Boston Pier

We are going to be in Boston on October 5th on the Crown Princess. Is there anything to see or do within walking distance of the pier? We are taking one excursion in the morning but do we need to take something else in the afternoon?

I live in a suburb of Boston and there is really very little near the pier. You could do walk part of the Freedom Trail, visit Fanueil Hall to shop, take a duck tour, walk through the Boston Common, have a wonderful lunch in the North End or take a ride on the Swan Boats in the Public Gardens. If you want to do something that is inside, Boston has wonderful museums: Museum of Fine Arts, the Science Museum and the Boston Aquarium. Boston is a great historical city that is quite walkable. Boston also has a decent subway system called the T.

We are going to be in Boston on October 5th on the Crown Princess. Is there anything to see or do within walking distance of the pier? We are taking one excursion in the morning but do we need to take something else in the afternoon?

Wife and I are on this same cruise. We plan on maybe doing an excursion in am then get dropped off at Quincy market, doing some walking and shopping then grab a cab back to the ship.

The Boston Pier is quite removed from town. Nothing really there to do.

I think there may be a bus that can take you into town that's only a few blocks away. Here's a link to the MBTA (bus and subway authority).

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/bus/routes/?route=SL2 I think this might be the route you want, but, someone more familiar with the area may have better information.

RKMJDJ has a great idea. There are usually plenty of cabs around Quincy Market, and that area is fairly central to a lot of the tourist attractions. Just make sure to leave yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship in case you run into rush hour, when cabs can be difficult to find.

Just one word of warning...:D...Bostonians have a very different concept of what's a "walkable distance" than I did. So take care when asking directions....

We just cruised to Boston last month. Not realistic to walk from the pier. We thought about trying, but I'm glad we didn't. We took a cab from the pier to Boston Common--$9.60 plus tip. We walked a good bit of the Freedom Trail. We also took the Old Town Trolley Tour. The trolley tour was nice and allowed us to cover quite abit of ground in a short amount of time and get off when we wanted. Trolley didn't start until 9:00(boat was docked at 7:00), but there is a stop near the cruise ship terminal. We elected to tour the Freedom Trail for an hour and a half(got a head start) instead of waiting until 9:00 for trolley to run. Well worth the cab fare to maximize time if your ship is an early arrival!! We picked up the trolley near Fanuiel Hall and eventually worked our way back to the ship(trolley took us back to the pier). They run an extra loop(stops 16, 17, and 18) on cruise ship days.

Archived