Visby on our own/no tour

Has anyone done this? Our Baltic cruise is so port intensive that I'm thinking we will need a laid back day. I understand that due to lack of a cruise port, passengers are tendered in. How far is the old town from the tender dock and is anything of interest within walking distance? I'd love to see the Botanical Gardens and the old town but don't know how long a trek it is from where we get off the boats. Any advice or info would be welcomed....maybe recommend a restaurant within walkng distance that serves lamb (will put husband in heaven, but not me;).

We're just back from our Baltic/St.P cruise last week. We did Visby on our own. It's easy to do. The day we arrived was the Midsummer Festival, a big holiday in Sweden! Most everything was closed. We went to see the ruins of a very old church (1200) and inside another near the town square. There are a lot of restaurants there and several street booths selling handmade jewelry, etc. (I found some great rings there). There was a parade so we followed it to the park where several families (the entire town) had already gathered. It was a lovely day. Children made garlands in their hair and they danced and sang (in Swedish) around a pole similar to a May Day pole. From there, we walked through the Botanical Garden, past the university and returned to the tender. All the museums were closed that day. There are lots of cobblestone streets to explore/walk. It was a laid back day. Many people come here for a vacation as their second homes are here.

Has anyone done this? Our Baltic cruise is so port intensive that I'm thinking we will need a laid back day. I understand that due to lack of a cruise port, passengers are tendered in. How far is the old town from the tender dock and is anything of interest within walking distance? I'd love to see the Botanical Gardens and the old town but don't know how long a trek it is from where we get off the boats. Any advice or info would be welcomed....maybe recommend a restaurant within walkng distance that serves lamb (will put husband in heaven, but not me;).

Get off the tender tun left past the yacht basin, the gardens are just beyond, 5-10 minutes tops. There are ruins in the gardens as well. Visby is magical, Visby is my favorite port on the Baltic itineraries and is very user friendly and walkable.

Thanks to both of you for your input! We had scheduled a ship's tour leaving at 8:30 AM and lasting 4 1/2 hrs. so we were thinking of doing a walking tour, as I said. Do either one of you know of a restaurant serving lamb around the vicinity of the gardens or forget the lamb, but recommend a good place to eat for lunch? I'm really glad both of you enjoyed Visby because it was not first on my list as a port to explore. You have now changed my mind!

Can't give you a name of a restaurant, but if you can find the town square where the street booths are, there are several restaurants there. I'll try to attach a picture. You'll recognize it by the concrete sheep/ram there. The square is also near the church and the ruins of St. Catherine's Church.

[ATTACH]161951[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]161959[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]161964[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]161965[/ATTACH]

DSC05291.jpg.7e0ab9e6d226d621755ed15381b67a10.jpg

Botanical garden:

[ATTACH]161960[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]161961[/ATTACH]

Remains of castle:

[ATTACH]161962[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]161963[/ATTACH]

Sorry, I have no idea why these pictures didn't come out. I saw them. If you email me at pawong@pacbell.net I will be happy to send you the pictures.

Archived