Major/Minor Tom Cave Tubing

kimber814

A question for everyone that has done this tour. I have been reading reviews and some of them mention having to wait for the zip-liners....Is this always the case? We want to do cave tubing ONLY and I really don't want to sit around and wait for others to do their zip-line.

We are booked with Major/Minor Tom for August...but I am having 2nd thoughts....Will I have to wait?

Are there tour operators that just do cave tubing so I won't have to wait for the zip-liners? Or is this something I am going to have to deal with no matter who I choose?

Any suggestions welcome.

TIA!

Kim

Wow, I guess it's not just us cruisers that read these boards...About an hour or so after I posted this question, I rec'd this response from Major Tom...

Hi Kim,

Saw your post on CC - excellent question - we do get that question many times.

We organize the tour in such a way that while cave tubers are actually finished and preparing to leave, the zipliners are just about coming out of the river. Delay time must be minimal - or else, we put the cave tubers in another vehicle and see them off and back to the dock (shopping, etc.).

We try hard NOT to have waiting time between groups.

Lunch is also offered (if booked) after coming out of the water, at the park, on lunch tables.

At times, we send off groups with lunch and drinks on board the bus, on the way - on board party time !!!

Hope this sets your mind at ease?

E-mail me if there are any more questions.

Regards, Major Tom

We used MT a couple years ago and they were phenom!! Mikey - man, that dude had MORE information about the area...WOW! We are returning in a couple weeks, and this time with a couple of kids - we have NOT YET DECIDED what to do, though... But if we do cave tube - MT has MY VOTE!!

We just went cave tubing with Major Tom last Wednesday July 1, 2010. I cannot praise them enough. There were only 28 people in our group and we were treated great.

Our main guide was Mogley (like in "Jungle Book"). He is a 20 year old native and was absolutely fantastic. My 6 year old daughter followed him around like a puppy dog and he was great with her too. He made the bus ride seem short with his stories and information about the island and it's history.

In the rain forest Mogley taught us about all of the different plants and we even ate termites...well, my son, daughter, and I did; my wife passed...lol. They tasted like little crunchy mints, believe it or not.

We were there two days after tropical storm Alex was there and the river was a little high and fast so Mogley actually took us through two cave systems rather than one so that we didn't get cheated by how quickly the water was moving with a shorter float.

After the float, Mogley took us to a spot where any of who wanted could jump off of a small bluff into the water. Even my six year old jumped and it was a blast.

Afterwards on the way back, we stopped at a local grocery where we could buy a local beer if we chose to for the ride back.

The whole experience was fantastic from beginning to end.

Some of our friends that we met on the ship booked their cave tubing through Carnival and they said that they felt as if they were hearded like cattle, only did one cave and they paid twice as much.

As to your original question: Yes, we did have to wait a few minutes for the zip liners to finish but we took showers, changed into some dry clothes, and ate. By the time we finished eating we waited maybe 10 minutes. We got back to port in plenty of time.

Have a blast and have no worries about Major and Minor Tom's Cave Tubing. You'll love it!

Archived