What happens when a docking is aborted?

mikeycanuk

While I've never cruised, when we stayed down in Mahahual on June 30/July 1 both ships aborted and I'm assuming headed for Cozumel. What happens then? Do you stay for 2 days in Coz or stay out in the gulf longer?

Just curious. Damm Alex, not only did I have to put up with the storm itself, it left crazy winds long after he had gone! No snorkeling and no shopping in town. No ships= dead town.

I was on the Oasis June 30th. It became a sea day for us. We arrived at Cozumel on Thursday morning as scheduled. Missing Costa Maya was a disappointment, but how could we be angry, you can't control Mother Nature.

While I've never cruised, when we stayed down in Mahahual on June 30/July 1 both ships aborted and I'm assuming headed for Cozumel. What happens then? Do you stay for 2 days in Coz or stay out in the gulf longer?

You'll get a day at sea. These port visits are scheduled well in advance and you just can't go willy-nilly from one to another, like you might with a private yacht or sailboat.

My two sailings with Oceania each missed one port.

The first was in Europe where the ship did not want to cross a "picket line" of protesting fishermen. The ship was able to proceed to Mont Carlo and we got an extra day there.

The second sailing was in the Caribbean where bad weather made it impossible to visit St Barths. The cruise line was able to substitute a day in St Thomas.

I just mention this to point out that a missed port does not always result in an extra sea day, although I am sure it does in the majority of cases. The Oceania ships only carry six to seven hundred passangers so I think that is what allows them to have a little more flexability in scheduling when unexpected problems arise.

Archived