Help! Using Cash for Sign&Sail. How does it work??

lilybug23

My husband and I plan on using cash instead of a credit card when we set up our sign&sail account. Has anyone else done this? Could you tell me how it works please! Thank you in advance! :)

You simply go to the pursers desk after boarding.... put up say $150.00 per passenger or more.... as you charge, the funds you have deposited reduce and when get too low, you will be asked to replenish the bucket to be able to continue to charge. If you have funds remaining still at the end of the cruise, they will have a check prepared and slid under your stateroom door for the excess funds not used.

My husband and I plan on using cash instead of a credit card when we set up our sign&sail account. Has anyone else done this? Could you tell me how it works please! Thank you in advance! :)

i do this all the time. You put the amount you want on the S&S card at the pursers desk (you have to cover atleast the tips though, unless prepaid). then at the end of the cruise whatever money you have left on the card they give you a check for that amount & you can cash that at the pursers desk. You can also add more through out your cruise if needed.

You can also do this in advance but not less than two weeks before your cruise. Call Carnival at 800-906-7603 and tell them you would like to add some money as OBC. They'll take a credit or debit card.

You'll be emailed receipt for the fund and they will be available upon boarding... generally. I normally drop by Guest Services and put an extra hundred dollars or so on my account when I activate it.

:)

Can cash be put down at check in when they usually ask for your credit card? or Do you have to go to the purser's desk once on board? I'm guessing if it's the latter that there would be quite a line and in would take a while.

Can cash be put down at check in when they usually ask for your credit card? or Do you have to go to the purser's desk once on board? I'm guessing if it's the latter that there would be quite a line and in would take a while.

In Miami, you go into a separate line to add cash before getting on the ship.

During check when they ask how you would like to secure your on board account tell them cash. Once onboard go to the Guest Services desk (Purser for those of us who have been cruising for more than a year or so...) and add whatever amount to your account.

We go to the purser's desk after we board. I also close my S&S the night before debarkation right before I go to bed, that way I can get cash instead of a check.

That certainly works but you can also take the check that's issued to you to the Purser's Desk to cash it.

That certainly works but you can also take the check that's issued to you to the Purser's Desk to cash it.

True, but then you have to stand in line with all those other folks doing that plus the one that have issues with their account. I try to stay as far away from the Pursers desk as possible the last morning of the cruise. Usually the longest lines of the entire cruise occur at that time.

If you dont plan on buying anything the last morning, its so much easier to close out a cash account the final night before going to bed.

True, but then you have to stand in line with all those other folks doing that plus the one that have issues with their account. I try to stay as far away from the Pursers desk as possible the last morning of the cruise. Usually the longest lines of the entire cruise occur at that time.

If you dont plan on buying anything the last morning, its so much easier to close out a cash account the final night before going to bed.

Sadly, I sleep very little so I'm normally down there around 4:30 or 5. It's very quiet that at that time before debark...

Thank you to everyone for your responses! They helped greatly!! I think I will do what Host Mach suggested, but i will have to do it tomorrow as I sail on the 24th. I am gonig to call and put the money on there as OBC. That was a great idea! Thank you! :D

In Galveston, we have had to stand in the "cash only" check in line to put cash on our account before we could even board. There was literally three cashiers doing cash and 37 doing credit card checkins. So for my next cruise in 2 days, we put a credit card on our Funpass and will switch to cash once we board so we dont have to stand in the cash line at the port.

In Galveston, we have had to stand in the "cash only" check in line to put cash on our account before we could even board. There was literally three cashiers doing cash and 37 doing credit card checkins. So for my next cruise in 2 days, we put a credit card on our Funpass and will switch to cash once we board so we dont have to stand in the cash line at the port.

So if the grat's are pre-paid and want to use cash once on board, and DO NOT want the card I have on file charged, do I just leave it there until I get on board and then change it? Will they swipe the card? The last time I did this, I gave them cash AND they ran my card! I was in essance being chaged twice for my grat's until the last day of the cruise when they fianlly released my card. So now I am kinda leary of doing both again, but I dont want to keep my friends waiting while I deal with the "cash only" line in Miami. When I quetioned a CSR recently about this, I was told I could use cash but not a pre - paid debit card. I just dont want them accessing all my money like they did last time.

