Bermuda Dress Code

mom4travel

Hi,

I've got a little bit of a crazy question . . . But, in reading some literature about Bermuda I have ran across seveal comments about proper attire while in Bermuda -- which leaves me with a couple of questions. We have never been to Bermuda -- only to the Caribbean where when getting off the ship for a beach day or sightseeing in a swimsuit with cover up would fit right in. But, is it "proper" to leave the ship in Bermuda dressed in a swimsuit/sleeveless cover up to spend part of the day doing sightseeing tours and then going to the beach. I hate to waste time going back to ship to change. Or, I hate to have to lug around extra bags to change while out and about. Any ideas/thoughts/suggestons???

Thanks for your help!

Just remember swim suits on the beach or boats...men go shirtless only on the beach or boat....At one time, don't know if it is still so, but it was against the law for a man to go without a shirt in public areas. Other than that Bermuda has relaxed many of the dress codes. Have fun

Thanks for your quick response! You made me feel better by saying the dress was a little more relaxed. I would never second guess wearing my suit/cover-up in other places, but, from what I had read the laws seemed a little stricter. I would not want to offend anyone or be out of place!

We were coming back from Horseshoe Bay and decided to walk up the hill in our bathing suits so that we could be dried off by the time we got to the bus stop. There was a bus almost ready to leave when we got to the stop so we decided to jump on..totally forgetting that we hadn't put our clothes back on. The driver had no problem letting me and my younger dd on, but he made my older dd put on a shirt before boarding the bus :o .

We were coming back from Horseshoe Bay and decided to walk up the hill in our bathing suits so that we could be dried off by the time we got to the bus stop. There was a bus almost ready to leave when we got to the stop so we decided to jump on..totally forgetting that we hadn't put our clothes back on. The driver had no problem letting me and my younger dd on, but he made my older dd put on a shirt before boarding the bus :o .

Funny! Hmm . . .so, I'm assuming that as long as your bathing suit was covered up you are okay??? Did you see people doing organized tours with swim cover-ups?? Or, were they in more regular street clothes???

I wouldn't count on that always being the case, more of an unusual occurrance to let you on in your swimsuits. Depends on the driver and a few can be testy or at least sticklers for following the rules.

Funny! Hmm . . .so, I'm assuming that as long as your bathing suit was covered up you are okay??? Did you see people doing organized tours with swim cover-ups?? Or, were they in more regular street clothes???

Depends on what the cover-up looks like, I guess. Some of them look appropriate only for the beach and pool. I usually just wear a top and shorts over my swimsuit and put them back on over my suit when it's dry, which is not carrying anything extra. I also have a cotton dress that is street clothes-y looking I use as a cover-up.

I also have been wondering about the dress code as I read the "fun facts" about Bermuda. I happen to favor the Bermuda length shorts myself, however, my 18 and 20 year old daughters do not own such things! I assume that they will be OK sightseeing in their usual shorts. They are not so short as they would offend anyone, believe me! I don't see how they would have any American tourists under the age of 50 otherwise!

I also have been wondering about the dress code as I read the "fun facts" about Bermuda. I happen to favor the Bermuda length shorts myself, however, my 18 and 20 year old daughters do not own such things! I assume that they will be OK sightseeing in their usual shorts. They are not so short as they would offend anyone, believe me! I don't see how they would have any American tourists under the age of 50 otherwise!

They'll be just fine in their usual shorts - most of the young girls that live here don't go around in Bermuda length shorts either, especially when it's really hot outside. Rule here is as long as your swimsuit is covered up and the men aren't shirtless when you are off the beach, you'll be just fine.

Thanks sousak78 for your help! Can I ask specifically -- what about a sundress type cover up that covers your swim suit except for some of the shoulder straps showing?? Does that make sense??

Thanks again for the help!

mom4travel - your sundress will be just fine. I actually own that style of sundress myself so I know exactly what you are talking about. I actually bought it here in one of the souvenir shops!

GREAT! Thanks for the resonpse -- now, one less thing to think/worry about! Looking forward to my visit! :)

Archived