Celebration 2011

We are crusing on Thompson Celebration to gems of the aegean next july and if anyone is going this year on this cruise could give some insight of what to expect. How much are the shore trips, what to bring for the week and we hope to make friends with some fellow travellers on the trip.

We are crusing on Thompson Celebration to gems of the aegean next july and if anyone is going this year on this cruise could give some insight of what to expect. How much are the shore trips, what to bring for the week and we hope to make friends with some fellow travellers on the trip.

Hello :) We are doing this itinerary next year in June so I'll be able to report back before you set off with any information I've gathered about excursions and DiY options. We have done Istanbul before, adopting a DiY approach which is our preference provided it's easy. If we want to go to somewhere a distance from the port usually we will do the Thomson excursion for convenience.

I'm sure some travellers this year will be able to give some feedback on destinations and trips but in the meantime have you found the excursion information on the Thomson site?

If you click on 'Ports of Call' and go to Eastern Med the countries and ports of call come up. Click onto those you are visiting and it will give you some info on the excursions and costs. They're not necessarily comprehensive - there may be more once you get on board but they'll give you an idea.

Also, on this (Thomson) forum, if you do a search in the 'Search this forum' box and put in the destinations (do a separate one for each) you will find threads/discussions about the destinations - there has been quite a long one on Istanbul recently so that will be another source of information for you.

It looks like a really good itinerary - we're looking forward to it very much and enjoy all the planning and research beforehand. It's all part of the fun. And Celebration is such a lovely friendly ship. Enjoy! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks all for the advise, hope you have a good time andhopeto hear from you on your return. We are going for 1st time cruise and a bit apprehensive as what to expect.

Roger:)

I do know what you mean about being a bit apprehensive - I think that's a very common feeling - I certainly was before our fist cruise. But you will be amazed at how it all falls into place. Once you arrive at the airport, Thomson have a well-oiled machine which takes care of everything. You are directed to coaches for the transfer and once at the port there will be plenty of Thomson staff around to tell you what to do - basically get registered then get on board.

Staff will be waiting as you board to rtake you to your cabin and there is plenty of information there about the day's activities and the excursions on offer. Just take time to read the Cruise News which is delivered to your cabin each evening so you are aware of activities/arrangements for that day.

Once you have your bearings (not too difficult on Celebration - it's not a huge ship!) you will very quickly feel at home and very welcome on the ship - the crew are fabulous - so friendly and helpful.

It's like everything else, once you've done it you wonder why you ever had any misgivings - and like many of us here, you'll be keen to be repaeting the experience - as soon as possible! :D

and like many of us here, you'll be keen to be repaeting the experience - as soon as possible! :D

oh for the days I could take the family on a cheap package holiday. Once we had been on our first cruise there was no going back.......We were hooked:):)

What cash/debit card would be used on board if needed. Can you get money changed for Euro/Tlirea ir is it wise to have changed before departing. Is it formal or just shirt & tie for Captains night?.

We use our M&S Mastercard but I believe most major debit/cc cards are acceptable.

There is a currency exchnage desk on board but I don't think the exchange rate is as good as that which you can get before leaving home (M&S and Post Office are usually quite good - I noticed today M&S was better than the P.O. and neither charge commission).

We take Euros which are widely accepted in most places mainly to avoid having multiples of different currency - and getting small amounts left which you pay again to change it back to sterling. Any left over Euros we just save for next time! You do sometimes pay a bit more for coffees/drinks in non-euro countries but you have to weigh up whether the difference is worth bothering about. It depends really on how much you are likely to spend.

In Istanbul you do need TL for official sites though - the Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia, Cisterns and the tram. We took some TL with us for this purpose but under-estimated and had to draw some out of an ATM just outside the Blue Mosque. Small amounts left over can be spent on drinks postcards etc.

You can get away with just shirt and tie for formal night - but the norm is DJ or suit. It depends really on how you feel not being as dressed up as the majority. We do actually like getting our glad rags on - it's the only chance we get!! :D On these threads quite a few have said how much they enjoyed the gala night and getting dressed up - and having invested in a DJ for the first time (there are some bargains to be had - around £50 or even less) it's a great excuse to book another cruise to get your money's worth out of the DJ's and long frock!!!! ;)

Archived