Hampton Court or Greenwhich?

julieclair

We will be in London for a few days before our May 28 sailing on the Sea Princess. We would like to take a day trip one day, and are trying to decide between Hampton Court and Greenwich. We'd like to take a boat one way, and return to London via train. We are looking for feedback as to which would be the more interesting site for our family. We have two teenage boys. Thanks!

I hope that it's not simply because I know Greenwich better, but I would say Greenwich between these two.

The river cruise down there is pretty fun (about 60-90 minutes from Westminster, IIRC). Unfortunately, I don't think the craft market is open during the week and it doesn't look like you're going to be there on a weekend day. But there are the Cutty Sark, the National Maritime Museum and the old Royal Observatory. You can also take a further river cruise down to see the flood barrier at Woolwich, which is quite a feat of engineering. If you then take the Docklands Light Railway back to town, you will go through the Canary Wharf area where there are some pretty impressive office buildings - it's actually worth having a walk around just to see some of the highest-quality modern office architecture in London. The DLR can take you back to Tower Gateway, right next to the Tower of London, where you can also change to the Tube at Tower Hill, or you can go to Bank station where you are plugged straight in to the Tube as well.

And the best thing is that it's not nearly as far out of town as Hampton Court, so if it turns out to be a mistake and you want to get back into town and do something else instead, it's rather easier to do that.

I know Globaliser is from the UK and knows England far better than I ,but I was just entranced with Hampton Court.The history,the rooms,the grounds etc.it was a great way to spend the day.I guess either would be a good choice..have a great trip no matter what you do.

There's nothing wrong with Hampton Court Palace - it's full of history and it's got pretty grounds etc. It's just that it's rather further away, and I think Greenwich would hold more appeal for two teen boys.

I've just had a look at the opening hours of the market. Not as bad as I thought, it's Thurs-Sun.

I'm glad to hear the market will be open on a Friday, which is when I think we would be going. I think my boys would enjoy wandering around there. I have been doing some research, and it sounds like the boat trip to Greenwich takes about an hour, and the one to Hampton Court takes about 3 hours. So I think Greenwich will be our destination. We'll add Hampton Court to our ever-lengthening list of "things to do on future trips to Britain!"

• 2 weeks later...

I live within 5 miles of Hampton Court. There is local train service from Waterloo which takes about 35 minutes. The boat trip from central London takes a lot longer due to the way it meanders. It does pass through some lovely areas, Kew, Richmond and Kingston etc. You can pick up rail services from these towns if you still wish for a river trip as well.

• 2 months later...

Thank you, Globaliser! We want to go on a Saturday and have time to get back to London for a theater performance that evening. The train both ways may be the best way to go. I can't tell if the travel card covers the trip to Hampton Court Palace like it does to Windsor. Do you know anything about this?

Thank you!

The train both ways may be the best way to go. I can't tell if the travel card covers the trip to Hampton Court Palace like it does to Windsor. Do you know anything about this?
Yes, assuming that Hampton Court station is the one you need for the Palace. (I have to admit to not actually knowing, as I know I'd drive there! :)) That station's in Zone 6, so a Zone 1-6 Travelcard will cover it. Have a look at this map from TfL.

The station is two hundred yards approx. from the Palace entrance across the River Thames. Do not catch train to Hampton or Hampton Wick which are on a different route. This happens often and I pick up passengers in my taxi and get to the right station.

Thank you for the great information! We are excited to be spending a few days in London before our cruise, and we have never seen Hampton Court Palace. We love British history. My grandfather came to the US from Scotland when he was 3 years old. His parents divorced and his dad returned to Scotland. I probably have all kinds of relatives in the UK!

The issue - IMHO - is what turns you all on and how much time you have. Once you are off the boat a lot of Greenwich is not all that wonderful - unless you have a car and can whizz by the grotty bits. Greenwich Park - near the Observatory - and The Naval College, which is close to the Cutty Sark site are well worth a visit.

Greenwich

The Boat ride takes you past a lot of London's historical - and modern - sites and buildings. I found the tannoyed narrative very informative and interesting.

The Thames Barrier is also visited by some boats - check the exact itineraries.

Hampton Court

As other posts indicate this is a great site with lots of olde history and if you go by car can be tied in with a trip to Windsor, from where you can visit Eton by walking over the Thames spanning bridge - great views of Windsor Castle - only 1000 years old in some parts.

Well, we are leaving for London on Tuesday, and have decided that our choice will be Greenwich. Can hardly believe we'll actually be there on Friday of this week!! Will have to save Hampton Court for our next trip to the UK, whenever that may be. Thanks to everyone for your very helpful advice and tips. When we return home, I'll post an update with details of our trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we have returned from our fabulous trip -- a few days in London, followed by the 5/28 Sea Princess cruise out of Southampton. We hated to return home!

I did want to give an update of our trip to Greenwich. We had a great time -- there is so much to do there, that we wished we had alotted a full day to it, instead of only a half-day. We took the Docklands Light Railway train to and from Greenwich. Had planned to take the boat one way, but it was a really hot day and we thought we would bake. Plus the DLR was included for free in our Zones 1 & 2 tube pass. We took the requisite photos of the kids (boys ages 16 & 13) standing on the prime meridian, set our watches to Greenwich Mean Time, wandered through the town and the market, gazed at the Cutty Sark, and wished we had enough time to really explore the Maritime Museum. We'll have to do that on a future visit, I suppose.

Thanks to everyone for your advice! We had a great time!

Just returned from London this week and loved Hampton Court- only 30 min from Waterloo station and a 3pound 50 round trip. Maybe with 2 small boys Greenwich might have more entertainment value but my nephew and his dad enjoyed the maze while my sister and I were agog at the gardens. If you go stop into their gift shop where you can buy a set of cards with all the monarchs throughout British history and details of their reigns on the other side. I have coveted this since a friend showed me theirs when I commented on their amazing knowledge of British history. It's called "Instant Knowldge" and is very reasonable

Thanks again for all your help, Globaliser. The London Transport site is fantastic. I found a way to get to one of our places of interest in half the time it would taken had I followed my own plan.

The little area maps also show the locations of the nearest pubs!!! :)

Is there somewhere to have a nice lunch at/near Hampton Court Palace? Also, how frequently do the trains run?

Thank you!

My family enjoyed their lunch at an Indian restaurant right there in the part of town close to the train station but didn't get the name. They did say service was very slow but the food was good.

Archived