Can't swim too well, Snorkelling ok?

vonster

Hi there, going to eastern carribean in September...

I can't swim too well...can only float here and there but not for continuous/long periods...would I be able to snorkel safely?

I saw videos/pictures and it seems that the water is rough and shallow...i tried scuba diving before with scratches and bruises on my legs from getting dragged by water current and hitting the corals..

thanks

I would make very sure to state your limitations up front when booking the excursion and before embarking on the excursion.

Some snorkeling occurs in areas where one could stand up if absolutely necessary (although standing on coral kills it and is thus to be avoided whenever possible). However, other snorkeling occurs in water far too deep to stand in.

Although snorkeling vests can keep you from sinking, nothing is foolproof so I would recommend erring on the side of caution. Even snorkeling shallow areas can be precarious with poor skills in the water as brushing up against coral can very easily result is scapes and cuts.

I am not sure what "can't swim too well" exactly means. In order to safely snorkel you really should be at least an average swimmer. You may be in water well over your head and quite a few yards from the boat at which point you would need to be able to return to the boat on your own power. Using a flotation device to overcome the inability to swim in a open environment is not a good idea.

You could snorkel from the shore where you could stay in water that is not too deep depending on your safety level. However you still need to be able to swim in case the need arises. You will be snorkeling in clear water and the bottom will be deeper than it appears. Be careful.

Hi there, going to eastern carribean in September...

I can't swim too well...can only float here and there but not for continuous/long periods...would I be able to snorkel safely?

I saw videos/pictures and it seems that the water is rough and shallow...i tried scuba diving before with scratches and bruises on my legs from getting dragged by water current and hitting the corals..

thanks

Are you open to learning how to swim? If so, you might be able to take some lessons before your trip so you feel more comfortable in the water. If you have a local YMCA with a pool they often offer classes as well as private lessons. And even after you feel like you have some basic strokes down and are on your trip, you can always ask for a "noodle" or an inflatable snorkeling vest to wear to give you a little extra comfort level.

Good luck and hope you have fun!

Francie

I am not sure what "can't swim too well" exactly means. In order to safely snorkel you really should be at least an average swimmer. You may be in water well over your head and quite a few yards from the boat at which point you would need to be able to return to the boat on your own power. Using a flotation device to overcome the inability to swim in a open environment is not a good idea.

You could snorkel from the shore where you could stay in water that is not too deep depending on your safety level. However you still need to be able to swim in case the need arises. You will be snorkeling in clear water and the bottom will be deeper than it appears. Be careful.

I've encountered very strong drift currents near shore.

AlthoughI recommend against any snorkeling for a "poor" swimmer, a boat snorkel would be safest.

At least you have a snorkel guide and/or boat captain looking after you.

I to would recommend an excursion rather than doing it on your own off the beach. Share your apprehension when booking, ask for a reccommendation for a tour with guides. In the marine parks there is always a guide because they don't want you to injure the coral.

Archived