $70.00 and went up be $5.00 a bid then got the Marriott Biscayne Bay for $80.00 per night. I know we arranged this early and would have got a better price if we waited, but I cannot travel like that...:)

Did you have to change anything? We really want to stay in a 3.5 star in downtown Miami? Can I keep biddding on Priceline for a 3.5 star for downtown Miami and just keep uping my bid?

Did you have to change anything? We really want to stay in a 3.5 star in downtown Miami? Can I keep biddding on Priceline for a 3.5 star for downtown Miami and just keep uping my bid?

Without any changes, you can bid once every 24 hours.

Without any changes, you can bid once every 24 hours.

Sunshine-Lady, you should read about bidding strategies on http://www.biddingfortravel.com or http://www.betterbidding.com. Not familiar with that new site, but I will be checking it out. As mentioned you can only bid once every 24 hours, without any other changes, apart from the price. However, one thing that is often mentioned are "free rebids" which generally refer to adding another area to your bid, that doesn't have any 3.5 or higher hotels to your bid. That way you can rebid immediately and know you won't get a room in the newly added area. Remember though that PL will "upgrade" you to a higher level, so you might get a 4 star or a "resort" which might be a good thing or might not. When you bid for a 3.5 you are really bidding for a 3.5 or higher. So if you do use the "free rebid" make sure that the additional areas ONLY Have 3* or lower in their area.

Alan

Sunshine-Lady, you should read about bidding strategies on www.biddingfortravel.com or www.betterbidding.com. Not familiar with that new site, but I will be checking it out. As mentioned you can only bid once every 24 hours, without any other changes, apart from the price. However, one thing that is often mentioned are "free rebids" which generally refer to adding another area to your bid, that doesn't have any 3.5 or higher hotels to your bid. That way you can rebid immediately and know you won't get a room in the newly added area. Remember though that PL will "upgrade" you to a higher level, so you might get a 4 star or a "resort" which might be a good thing or might not. When you bid for a 3.5 you are really bidding for a 3.5 or higher. So if you do use the "free rebid" make sure that the additional areas ONLY Have 3* or lower in their area.

Alan

This is Sunshine-lady. I'm on a different computer. Thanks for all the suggestions. We will try this strategy. Just trying to figure out when to start. We know March is a busy season. But, we thought being early March, it wouldn't be that bad. We do have a hotel booked, but will be trying PL in the near future. Thanks again.

Archived