Alaska - which ship?

neo99

I was checking on an Alaskan cruise for next year and see the Golden Princess and Sapphire Princess both do Alaska. Which one is better for a first time Alaska cruise?

EDIT:

Golden does Glacier Bay

Sapphire does Tracy Arm Fjord

I was checking on an Alaskan cruise for next year and see the Golden Princess and Sapphire Princess both do Alaska. Which one is better for a first time Alaska cruise?

EDIT:

Golden does Glacier Bay

Sapphire does Tracy Arm Fjord

The ships are pretty much the same; but, I would choose Glacier Bay over Tracy Arm any day of the week.

I would base my decision primarily based on the itinerary rather than the ship. They are both nice ships but particularly for Alaska, you need to consider the route, port times, and scenic cruising areas. When I did all of my comparisons, I decided that a one way (we opted for northbound) from Vancouver to Anchorage was best. Reasons: 1) it sailed on the EAST side of Vancouver Island which is calmer and much more scenic in my opinion, 2) I liked the port times better than a southbound sailing, 3) it went to Glacier Bay AND Prince William Sound ( not possible with a roundtrip Seattle or roundtrip Vancouver cruise), 4) the timing for the Prince William Sound scenic cruising was better than for a southbound cruise, 5) it allowed for a post-cruise land trip on our own which I really think is a must. The interior of Alaska is so much different than what you see on a cruise. Hope this helps! Also, check out the "Alaska" forum under Ports of Call on the main page.

Thanks for the replies...but, I wasn't asking about the ships. I've been on the Golden and know the Sapphire is much different. I was asking which one was better since they both did two different sailings in Alaska. That's what I meant and why I put that Golden does Glacier Bay and Sapphire does Tracy Arm. Also, I'm not looking for a one-way cruise or I would have added those ships.

Thanks again...

Why is Glacier Bay better than Tracy Arm?

Glacier Bay is the place to see glaciers up quite close. And you get to see several of them. There's also a lot of wildlife like whales and sea otters. It's a national park for a very good reason!

Don't get me wrong. Tracy Arm is nice, but it's not the place to see glaciers. Usually the icebergs are quite bad, so the ship can't get in too far to see the glaciers. So if you see them, they are often very far away. It is a beautiful, deep fjord with tall cliffs and quite narrow in places, so it is worth seeing. But given the choice for your first visit, I'd recommend Glacier Bay. It really represents Alaska. If you go more than once, definatlely try to catch Tracy Arm the next time to see something different.

I would choose the Golden Princess everyday of the week and twice on Sunday! I have been on both ships and I much prefer the Golden with the International Cafe to the Sapphire Princess well without the International Cafe. One of my favorite part of the cruise was sitting in the Piazza with my mom playing cards and trying all the different desserts in the international cafe and the sandwiches, salads and soups were so good!

Archived