Ship left now what?????

KROBI

[quote name='Marie51']And I have stood on my balcony and watched people running for the ship as it was pulling away from port.[/QUOTE]

that is one of our favorite parts of cruising.

[quote name='Marie51']And I have stood on my balcony and watched people running for the ship as it was pulling away from port.[/quote]

Now, not that I would consider doing this, but what if you dove into the water right off the dock and feigned drowning? Would the cruise ship "have" to stop and fish you out?

Undoubtedly you'd get in trouble, but still.

[quote name='KROBI']I will be taking my first cruise this December. If you are on a tour, not booked through Carnival, and the ship leaves before you get back,what do you do?????:confused:[/quote]

Arrive back on time then you don't have to worry about it

[quote name='snydermann']Now, not that I would consider doing this, but what if you dove into the water right off the dock and feigned drowning? Would the cruise ship "have" to stop and fish you out?

Undoubtedly you'd get in trouble, but still.[/quote]

Probably the dock workers would be taking pics of you on their cell phones while they were cracking up and pointing at the fool in the water. One of them might, not likely, but might think to call someone since he has his cell in his hand. But, most likely some old fisherPERSON would row out in a really stinky, but leaky, boat and hit you with a oar!:eek::D:D

[quote name='Host Mach'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]You are on your own to make it to the next port of call for your vessel.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#2e8b57]This past February several people, who were having just a bit too much fun in Progreso, got left behind. Fortunately for them the Carnival Triumph was in port headed to Cozumel the next day... the same port of call we were headed to. They were able to board the Triumph and meet up with our ship in Cozumel. That, however, is an exceptional event.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#2e8b57];)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/quote]
The same thing happened to a couple on the March 29th sailing of Ecstasy. They didn't make it back to the ship in time when we left Progresso. They were able to get on Triumph and catch up with us in Cozumel.

OMG!!!!! I had EXACTLY the same thing happen to me in Costa Maya a few years back!

Makes for a funny story now but the stress of it all I can still do without!

Stacy

hahah, going to be in Costa Maya on the Dream in Sept. The shops must be good....

note to self...have bf blindfold me on the way to and back from Maya Chan..

To me, that is the highlight of any port call to Nassau...

Watching the balloon-hatted partiers ambling down the pier trying to make it to the ship on time. Extra points to those with alcohol diminished motor skills or beer-induced "[I]That ship better not leave with out me[/I]" attitudes!

If only the ship sold water balloon supplies to the passengers who have a differing opinion of these people holding up the departure. ;)

[quote name='missouri01']As others have said tour operators don't want you to miss the boat. I asked the driver on one excursion what would happen. He said the owner of the company would make him pay for our travel to catch up with the boat.[/quote]

Shirley, please don't say you believed that!:D

My granddaughter asked me a good question. If the boat leaves someone on an island and the next week it comes back to the same island would they let you ride home on the boat? I understand someone else would be in your room but could you ride the boat home and sleep on a couch in the lobby?

[quote name='steelerfan27']My granddaughter asked me a good question. If the boat leaves someone on an island and the next week it comes back to the same island would they let you ride home on the boat? I understand someone else would be in your room but could you ride the boat home and sleep on a couch in the lobby?[/quote]

I already asked that question in this thread . . . twice.:)

We were on HAL in Alaska a couple of weeks ago and almost every port, the ship left early (guess everyone was there early). In Ketchikan they had a LONG line boarding at the latest time so the ship was actually a little late leaving port. We left 6 people standing on the dock with the ship no more than a foot from the pier INCLUDING the ship's piano player!! :eek: Some of the officers told us that Captn. would have left his own mother standing there.

Instead of allowing them to board via boat, they sent their passports back with the pilot boat because our next stop was Canada. They had to spend the night in Ketchikan, fly to Seattle and then fly to Victoria to board the ship some 8 hours before we disembarked in Seattle. Cost them $1200 each. Some chose to fly on home and the ship packed up their things and sent them to their homes (at the passengers expense I'm sure).

I've seen people left at many many ports in the Caribbean, Europe and now Alaska. We never ever take ship tours and we never ever get off the ship without our passports and credit cards.

[quote name='snydermann']I already asked that question in this thread . . . twice.:)[/quote]

or maybe this a good question for that cruise director that has the blog website. I think his name is John Harold. Does anyone have the underline thing I can click to get to his blog website to ask John this question?

[quote name='LRene']Underling thing....I love it! LOL Pretty sure the answer will be absolutely NO, you can not catch the ship the next week

John Heald

[URL]http://johnhealdsblog.com/[/URL][/quote]

Thank you Lezlee you're a dear. I will write to Mr. John Heald tomorrow if I can get on the computer. We may be going on an outing since my granddaughters will be off from school for the weekend. Otherwise maybe I will write to him on Monday when I get back on the computer.

[quote name='LRene']
I've seen people left at many many ports in the Caribbean, Europe and now Alaska. We never ever take ship tours and we never ever get off the ship without our passports and credit cards.[/quote]

Hopefully you don't take ALL of your credit cards. What if they are lost are stolen and your passports (I assume 1 pp) are not? What would you do in the next port?

I [B]never [/B]take my passport of the ship unless required to do so by law - not many ports require.

At least once that I recall, we were required to turn our passports into the purser - something to do with we were porting in Greece and then Turkey or something like that and there is always a little tension between the two. Those that refused had the privilege of staying on the ship in at least one of the ports.

[quote name='steelerfan27']Thank you Lezlee you're a dear. I will write to Mr. John Heald tomorrow if I can get on the computer. We may be going on an outing since my granddaughters will be off from school for the weekend. Otherwise maybe I will write to him on Monday when I get back on the computer.[/quote]

I think the proper way to ask would be "Has It Ever Been Done?", not is it possible. I'm sure Carnival does not want people to think it is commonly done and certainly not to depend on it.

This sounds crazy to me. A cruise ship isn't a ferry where you simply catch the next one. Most ships sail full and they even have trouble when they have to displace someone when there is a problem with a cabin. Try asking your ship if you can move your cabin once you show up at the pier and they will most likely say "sorry but we are sailing full and there are no available cabins" so the thought of staying behind and catching next weeks ship sounds crazy to me. If you want to stay in a port, then fly there.:rolleyes:

Archived