3 Hours at Baths

ninefishes

Hi I need some help here for my planning. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Our cruise will be in Tortola from 7:30am to 3:45pm on a Wednesday. I checked Sppedy's ferry schedule - it seems that departing Tortola at 9am, and returning from Virgin Gorda at 12:30pm would be the best option for us.

My questions are:

1) How long does it take us to the ferry pier? From the reading of previous postings, I understand the walking is about 10-15 minutes. How about the disembarkation? Would we be able to catch the 9am ferry?

2) If we are able to catch the 9am ferry, it would leave us 3 hours to explore Baths. Would this be enough time?

3) Is it allowed to go to Virgin Gorda with Speedy, come back with Smiths? Or do we have to buy round trip tickets?

Thank you very much!

We were on the Carnival Freedom the week of June 19, and chose to do the Carnival excursion to the baths. We were taken by a large speed boat and the trip to the baths took about 30 minutes, so you will need to figure on 1 hour travel time. Not sure how fast the ferry would travel, but we went pretty fast. We loved the baths, and would have liked more time there. Once you make your way through the paths and boulders to the final beach it is about another 20 minute hike back to the top. We would have liked about another hour to relax in the water, and even tried snorkeling. The pool area at the top of the baths is also nice, along with a few shops. Once we explored it all, it just would have been nice to have some time to relax. Would love to go back again!! Have fun!:)

1) How long does it take us to the ferry pier? From the reading of previous postings, I understand the walking is about 10-15 minutes. How about the disembarkation? Would we be able to catch the 9am ferry?

15 minute walk, 5-10 minute by cab, depending on traffic.

You should be able to catch the 9am ferry, unless you are tendering or there is a problem/delayed disembarking.

2) If we are able to catch the 9am ferry, it would leave us 3 hours to explore Baths. Would this be enough time?

Yes, in my opinion.

3) Is it allowed to go to Virgin Gorda with Speedy, come back with Smiths? Or do we have to buy round trip tickets?

You can do one way with each.

Thank you very much!

See my comments above in red.

Hi I need some help here for my planning. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Our cruise will be in Tortola from 7:30am to 3:45pm on a Wednesday. I checked Sppedy's ferry schedule - it seems that departing Tortola at 9am, and returning from Virgin Gorda at 12:30pm would be the best option for us.

My questions are:

I would allow 20 minutes to walk to the ferry docks (unless you are fast walkers) - remember once you get there you might have to line up to get a ticket.

You should have no problem catching the 9AM ferry - disembarkation usually commences pretty promptly.

Ferry ride = 30-45 minutes arrive dock on VG at about 9:30-9:40

taxi ride to the Baths = 10 minutes - arrive Top of Baths at 10am

taxi ride back from the Baths = 10 minutes BUT you have to be back at the Top of the Baths to catch the taxi. to be sure to get the taxi on time, to get a ferry that leaves at 12:30, you should be waiting at the Top of the Baths NO LATER than 12:10 (12 would be better)

So in reality this leaves you about 1.5 - 2 hours to explore The Baths

Barely enough time to do it and not linger long.

Yes it is possible. You can buy one way tickets BUT be aware that

return tickets work out to be cheaper. However if maximizing your time at the Baths is a concern - then that may work better in terms of timing.

Smith's may actually be a better choice than Speedy's:

Tortola to VG sched:

Tortola to The Valley, Virgin Gorda

7:00 a.m.(RT)**

8:50 a.m. (RT) * Call for availability <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

10:00 a.m. (RT)* * * Not Available Sundays

12:30 p.m. (RT)

VIRGIN GORDA

DAILY SCHEDULED DEPARTURES

* Call for availablility

Virgin Gorda to Tortola

7:50 a.m.

10:15 a.m

1:00 p.m. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

2:15 p.m.

4:00 p.m. / 5:00 p.m.

6:00 p.m. (Monday-Friday Only)

Smith's website:

http://www.smithsferry.com/scheduleddepartures.php

Thank you very much, Zeno. Your post really gives me a clear picture about this whole trip. By the way, is it easy to grab a taxi at Virgin Gorda ferry pier and the top of Baths?

Re: taxis and the Baths - VERY easy

And you have some choices - IF you buy a return ticket, you can also buy a taxi slip from the same ferry company. If you do this - keep your taxi slip safe - it is your return ticket to the ferry.

However it is NOT necessary to do that - you will see LOTS of open-air buses etc when you get off the ferry. ANY of these should take you to The Baths - same thing coming back - there will be lots of them in the parking lot at the Top of the Baths.

Archived