Tipping....Hmmm

USNUZULOOSE

I frequent here and love all the info I can get. Even though I have only cruised 2 times, and nothing going in the future right now. But there seems to be alot of threads about tipping and what to tip, or removing tips.

I look at myself and ask if I worked on the ships and my regular wage was low, and people do not want to tip how would I feel? Maybe if we all stopped and asked ourselves this question maybe, just maybe we would think twice about the tipping issue and how much these folks really deserve the tips.

Now I am not saying really bad service does not deserve any tipping, I go places and do not tip for really bad service.

The times I have cruised I have watched the people who do the cleaning, anything else in my view that they really work hard to make your cruise as pleasing as possible. I am not flaming anyone, or trying to put anyone down, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

All I am saying is if we step into there shoes for one day we might all think a little differently.

So to all the crews on all the ships I commend you and thank you for the awesome service you provide everytime I came on board. And the cabin stewards whom we have enjoyed getting to know. Thanks

Thanks for reading and I guess I will put the flaming suit on. Jo

I never thought much about it, except having to do the math, segmenting the money out to my individuals, and making sure I didn't spend it before weeks end.

When they switched to auto tip, it was so much more convenient. I didn't have to worry about the cash, plus I got my cash rebate on that amount on my credit card.

Flaming just means that some one does not agree with my opinion and you hear about it. I do tip extra. I think about how many hours these folks work and how some people really never take the time to notice the little things. I just know I appreciate them. I really like out waiter in the dining room, he was so excited to go to a different port, and he chose to go out and enjoy the weather instead of sleeping. I saw how many hats he wore during his long shift. In my opionion they deserve so much more, because I could not work that many hours.

Flaming just means that some one does not agree with my opinion and you hear about it. I do tip extra. I think about how many hours these folks work and how some people really never take the time to notice the little things. I just know I appreciate them. I really like out waiter in the dining room, he was so excited to go to a different port, and he chose to go out and enjoy the weather instead of sleeping. I saw how many hats he wore during his long shift. In my opionion they deserve so much more, because I could not work that many hours.

I don't think you have to worry about that here. These are lovely people.

If we have the same server every night, and I have never had to ask for iced tea and extra butter after the first time i asked for it, or the waiter brings my husband an extra lobster tail because he has seen he has a big appetite, then we give extra tips to the busboy and waiter at the end.

If the maitre d has to change our table or do anything special for us other than just show up at the table on tip night, then he gets an extra tip.

if i see the cabin steward smiling at me in the hallway, and then he is pretty much invisible except when i want something....yet somehow manages to make up our cabin perfectly every time we leave before we come back, then he gets an extra tip.

the amount can be anywhere from an extra $10.00 to an extra $25.00, depending on who and what they did.

Oh hai

I think you're a real kidder just like that Mr. Pete! :D Have you met Mr. Pete. He's a real peach I think you'd like him. :) I was telling my daughter-in-law about all my new friends during dinner and she told me what myob means. The Lemure Cat was right.:(But I know you were probably just having a bad day and I am slow to anger and quick to forgive. :)

Someone told me about a tipping guide on one of the letters here but now I can't find it. :mad:

I hate to ask but can anyone help me find it? :o

I completely agree. I've often said everyone should have to spend a year or two early in their careers both waiting tables and in retail. Gives you a whole new perspective on things. It's a crappy feeling to know you are busting your rear waiting on someone hand and foot but you are dependent on their whims for your salary. It's a crappy system but the same as here at home where waitstaff only makes $2.50 or $3.00 and hour. Sure, there are plenty of waiters who make very good money doing it or they wouldn't do the job. But I also had many a night in that profession wondering how I was going to pay my rent while I worked in a place with a clientele that tended towards treating you like dirt and then not tipping at all or leaving a dollar or two.

I completely agree. I've often said everyone should have to spend a year or two early in their careers both waiting tables and in retail. Gives you a whole new perspective on things. It's a crappy feeling to know you are busting your rear waiting on someone hand and foot but you are dependent on their whims for your salary. It's a crappy system but the same as here at home where waitstaff only makes $2.50 or $3.00 and hour. Sure, there are plenty of waiters who make very good money doing it or they wouldn't do the job. But I also had many a night in that profession wondering how I was going to pay my rent while I worked in a place with a clientele that tended towards treating you like dirt and then not tipping at all or leaving a dollar or two.

Tell them to move to Oregon. Waiters/Waitresses get minimum wage ($8.40 an hour), plus tips. By the way, the average waiter/waitress on a Carnival ship takes home more than $3,000 a month, tax free, and gets room, board, and medical benefits. It may not be the best pay on the planet, but it is by no means the worst.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. Where's my popcorn?

Tell them to move to Oregon. Waiters/Waitresses get minimum wage ($8.40 an hour), plus tips. By the way, the average waiter/waitress on a Carnival ship takes home more than $3,000 a month, tax free, and gets room, board, and medical benefits. It may not be the best pay on the planet, but it is by no means the worst.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. Where's my popcorn?

No, they wouldn't do it if it were the worst pay. It just gives you a different perspective on things when you've lived with your income being completely dependent on whether other people decide to tip you or not. You also learn that people can be incredibly picky and rude for no reason. Others are wonderful.

Very few states do what Oregon does. I always made $2.12 an hour out of which taxes were taken - even on "estimated" tips based on sales - whether I actually made the money or not. This was when minimum wage was more than double that. I often got paychecks for two weeks stamped "void" or for silly amounts like 26 cents.

