Avalon Seine river

stew300

Avalon Seine river cruise

We just returned from a cruise on the Avalon Creativity. It’s a very new ship and it has a great appearance. We found that the crew was really good—the restaurant staff couldn’t be better, the food was very good, and the wine flowed freely at dinner.

They usually had a choice of two tours available in the ports and the tour guides were very good.

Unfortunately the cabin did not work out as expected. When we arrived our nice cabin on the port side was facing a solid white wall. Because the ship would stay in Paris for the next day’s tours we had a solid white wall for the next day too. Then we found that the ship which would go the length of the Seine and return to Paris always put the port side against land which did not have the pleasant river view. At the port farthest from Paris the ship stayed for two days and once again we were up tightly against a wall. This time our view of the wall changed as the tide came in and out. (We could see different colored bricks as it moved up and down)

You can tell that we were very disappointed. If you decide on an Avalon Seine cruise be sure to get a cabin on the starboard side!!!

We also just returned from Avalon Creativity trip as part of Grand France Tour (with Avalon Scenery down Saone & Rhone). We much preferred the Seine section on the Creativity. I cant say I was as aware as the previous poster about the berthing. There seemed variation to me as sometimes the Captain turned the ship round on berthing. Sometimes we were double berthed against another ship too.

Anyway- by far the worst thing about the Creativity was the smell. It has been mentioned here before now by others but I didnt really believe them. On arrival at the boat in Paris we were met by a strong smell of diesel and sewage as we walked along to our cabin (224). This persisted. At times there were pulses of stink which receded a bit. The smell of sewage was also perceivable in the Dining Room that night. We mentioned it to the Cruise Director who was apologetic (but not surprised). A rather nasty air freshener plug in was provided in our cabin. The smell was discernable throughout the trip.

On looking at the design of the ship the air intake mechanisms are just above the engine exhaust vents. Bit surprising for a German designed vessel.

The Scenery is an almost identical vessel but a few years older. On examining it the exhausts were much further from the air intakes. Sometimes newer doesnt mean better!

Engine exhausts wouldn't give you a sewer smell [might kill ya though] . I was on the Tranquility in April and not a hint of stink. I was on the highest deck, but nothing in the dinning room either. However, a few years back I was on the Poetry and it had that smell that came and went. Mainly in the passageway.

We are traveling next week on the Affinity Vienna to Amsterdam,Will I expect the same sort of oder's? We are booked on the top deck will there still be an obstrution when we dock?

We were on the Creativity in April and had no odor problems at all. Sorry to hear that you had the issue ... our 'stateroom' was on the top level ... and I did talk to several people on the 2nd level and no one mentioned any problems at all.

Sewer smell mostly in port while discharging it I imagine. People who didnt experience it were very lucky. It was widely commented on on our trip. As I said the Scenery did not have this problem nor have any of the other river cruisers we`ve ever been on.

We just got used to it. The itinerary was lovely though and we much preferred it to the southern half of the Grand France.

Sewer smell mostly in port while discharging it I imagine. People who didnt experience it were very lucky. It was widely commented on on our trip. As I said the Scenery did not have this problem nor have any of the other river cruisers we`ve ever been on.

We just got used to it. The itinerary was lovely though and we much preferred it to the southern half of the Grand France.

I am researching into booking my first river cruise.

My interest is the cruise that goes to Burgundy / Provence.

Can you tell me what you did not like about the southern half of Grand France?

Thanks.

Nothing wrong with the Provence bit really. The temperature made it very hard work for us (40 degrees at times) Maybe if we`d done this trip in April it might have been more comfortable. I would say that the hotel in Nice for the last night was pretty awful. Especially after the comfort and the helpful staff of the Scenery. The Boscolo Plaza was back to earth with a bump!

We had thought that the Southern half of the trip would be best but the Seine cruise was delightful- impressionist paintings just came to life before our eyes as we sailed along. Dont discount it as a possibility, I reckon you`d really enjoy it.

Yikes, I keep hearing negative things about the Boscolo....what were the problems you ran into? We are booked there for two nights after our River Cruise.

Did you ask for a room change, did they honor it? Any info please I think we still have time to make a change.

J

Yikes, I keep hearing negative things about the Boscolo....what were the problems you ran into? We are booked there for two nights after our River Cruise.

Did you ask for a room change, did they honor it? Any info please I think we still have time to make a change.

J

Yes I asked for a room change. Think you should check the reviews on the Tripadvisor website. I did a review there under the same name as this. There are others also. It also has a ranked order of the nicest hotels to stay in in Nice- check it out.

As part of the Scenery cruise there is a very early start (cases outside cabind by 6.45) then a half day drive to Nice. We all arrived very hot & tired at 12ish & told not possible allocation of rooms till 3.00pm. The hall was full of tired fed up often elderly people waiting for the magic admission to, in our case, smelly damp rooms with non functioning air con & broken furniture etc etc etc. Really you need to check Tripadvisor.

Re the Scenery cruise they dont tell you about the early starts & no lunch or dinner being provided in Nice. Many go on the optional tour to Monaco (£85 per head) others fend for themselves. It wasnt a good end to our holiday - do the Creativity tour!! Smelly but picturesque!

• 9 months later...

....... Unfortunately the cabin did not work out as expected. When we arrived our nice cabin on the port side was facing a solid white wall. Because the ship would stay in Paris for the next day’s tours we had a solid white wall for the next day too. Then we found that the ship which would go the length of the Seine and return to Paris always put the port side against land which did not have the pleasant river view. At the port farthest from Paris the ship stayed for two days and once again we were up tightly against a wall. This time our view of the wall changed as the tide came in and out. (We could see different colored bricks as it moved up and down)

You can tell that we were very disappointed. If you decide on an Avalon Seine cruise be sure to get a cabin on the starboard side!!!

Good to know. Very helpful, really! Thank you for sharing this "wisdom". We're in the midst of planning this same cruise for 2012 (our first river cruise) and we are overwhelmed by choices.

We just returned from a cruise on the Avalon Creativity. It’s a very new ship and it has a great appearance. We found that the crew was really good—the restaurant staff couldn’t be better, the food was very good, and the wine flowed freely at dinner.

They usually had a choice of two tours available in the ports and the tour guides were very good.

Unfortunately the cabin did not work out as expected. When we arrived our nice cabin on the port side was facing a solid white wall. Because the ship would stay in Paris for the next day’s tours we had a solid white wall for the next day too. Then we found that the ship which would go the length of the Seine and return to Paris always put the port side against land which did not have the pleasant river view. At the port farthest from Paris the ship stayed for two days and once again we were up tightly against a wall. This time our view of the wall changed as the tide came in and out. (We could see different colored bricks as it moved up and down)

We are taking the Romantic Rhine cruise on Avalon. Should we choose port or starbird side?

Riviera Bound

Archived