So if the grat's are pre-paid and want to use cash once on board, and DO NOT want the card I have on file charged, do I just leave it there until I get on board and then change it? Will they swipe the card? The last time I did this, I gave them cash AND they ran my card! I was in essance being chaged twice for my grat's until the last day of the cruise when they fianlly released my card. So now I am kinda leary of doing both again, but I dont want to keep my friends waiting while I deal with the "cash only" line in Miami. When I quetioned a CSR recently about this, I was told I could use cash but not a pre - paid debit card. I just dont want them accessing all my money like they did last time.

During the check in process tell them that you do NOT want to use the credit card that you added the last 4 four, that you would rather use cash.

They don't have the full card number on file so they can't run your card.

I'm not sure if they will put a hold on your credit card or not if you go through the credit card check in line. I just know I do not want to stand in that long cash only line on Sunday because I need to get on board and immediately book my "behind the fun" tour. Once I get on board I plan to go to the purser and change from credit card to cash and make sure they know to remove the credit card from my account, which may or may not release the hold.

Sorry I know this post didn't really help you any. You might call Carnival customer service and ask them. As a matter of fact, I think I will call my PVP...

I called my pvp and she said that yes they WILL put a hold of at least $250 on the credit card at check in and it is up to your bank as to how long they will leave the hold on your credit card.

We recently did this with no problem. (Fantasy out of Charleston,SC) We went to the pursers desk and there was absolutely no line when we boarded at 11:45am. We put our money on each of our cards and up to lido and were able to use them right away for our first DOD. :)

On the last night we got a check for $19 and some change. The next day we went up to the pursers desk (there never was a line...maybe we are just lucky) and asked if he could cash it. He hesitated a bit and asked how much it was for. He agreed after we told him the total. Not sure if they have a limit to the amount they can cash or are just hesitant to do so. :rolleyes:

During the check in process tell them that you do NOT want to use the credit card that you added the last 4 four, that you would rather use cash.

They don't have the full card number on file so they can't run your card.

I'm not sure about where she is sailing from, but Galveston has separate lines for cash and credit cards. The credit card lines will NOT accept any cash. They are not set up to do so as they dont have tills or money to make change, etc. You must go through the "cash" line to switch to cash. So in theory, she could stand in the credit card line as suggested above but then get sent to the back of the cash line once she gets up there, I've seen it happen!

But if each cashier/check in staff is set up for cash or credit card, then that would definitely work.

I'm not sure about where she is sailing from, but Galveston has separate lines for cash and credit cards. The credit card lines will NOT accept any cash. They are not set up to do so as they dont have tills or money to make change, etc. You must go through the "cash" line to switch to cash. So in theory, she could stand in the credit card line as suggested above but then get sent to the back of the cash line once she gets up there, I've seen it happen!

But if each cashier/check in staff is set up for cash or credit card, then that would definitely work.

It's been a bit since you sailed from Galveston. My past several cruises have been from there, most recently February and there were no cash only lines... With the exception of VIPs all the lines were the same.

It's been a bit since you sailed from Galveston. My past several cruises have been from there, most recently February and there were no cash only lines... With the exception of VIPs all the lines were the same.

Yep. 2 years to be exact. So if there is no more cash/credit card lines I will be THRILLED beyond belief! Thank you for your response! You're always so kind and responsive, I look forward to reading your posts. (and knowledgeable too!)

We normally use cash for our S&S card. We could not pay it when we checked in at the port and had to wait until we got on the ship - but went to the Pursers desk as soon as we got on board. Never have had more than a couple of minutes wait - as we usually get on the ship pretty early.

In fact, you do have up to 24 hours to make the deposit - so if there is a line, you can wait a little while. Personally, I think waiting will give you MORE of a line - so my advice is to head straight there.

On the Dream in May, we stopped and ordered our first drinks at the bar as we entered the Atrium - and THEN we went to the Pursers Desk. No problems at all.

I'm cruising with a friend, how do I set up separate s&s accounts for the same cabin? one will be using a credit card and one cash. Can this be done prior to cruising?

Thanks in advance!

Tammye

I'm cruising with a friend, how do I set up separate s&s accounts for the same cabin? one will be using a credit card and one cash. Can this be done prior to cruising?

Thanks in advance!

Tammye

When each person fills out the information for the Fun Pass they will indicate the method to be used for funding the Sail & Sign account.

Have no fear... unless both accounts are on the same card or linked to the same cash deposit y'all will be fine.

Archived