If we have the same server every night, and I have never had to ask for iced tea and extra butter after the first time i asked for it, or the waiter brings my husband an extra lobster tail because he has seen he has a big appetite, then we give extra tips to the busboy and waiter at the end.

If the maitre d has to change our table or do anything special for us other than just show up at the table on tip night, then he gets an extra tip.

if i see the cabin steward smiling at me in the hallway, and then he is pretty much invisible except when i want something....yet somehow manages to make up our cabin perfectly every time we leave before we come back, then he gets an extra tip.

the amount can be anywhere from an extra $10.00 to an extra $25.00, depending on who and what they did.

very well said...touche:)

By the way, the average waiter/waitress on a Carnival ship takes home more than $3,000 a month, tax free, and gets room, board, and medical benefits. It may not be the best pay on the planet, but it is by no means the worst.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. Where's my popcorn?

Wow! They make a lot more money then i do per month almost $2000 more. In their country they would be considered rich.

ok i keep hearing how they only make a lil bit of money. How did you get this info

Wow! They make a lot more money then i do per month almost $2000 more. In their country they would be considered rich.

ok i keep hearing how they only make a lil bit of money. How did you get this info

Please remember that they work 12 to 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, 6 to 7 months in a row. I don't know many Americans that are willing to work that hard for that pay. They earn what they make.

Pat

Tipping is a way of life in the USA. My DH and I are 20%ers, typically for a meal out. We both worked for tips in NYC, to put ourselves through school and follow dreams. It is not easy sometimes to wait on the public. The small amount of $$ paid to hard working people - is worth every penny. Some people have difficulty paying all the tips per couple perhaps because they did not realize or budget properly. That is why we put a little extra in the envelopes to help make up for shortage.

No worries - you are on vacation - do what you can afford! ;)

I frequent here and love all the info I can get. Even though I have only cruised 2 times, and nothing going in the future right now. But there seems to be alot of threads about tipping and what to tip, or removing tips.

I look at myself and ask if I worked on the ships and my regular wage was low, and people do not want to tip how would I feel? Maybe if we all stopped and asked ourselves this question maybe, just maybe we would think twice about the tipping issue and how much these folks really deserve the tips.

Now I am not saying really bad service does not deserve any tipping, I go places and do not tip for really bad service.

The times I have cruised I have watched the people who do the cleaning, anything else in my view that they really work hard to make your cruise as pleasing as possible. I am not flaming anyone, or trying to put anyone down, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

All I am saying is if we step into there shoes for one day we might all think a little differently.

So to all the crews on all the ships I commend you and thank you for the awesome service you provide everytime I came on board. And the cabin stewards whom we have enjoyed getting to know. Thanks

Thanks for reading and I guess I will put the flaming suit on. Jo

The cheapos don't put themselves in anybody elses's shoes.

They buy cheap shoes anyway.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. Where's my popcorn?

And a couple filing jointly with an income of $75,000.00 owes Oregon $6324.00 in state income taxes. 8.4%! Or as we say here, "That's 3.3 CRUISES, are they NUTS???":D:eek::D

Wonder if that relates to the $8.40 minimum wage. Probably just a coincidence.

And Florida has a state debt of $9.7 Billion and NO income tax.

While Oregon has a state debt of $8 Billion with an income tax.

Populations, Fl. 18.5 million. Oregon less than 4 million.

And I thought Fl. was screwed up.

They are paid a small amount by Carnival. ($70 per month plus room and board) The extra comes from the tips they earn.

When you consider that in many of the countries the workers come from, the min wage is around $50 a month for 6-7 12 hr days, their job is not so bad.

The ones who go on and on about they deserve so much more are basing that on what one would expect to make in the US. Those people do not live in the US.

I just laugh when everyone talks about how hard they work. I liken their duties to the nursing assistants I have worked with. Most of them fine people. 3 assistants on the floor. 2 are "busy" from the minute they hit the floor until they leave. The other is usually reading a magazine and getting to answer the call lights because the other two were "busy". When I really started watching the "busy" workers, I noticed they were doing the same things over and over. (folding a towel) Not really getting anything done. Everyone talked about how "hard" they worked. The one that reads a magazine seeming most of the day's work was complete. You rarely found anything she missed. I asked her how she had so much extra time. She said there really is not that much work if you just do it and don't play around.

I tip as much as I can.

I always wish it was more.

I try to make up for it with a comment card that specifically names each steward/waiter/asst waiter/Maitre 'D and what they did to make my cruise special.

One time it was the guy from engineering who worked in the night to unstop our shower drain clog.

Information comes from $elling the $ea, by Bob Dickinson, former president of Carnival Cruiseline.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

And a couple filing jointly with an income of $75,000.00 owes Oregon $6324.00 in state income taxes. 8.4%! Or as we say here, "That's 3.3 CRUISES, are they NUTS???":D:eek::D

Wonder if that relates to the $8.40 minimum wage. Probably just a coincidence.

And Florida has a state debt of $9.7 Billion and NO income tax.

While Oregon has a state debt of $8 Billion with an income tax.

Populations, Fl. 18.5 million. Oregon less than 4 million.

And I thought Fl. was screwed up.

You Floridians make it up in sales tax--that's something we don't have in Oregon. :)

Archived