Anyone do the Princess ship tour for Rays, Reef, and Rum Point?

14baja

I booked a last minute cruise for August 1st on the Emerald Princess, and we stop in Grand Cayman. I really wanted to do the Native Way Watersports tour, but unfortunately they are sold out. I can't find anyone else that goes to Rum Point, except for the ship tour. I don't usually do ship tours but I'm thinking about doing this one. I just wondered if anyone had done it, and if it is really crowded, or if it's okay?

I tried Native Way but they were sold out! :( So I'm just debating if the ship's tour will be okay, or if it will be way too overcrowded...? So was wondering if anyone was on the Princess excursion and what their thoughts are.

I tried Native Way but they were sold out! :( So I'm just debating if the ship's tour will be okay, or if it will be way too overcrowded...? So was wondering if anyone was on the Princess excursion and what their thoughts are.

Whether you go with Nativeway or the ship's excursion, you're going to the same beach, likely at about the same time...the number of people there won't change. :D Even if you were with Nativeway, you'd likely have to deal with the ship excursion crowds anyway...

Whether you go with Nativeway or the ship's excursion, you're going to the same beach, likely at about the same time...the number of people there won't change. :D Even if you were with Nativeway, you'd likely have to deal with the ship excursion crowds anyway...

Not really accurate info....sorry:(. I can't really tell you about Princess so much other than share our experience that we saw with Carnival. We did this tour in May through Nativeway. They go to Stingray City first (so as to miss the majority of the crowds) and then go on to the reef and Rum Point. When we got to Rum Point, we pulled up next to a big "cattle-type" boat that had at least 50 people on it all sandwiched together that were just leaving Rum Point. One of them said that they had gone to Rum Point first, had lunch, and were now headed to the stingrays. He asked if he could jump off his "cattle boat" and join us! Our boat had 7 other people on it besides our 3. Nativeway will not book anymore than 25 people max at a time.:) Nativeway and the cruise ships do this excursion exactly backwards so that everyone is not there at the same time.

When we got to Rum Point, there were others there of course, but it wasn't very crowded at all. We were given a yummy, generous sized lunch and about 1 1/2 hour there to play on the beach. (We rented waverunners which was a blast! The water is so calm and clear.) I would strongly suggest going with Nativeway as opposed to a cruise ship excursion. I have been on 8 cruises and have never booked through the cruise ship....and I have been on some amazing excursions with some very honest and personable tour operators that have always gotten me back to the ship on time. That's their livelihood...they don't want you to miss the ship either or their reputation will suffer. Just make sure you do your research and find a reputable one, of course! Whatever you do, go to Rum Point, you will love it! It is gorgeous!

I booked a last minute cruise for August 1st on the Emerald Princess, and we stop in Grand Cayman. I really wanted to do the Native Way Watersports tour, but unfortunately they are sold out. I can't find anyone else that goes to Rum Point, except for the ship tour. I don't usually do ship tours but I'm thinking about doing this one. I just wondered if anyone had done it, and if it is really crowded, or if it's okay?

We have done this excursion twice and have two different experiences with the amount of poeple at Rum Point and Stingray city. First time we were out to SRC before any other boats and RP wasn't busy at all. The second time SRC was packed and RP was full by the time we arrived. I would check CruiseTT dot com for the cruise ship schedule for GC and see how many other ships are in the day you are there.;)

Thanks for all the advice! I did get Native Ways to put me on their wait list in case they have a cancellation....I'm keeping my fingers crossed! But I'm probably going to have to take my chances with the ship tour, because I cannot find anything else out there (besides a private charter) that goes to the rays AND Rum Point. But I am going to check how many other ships are there that day, and hope it won't be too bad.

I know, I know, there's a lot of hoping and wishing in this post! :rolleyes:

Hey have you thought of doing a waverunner tour? Apparently there is one that goes to all of the same places....only you do so on a waverunner. It sounds really fun. I think the two businesses are Island Marketing and Fat Fish Tours. I'm sure you can find out more if you google them. Good luck and I hope you are able to find a way to get where you want to go. I am betting you will love your time in Grand Cayman no matter how you get to experience it! :)

Kathy

Archived